Is there a difference between saying "i love you" and "im in love with you"?

my boyfriend of 6/7 months have said "i love you" and "i love you so much" to me a lot of times and yes he shows a lot of efforts and affections in our relationship and we have great sex but he has never said "im in love with you" ...
is there a difference? i know you can love your family and friends.. but you can't be "in love" with them. or am i just being paranoid?

• No difference
  • There is a difference

44

Most Helpful Guy

• Grammatically , there is no difference , but PERSONALLY when I interact with my girlfriend , sometimes we're on a date and it gets too intimate I feel like 'I'm in love with you' is more intimate or like a subduement?
    But that's my own opinion , you're being paranoid , there's no difference , the only difference comes when you're in a romantic moment and you can feel the affection slipping in between whatever he says.

Most Helpful Girl

• When you’re in love with someone, you want this person
    When you love someone, you need this person.

When you’re in love with someone, your emotions are always on high.
    When you love someone, your emotions settle and then fluctuate

Sponsored

What Guys Said 3

• U r being paranoid.
    In love with u is just another way to say it
    It depends what language or sentences he is used to use this all :)

• Since you put this in break ups and divorce... I'm guessing it's not working out? Also there is a difference between "I love you" and "I love you". It's all context and tone. English is ambiguous, ask him to say it in Greek, you'll have a better understanding then.

What Girls Said 3

• there is no real difference. i feel like people say "i'm in love with you" once. but "i love you" a lot. like... the former is an introductory statement. lol. fuck.

• I voted B.
    "I'm in love with you" sounds more romantic and intimate, haha. Because we don't say "I'm in love with you" to a family member that we love deeply, right? XD
    So do you say "I'm in love with you" to your boyfriend? :-)

• Hahaha girls to guys answers