How long do I wait for him to break up with me?

My boyfriend is about to break up with me. I overheard him talking to a friend. He said, "So... I don't think I'm really wanting a relationship right now, and I feel bad because it's going to crush her if I tell this to her."
I saw this coming as we haven't talked in more than a week and have only seen each other once in four weeks. During this time, I have gathered myself together and moved on. I just assumed he'd ghost me.
The reason I want him to do it is because he needs closure, and he didn't get it with the last girl. I already know how I'm going to respond (don't worry- it'll be respectful).
How long am I supposed to wait until he breaks up with me?
I don't really want to wait too long for this. I'm ready to date other people or just keep moving on with my life.

I called to see if we could meet in person tomorrow. He didn't answer which is another reason why I was going to let him be the one to end things.
Would it be rude to break up over textmessage or voice mail since he's not answering?

36

Most Helpful Guy

• Coming from a guy myself, if you are truly sure that this is how he feels then make a move. The thing is he may never say anything and just move away from you (metaphorically speaking) and take a new path. What i would do is just find a time when you can simply see him or somehow get in contact just so you can ask him "Hey 'boyfriends name', I just wanted to check in with you about how you are feeling about our relationship. I have noticed that we haven't gotten together or contacted eachother in a very long time now and would just like to know what we should do about our relationship? If things are not what you had hoped and aren't working out then how about we communicate and decide whether or not to stay together. The best thing is for the both of us to be happy and if you and/or I don't feel like we are the right fit then we should discuss it. " Something along these lines may just be the quickest and most direct way to just get your point across without having to worry. I hope this works out.
    ~David

Most Helpful Girl

• Either do it yourself or start dating but don't do anything until he breaks it off as it's still just classed as hanging out with a new friend until you do something.

He's the one that's dragging his feet. Maybe for legit reasons in his head.

What Guys Said 5

• Once your mind knows , that he is not going to be your future partner , your passion to be with him should stop and culminate into an immediate break up. Instead of waiting for him to break up with you , you should break up with him.

• break up with him if you've already moved. Who knows how long it could take him and why would you waste more time waiting for him.

• Just do it hun or completely ghost him. Get it over one way or the other. You'll feel better!

• break up with him. say him that you heard his conversation and that you feel the same and that everything is ok with you and you are not crushed.

• Just tell him what you heard and end it in a text

What Girls Said 2