Pretty rich successful girl and lowlife guy?

So i come from money have a college education (Bach and masters) just opened my own business , I come from money and I pretty much have all the material things I've ever wanted. But one thing , love. The love of my life is a lowlife druggy living paycheck to paycheck using it on drugs and alcohol and really not doing anything with his life. He just has a HS education. His friends are the same as him. Long story short we met when we were both 18 and 24 now. It's been a roller coaster for all these years with us and over the weekend he cut it off. I asked "was I not good enough?" And he said "thats the problem, you're good enough just not good enough for me. You need to stop wasting your time on me and guys like me."

How would you interpret these words?

410
Sponsored

What Guys Said 10

• I was an addict from 18 to 23. If he has not changed by now than he likely won't. Why would you stay with him if he isn't trying to help himself? Him saying your too good for him probably has nothing to do with your well offness. It has to do with him being a drug addict. Let him go hun, go find a guy on your level, goal wise. A couple should always be equals. It should be like you guys both go do your own thing and when you come together it's like magic. Do not try to drag him up from anything. He has to want it for himself and he damn sure won't do it for you.

• Sounds like a bad romance novel.
    But the drugs make it a bad romance, period.
    If he's using drugs, you need to cut it off.

Also, since you got money, why didn't you put him in rehab. I know it doesn't work if the other doesn't want to go, but you never know if it might help.

• It not so much rehab it's not at that level. He does marijuana every day and I'm occasion coke or whatever you call it

• Well, he's trying to let you know you are too good for him and he'll never climb to your level.
      Sounds like he has no ambition to better himself, and that's no good in a relationship or life.

• "babe, you're a dumb ass bitch for wasting time on me. i only put up with you cuz you bought be some lines, now I got a another crack hoe so I don't need your flat ass no mo. peace"

• Never bought him anything unless it was a birthday gift. He's not much of a druggy I meant it in a way that he does marijuana every single day and coke on occasion. He's not at the level that he needs rehab. And I don't have a flat ass ;) lol

• the wording druggy irritates me. just lower living standards from his side only would still be okay in my opinion. but beware of excessive drinkers and drug users...

• you should spent more of your time with him and show all your love coz you only can stop him from taking drugs so make a wise choice help him

• Sorry, but finances do matter. Trust me.

• That's what I hate. Sometimes I wish I wasn't born with all the privileges. He told his aunt a few ago that "is never be able to give her all he's used to "

• But it is his (or anybody at his situation) responsibility to reduce the gap.

• He fills you can do better than him

• your position makes him self conscious. he's reminded of his failure

• they can't be together

• He likes partying with his friends more than he values you perhaps.

You don't need him to earn lots any time soon. You need him to clean himself up and that probably means ditching his friends. Hell you could even support him while he tried to do something beyond his current job (starting his own business or getting some kind of training or whatever). But he'd need to grow up. And it doesn't seem like he's got it in him.

What Girls Said 4

• Get rid of him... now. Its a pissibility down the line he may change. But do you really want to stick around wasting your time and energy to find out? You should always want to date someone who is uplifting you in a positive direction. When I date guys, I ask myself this question and If I feel that person is draining me. I get rid of them or ghost them. You dont owe anyone an explanation on why you do things.

• You're right. When we met he had so many aspirations and wanted to do so much. He's just changed for the worse and I don't think he will turn around. Thank you :)

• After time you will see that it is a good thing, a blessing not a curse. He will always drag you down. Granted our relationship was shorter, but almost the same circumstances (minus the substance abuse). He was younger then me and not motivated at all, he used the same words on me (several times actually) and ended up breaking it off. You deserve so much better, eventually you would have started resenting it and he would use you for your money. Life would never be happy and God forbid you would have children w/him. Its very easy to fall for broken people and the love is real, but you would be signing up for a life of total misery. He sees he isn't good enough for you, so he is letting you go.

• Help him

• He's too prideful. When we meet he wouldn't do none of that. Now he's always high and on occasion coke. But he's not at the level of rehab. If you get me.

• I've been in love with his since I was 18 and we are both about to be 25. And it hurts letting him go. He wanted to do so much with his life. And leaving behind the love of your life is heartbreaking. But you're right I do have to find someone good enough for me.

• Best of luck

• It seems like he wants you to date within your "class". Social class.
    On the social pyramid he would be near the bottom, "poverty", since he lives pay check to paycheck and has no positive characteristics that would benefit society. You on the other hand would be, high middle class/low high class. Educated, entrepreneur, success full. You two are in 2 very different zones.

From my interpretation, he wants you to date within your zone, someone who is educated, successful and positively motivated (like you are). The problem is not that you aren't good enough, the problem is that you are TOO GOOD (which is not really a problem).