Who is most likely to get full custody of a 6 month old baby?

My husband and I are getting a divorce.. we currently live in Georgia but My daughter and I are moving to Florida with my mother. I'm ( 20 ) and I'm going to work on getting my GED than go to college. I been taking care of my daughter since she came out of the womb ( Feeding, bathing, changing her diapers, taking her to doctors appointments , etc ) her father barely helps with that but he is the one that has a job and pays the bills. He's also an alcoholic and is very vertically abusive. Please help..

1410

Most Helpful Girl

• Reading this, I estimate you will. What you will need to do is document that you are tending to the child. Meaning, get any records of the doctors' appointments and take pics of you taking care of here etc. You also should find a way of documenting his behaviour, if possible. Then you can make it a custody case, and have increased the likeliness of you winning.

You also have the advantage of being a woman here, since often it is decided a child should remain with its mother, especially in america. Strange question, but are you breastfeeding? Because that would also help, seeing as you would be the only one able to feed the child without it having to adapt to bottle feeding.

I wish you good luck and I am sorry you have to go through this.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 10

• Right now without even doing anything to prove he's not fit, you'll have an 85% chance of getting sole custody of the child. Courts are heavily biased against men and only see the women as being able to take care of a child even if it's the women is horrible and the father is a great dad. But since you've posted below that you have pictures of him smoking weed and drinking excessively you'll get full custody. However, when your child grows up don't bash their father for what he's done or is. You don't want to do that to a kid. Also if the father actually matures and becomes better, start letting him see the kid on the weekends while you are there. There is nothing worse than a mom who bashes their father to the kid because of what happened during the breakup.

• I fully agree ! And I will not bash him when my little girl gets older , if he does mature than yes ! Go ahead and see your daughter and have an amazing relationship. But he's 39 and he's set in his ways..

• You may not be able to move out of state without approval of the court. You need to consult a family law attorney in your area.

• The mother is almost always awarded custody. If the after wanted full custody he'd have to prove you unfit as a parent whist proving himself to be an exceedingly profound example as a parent. I wouldn't worry about it love, you'll most likely take custody even without your GED and lack of job.

• Thank you so much ! This made me so happy !!!

• 90% of the time women get custody of a child. actual proven study

• If you can show the courts that he's abusive, then you 99% of the time.

• Wow I hope you learned from yoir mistakes firstly. Dont know the laws down there but most favor with the wife. If you can prove he is an unfit father that would help your case tremendously. Good luck!

• Thank you and yes I've learned from my mistakes lol

• Thank you so much 😊

• You are welcome!😊 anytime!

• the woman

• The mother. Unless she's a coke-head.

• The fact is, as of right now you and your husband have equal rights to your child. A divorce can be a long process, you will not be legally allowed to leave the State with
    His/your child without his permission. You would have to give the courts adequate reason to allow you to take the child away from her Father. It won't and shouldn't be easy, as a relationship between a Father and Child is an important one. Your best bet would be to have enough evidence to prove his parental inadequacy. Securing a job in Florida first would be beneficial as well. Good luck!

• He barely holds her or feeds her..

• Why did you ever reproduce with an alcoholic? Thats just fucking stupid.

• Maybe he became an alcoholic afterwards, or it was forced.

• calm down boi. you can love a person no matter what.

• He tricked me honestly. When we moved up here (GA) he started drinking a lot and he was going through a break up.. so I guess it's safe to say I was just a rebound and to make his ex jealous. I was young and dumb and wanted a taste of the free world. But I got pregnant and my life began and my eyes opened. I don't want to put my daughter in this abuse anymore. So yes I agree with you. I was stupid.

What Girls Said 13

• The mother will likely get the custody. Even if the father wasn't abusive or alcoholic, he's often overlooked.

• because of the age of the child. i would say custody would be awarded to you... however, if your state is like mine... he must *legally* agree to you moving out of the state with the child. it could backfire & be considered kidnapping & at that point, he will be awarded custody because it would be considered that you are preventing a relationship with the father. please consult a divorce lawyer before you make any moves. jic you need an alternate plan.

• Just gather evidence to back up his neglect but most likely you're going to land the custody of your child, hope it works out well

• Will do and thank you so much !

• Generally the mother gets custody and I would assume he'll have to pay alimony and child support if he's employed and you are not.

• Sounds like you have a better chance, but who knows. Something else might happen such as parent classes and all of these other stuff. You can never tell.

• Usually the mother will have the best chance of getting full custody especially if the child is that young.

• You are since you are the mother. Why'd you marry so young anyway

• Because I was dumb. And kinda got pressured into it.. I learned from my mistakes though.

• Maybe you, because he is an alcoholic they won't let someone like that get full custody

• It will be you.

• Sound like your child would be put in a host family or his grand parents.
    You have no jobs so they wouldn't give it to you and your husband is abusive and an alcoholic so he wouldn't have it either if you can prove it though. Only some video wouldn't be enough to prove he's an alcoholic.

Generally talking when a child is so young they give it to the mother (unless she's jobless which you are) after it depend on your country laws.
    Which one of you both gets the best lawyer win.

• I will be staying with my mother? Getting my life back together and indeed getting a job.

• Yes, but now you have nothing right? Then they would put him in another family or such then you would be able to ask for him when you have an appartement at your name and a stable job.

• Mother, the baby always needs her mother

• both of u

• Eh to be honest with you it's more on the side of if you can prove that he's what you're describing and who has the money to provide for the baby. The jury only cares about the now and may see your reasons as a way to get them to sympathize you. Or they will allow you to keep her because you are the one who literally had her. Tbh again you should really get the proof 💯.