Does religion matter to you?

My girlfriend believes in Christianity, while I do not and she always "remind" me that if I am not a Christian, she cannot marry me. This is troubling as I would always hold back my love and sacrifice for her because I feel like we will not have any future.

My religion is obviously not Christianity and so do my parents. Hence, converting my religion for my girl would go against my parents, the religious that i grow up with and also be shameful in front of my friends (for listening to girl too much).

Nonetheless, I feel that having a different religion is really not a problem and its just that she is against it. I am not a very "religious" guy, but to go against my parents religious for a woman, i feel that its unfilial and shameful.

812
Sponsored

What Girls Said 8

• The problem has to do with the fact that she believe's a Relationship with Jesus is a religion. If you knew this, then it's best that you two cut ties. There is no rule/law that says that she can't marry somebody outside of the faith. But it's a major risk. Because if you don't share the same values, or views, especially when children get's involved, it can become disastrous. And that's with any faith or religion. You shouldn't convert to religion at all. And as a Christian, I'm telling you this. To surrender to God and repent of your sins, yes. To become a believer, absolutely yes, because you need a savior. HOWEVER. Never do this just because you want to be with somebody. Ever. It wouldn't work out well for you. But it should always matter because that person's believes is a part of them and who makes them up as people. To turn to God should be your personal choice. She's being very hypocritical for dating you, yet she refuses to marry you. So unless she can give logical arguments. She's being irrational right now. 1Corinthians 7 fully explains, just like another user have posted, though you should read only KJV/NKJV, that is is your choice as a non-believer to want to dwell with her. And if you don't want to anymore, they are not obligated to make you stay with them. It's basically this: Your choice to marry, your choice to divorce if you want out. However, that's one of the ONLY logical reason to not get married to a non-believer. Because as Christians, whether, religious or not, spiritual or carnal, we shouldn't believe in divorce, unless it's because of adultery. It's risky, and divorce is heartbreaking for any human being. But again, if you can't make that sacrifice for her, then you need to marry and only date somebody within your faith if your not willing to take the plunge over what other people say you should and shouldn't do. It's free will.

• i am definitely no expert on the bible, as i am not overly religious. here are some verses regarding the subject, but she may have some good come backs, I don't know. you do not mention your religion. i would imagine some religions would definitely clash, but i could also be wrong on that... but you are an adult, you are your own person & make your own decisions. your parents should respect you as a person regardless of your decision.

1 Corinthians 7:14 ESV

For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.
    ___________________________

1 Corinthians 7:13 ESV

If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him.
    ___________________________

1 Corinthians 7:15 ESV

But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.
    ___________________________

1 Peter 3:1-2 ESV

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct

• It matters a little to me. I'm Catholic more or less and I'd like to get married in the future in a church, raise my children as Catholic (get them Christened, Communion, Confirmation etc.). In that sense, religion is important to me. I wouldn't mind marry an atheist or anything if they were ok with the above happening.

• Well i don't think an atheist would approve such thing,,

• I'm a guy who fought a long way to trust his own judgment, i wouldn't want my children to be blinded by any kind of religion or Idea without being able to question and doubt everything

• You'd actually be surprised. Where I'm from, most atheists don't give a damn. Most schools where I'm from are Catholic so communion and confirmation and everything are part of that so they happen regardless. It's just our way of life here.

• Yes my faith matters to me and I won't enter a relationship with someone who doesn't share my faith. It's unfair towards the other person (you will have differences, there may be pressure and it could result in conflict) and it also just makes for a messy relationship. I couldn't imagine having a intimate special bond with someone who cannot share what I believe in as funamentally that is a huge part of me.

• Then why is she with you?
    If I know I can't marry someone, I would not lead them on. That's quite foolish in my opinion.

yes, religion is important to me.

• What religion r U? i Have huge respect for Islam Religion, there's no way around that especially if U r the husband she should convert for you! Not the other way around, this goes for all religions.

• To some people it matters, especially if they are very traditional (like the girl you are talking about), but to me it doesn't matter honestly. I personally identify as Christian, but I wouldn't diss someone if they weren't. :) I would give someone a chance whether they were athiest, Jewish, buddhist, etc.

• I don't believe in any religion.

• and i wouldn't be with a man who couldn't respect that.

What Guys Said 12

• I am an atheist and I could not be with someone who would keep saying stuff like that to me. You are free to believe whatever crazy bullshit you want as long as you are not harming yourself or others then I have to say your beliefs are wrong and should not be welcomed.

• I'm not an atheist but I'm not religious either. I'm​ spiritual to be precise. Religion doesn't matter to me, but of course it's ruining society, dividing people and provoking wars in middle Eastern countries.

• 0|0
    • She's saying "Convert or I dump you!"

You don't have to accept that.

• Funny how she doesn't want to marry a non-Christian yet she has no problem dating / getting screwed by one. A true Christian is first and foremost not judgmental, loving and accepting.

• I am also against it... and I don't believe in any religion... but I never treat them like I don't respect them.. it is just I don't need them other can do what ever he wants.. so she is acting really bad... and me to not a Christian... Andi won't change my religion for a lady...

• Instead of converting because your girlfriend wants you to, try converting because Christianity is the one true faith.

• If you are both intelligent and care about each other, you won't let that bullshit stand in the way. Understand that every single religion in existance is at least 95% bullshit made up by humans, and the remaining 5% might actually have a bit to do with some sort of a god ir higher force. So its beyond stupid for you two not to be together because of such dumb shit

• Well I'm an Ex muslim, atheist now,, i don't care about religion of others but if they were acting like your girlfriend, that would be a problem

• yeah, it is.

• No. Religion is just a philosophy that a person follows. Who they are on the inside matters more.

• Then break up, don't try to change her beliefs and if she's trying to change yours it won't work out anyways

• I hate religious people.