Should I give my girlfriend who cheated on me one more chance?

She seems genuinely sorry and has not been taking the break up lightly at all. She said she'll do anything on my terms to earn my trust back and so forth.

Is it a good idea to ever take back anyone who's cheated on you? Would appreciate any answer.

412

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had three men cheat on me.

The first had dinner with the girl, I know for sure he put his tongue in her mouth and he ended up on her couch so no idea if he slept with her or not. I forgave him. He continued to cheat three more times behind my back.

Second guy hid everything from me and I only found out when I did some serious digging after things didn't add up. Forgave him. He continued to cheat on me with other women and I only found out after we broke up.

Third dude went to different girl's houses and slept with them, I never knew about it until one of them slipped up and told me.

After my experiences I'd never forgive a cheater no matter how much I cared for them. If they honestly treasured me and the relationship they wouldn't have done it in the first place. Just my two cents

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a judgement call, there are no guarantees either way. It's entirely possible that you can get past it, but no guarantees.

What I would want to know, if I were in your shoes, is why she cheated. I'd want to know how it happened and why it happened. I wouldn't accept some bullshit like "It just happened" because nothing just happens when it comes to people. People make decisions, whether they try to deny it or not. She made a decision to cheat, whether it was planned or not. I'd want her to acknowledge that it was a decision and I'd want to know how that decision came about. Unless she is entirely realistic about the whole episode then she will not learn any lessons and she is not truly sorry. If you're making excuses for yourself then you're not sorry enough.

What Girls Said 3

• Can't base it solely on that since some relationships can bounce back from a break of trust like that. I personally would choose to not forgive the person. Even if I were to continue the relationship, it wouldn't be enjoyable anymore. There would be constant distrust, insecurity, paranoia, and overall a crappy feeling whenever I think about what they've done.

• I don't recommend it, but you know the situation best.

• if I were you I wouldn't

What Guys Said 11

• No never take a girl back after she cheats. You have to deal with the hurt feelings and move on focus on yourself or on another girl. I don't understand I'm sorry for cheating. Cheating isn't a mistake, it's not hard to not cheat. Sometimes people seem genuine but don't set yourself up to be hurt again.

• this is a really serious situation
    have been in one myself
    see it completely depends on you
    whether or not you're ready for it

but beware that if you do you need to be 100% sure in your heart that you've forgiven her
    if there is even a slightest bit of doubt than you both will regret getting back together

*apologies to all feminist* but some girls do this drama because their new relation doesn't work so they realise you were better

you need to really perceive whether her apologies are genuine and whether it's with it or not

rest assured
    take care x

• It all depends on how yoy really feel about her. Cheating, if handled properly can make a relationship stronger. But you need to have an open mind, and be prepared to explore why it happened.
    To my way of thinking, everyone is entitled to a fun fuck now and then, as long as it stays at that.

• I have never been in that situation before so the person who is giving you his opinion right now is completely un-experienced. I personally think i wouldn't give her a second chance but who knows what my opinion will be if i ever were in that situation !

• Nope

• No. Lots of girls out there who will love you for who you are

• Nope.

• NO. you shouldn't

• no you should not

• She's a whore!!! Get rid of her!!! You're making a big mistake. C'mon what are you thinking?

Imagine you marry her and have kids her with her. Than find out years later one your kids aren't yours?

I know it's hard to break up with her. But that's the right thing to do. People don't ever cheat once. That's a fact!!!

• i think that if she cheated on you just on a physical level (meaning she just had sex with someone, not actually start dating another guy and have feelings for him) you should give her another chance
    people make mistakes and this is a big one, but i dont think you should lose your sagnificant other if she truly regrets it and understand how bad ut hurts to you