Adequate amount of time to get over someone and start dating again?

In my case we were together 3 years and it was a semi-mutual breakup. I didn't want us to, but he and I fought so much that it got to both of our breaking points. Now instead of staying close we've only drifted apart. It's hard for me because what I thought was a break is more obviously a breakup now. Even though I'm hurt, I wanna spare myself the tears and loneliness by dating... but I also don't wanna rebound cause I don't wanna do that to the new guy...

so tell me what YOU believe is the right amount of time, from the day of breakup, to wait before really trying to date someone else. Enough time so that it's not a jerk move towards your ex nor too soon to actually care about someone new?

• You can start dating as soon as the day or day after you break up.
  • Around 2-4 weeks.
  • At least a month, but preferably 1-3 months.
    Vote C
  • 6 months to a year to truly heal.
    Vote D
  • 1 year or more
    Vote E
Sorry if you wanted a specific like 3-6 months In there. Please comment if you do and explain your reasoning!

817
Sponsored

What Guys Said 17

• I can't tell you. There is no time lmit. You have to get over him first thats that, no is or ands about it. You aren't sparing yourself by mindless dating. You are only prolonging the pain, sadness, and loneliness.

• Only you can say how long you need but a longer relationship should have a longer recovery when it ends

• Depends on you. It varies from person to person.

• I tend to be dating the next person before I break up with someone.

• Take about 3 months per year, and multiply it by 2 if you honesty loved him.

Took me a year after a 5 year relationship!

• i wanna know that too... but as soon as possible looks good..

• I think after 2-4 weeks you can safely so out dating without just rebounding :D. I don't think people can date right after because it might not always be the cleaniest break!

• next day 👌... man if you get the right guy he will help you to get over. it...👌

• Don't be ridiculous, people in a relationship date, going out to eat with someone is going out to eat with someone, that's not a date, I take a girl to a movie for the company of having someone to laugh with, it's not a date it's a damn movie, and the movie was Batman not some stupid chick flick, you think to much, do what you want and try not to scare any guys off with your sad puppy eyes and sweaty palms of desperation..

• Honestly it all depends on you. I was on again off again with a girl for 3 years... that was 3 years ago and I'm still trying to get over her, and being a shy guy doesn't help..

• However long it takes for you to get over the past relationship

• Beats me, its been almost 2 years and I still haven't been able to!

• As long as possible.

• Depends why it ended

• 0 go find the one

• I say start dating again once you fully get over your last significant other.

• Right away would be the worst thing you could do. Of course it depends how it ended though. Have the courtesy, etiquette for those years and wait a little.

• And in my opinion minimum three months and up depending on how serious it was. YOu could still have fun with friends and all. There are many ways to keep yourself busy and get your spirits up

What Girls Said 8

• I definitely say take 6 months to a year to truly heal. Because whether or not that person thinks their ready, they're really not. If they haven't taken the time to reevaluate why that relationship failed, learned their mistakes and focus on changing destructive patterns and behaviors, they can resurface those habits and memories with other people and end up in either a rebound or round two for heartbreak again of the same situation. Just with a different person. It really depends on that person. But I say to be safe to wait 6+ months. If there is somebody who is interested, you start very slowly and be friends first, ask questions that concern you and don't get emotionally invested so quickly. I don't care how much chemistry you have. DON'T DO IT! No matter how tempted you are. Make sure you have somebody who can support you on your maturity and growth along the way before you start seeking a potential dating partner.

• Tbh its really to do with you, yourself and how ur body is gonna deal with it.

Its all in ur mind that u are still thinking about him or going back there with him in ur mind.. its all about time, taking time for ur body/mind to change. Its like u can take as much of the aquired time to heal.

And only up to you to know whether ur ready or not... not by a planned date or what others recommend, because this isn't something u can force. So patience... and take ur time to recover. Its up to u gurly u got this ;)

• Whenever something like that I go out more often and meet guys to take my mind off things I'm not looking for anything serious with them I just want fun until I heal. I just want casual dates and stuff so I don't sit at home crying and eating a bucket of ice cream about 2 months or so I take to fully recover

• I think it is very subjective. I would wait until I am truly over him until I start a new relationship. I once started dating another guy when I was still in love with my ex. And I ended up breaking that guys heart because He fell hard for me but I wasn't in love with him.

• Depends on yourself. I'd say you can date for fun immediately but be sure you're ready before committing.

• depends on the couple and the circumstances surrounding the breakup.

• Right time depend on person. sometimes people might not get rid of stucking ideas on their brains for years. sometimes u can heal easily due to the fact that u fall in love another boy.

• Honestly I think it depends on how long you were together and how you personally handle things. I think it could be the next day or 5 years years later... I mean it all depends on you... there is no rule book and you just have to do what is best for you. The whole showing respect to the relationship thing is silly to me... you already did that hence why you were in it for 3years... this is your time, do whatever is best for you.