My depressed boyfriend (ex) broke up with me but wants to remain friends, why?

My boyfriend has been suffering with depression for over 3 months now and it has effected our relationship as a result. Initially when we met and for the first 3/4 months we were very happy together and really enjoyed each others company and loved each other very much. We did both still love each through the stages of his depression however it became harder for us to move forward as he couldn't see any posties in anything within his life - He said this had nothing to do with me it was other issues outside of our relationship he had issues with (work, family, the past) I have done my most to support him regardless but equally this has been difficult for myself as I have ended up receiving negative information.

On numerous occasions we have talked about whether its worth us being together right now based on what he is going through. I personally would want to stay with him in a relationship but equally I am struggling with the situation. He has also said he feels selfish for bringing me in with him into this at this difficult time and just wants to make me happy. He is currently taking medication and his is also receiving counselling so is doing something about it.

Previously we have nearly broken up but ended up staying together because we both love and care for each other so much. However yesterday he told me he couldn't continue our relationship anymore as he is struggling with his illness and needs to get better on his own - I have been so sad as this is the last thing I want however I know it may be for the best. I said I will be there for him if he needs me but equally I feel I will struggle to remain friends with someone I love. He made it clear he wants to remain friends and speak now and again but I was unsure if this would be right or not.

Do you think I should still speak with him as friends? Do you think he may potentially he may be wanting to stay friends in hope we could get back together in the future?

13

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to keep in touch with him then do it, we can at least both tell that he wants to keep talking to you.
    Its definitely possible that he's expecting you to get back together after he's "fixed" but doesn't wanna have the burden of being in a relationship holding him back from what he needs to do. Its doubtful here that'd he'd complain if you did find someone else but wanting to wait or not is all up to you and your needs.

• Thank you for your response! What your saying is very true, it's a very hard situation I guess. I know he says he cares for me a lot so there is a possibility we could get back together. I'm not sure. But yeah I guess ultimately it's up to me what I decide

What Guys Said 2

• Adult babysitting... time to move on.

• I bet he had to be the Hunter

What Girls Said 1

• I know this too well, I was dating a very depressed person for about 3 years.. it really didn't have anything to do with me, he was already depressed when we met. It doesn't always show because some days they truly do have good days, its important to support them however they mostly want to remain friends because its one thing that they can potentially control in order to not feel even worse. But it is important that he realizes that he needs to overcome.