Being friends with my ex whilst dating someone else?

So me and my ex were together for nearly 2 years, but I'd say for the past 4/5 months our relationship has been very strained and it felt more like we were friends rather than boyfriend/girlfriend. Over the 2 years we did fight a lot and disagreed about a lot of things, which led to us breaking up like once or twice. However we did have fun and it was a great relationship but things just weren't right and it was time for it to end. To me it kind of feels like the relationship had already ended a long time before the official breakup so I did a lot of my "moving on" whilst still in the relationship.

We still want to be friends and hang out and message each other, which we have managed to do with no problems. For the time we were going out we were essentially each other's best friends and he was the main person I spoke to so it would seem odd to suddenly have him cut out of my life.

About 3 weeks after we broke up whilst on a night out, I met another guy and we kissed. Since then me and this guy have been talking and we've arranged to meet up tomorrow, which would be a month after my breakup with my ex. This guy I've been talking to is really nice and really easy to talk to.

But a part of me feels kind of guilty because I haven't told my ex this is happening and that if he finds out he might think I'm moving on too soon. So I really. have two questions, is it too early for me to start dating again? And also is it weird to still be such good friends with my ex whilst dating someone else?

13

What Guys Said 3

• Not too early. Stay friends with ex. Hopefully he won't be hurt, but even if he is, you have to live your life.

• definitely tell him, but still do it and enjoy yourself

• No. I have 7 ex's and I still nail them all. The one I have a child with is a bit of a headache but every now and again we have sex as well. All of this while currently dating.

• ohh you are one of those
      good luck bro

• yes I do know more then you thats a fact
      just know you are accountable

• @Logitech123 All people are accountable but whatever.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think it's too early, especially if the relationship already ended months before you actually broke up. I do however feel it is a bit unfair to still be talking to your ex while talking to this new guy. Being friends with an ex might work out if you guys were friends after you breakup for a while before you started dating someone new, but even then it's not a good idea. I don't want to be dating someone who is good friends with their ex or even hangs out with their ex. That's a deal breaker for me now.

You guys were more than best friends. You were lovers. And now you are over. So leave the past in the past and move on. You broke up for a reason. I understand it's hard to let someone go who was such a huge part of your life for so long, but if you want to truly move on and be happy and pursue something with someone else, you're going to have to let him go.

I don't really think it's okay to still be friends with someone you were once so intimate and close with when you are with someone else. I think it's disrespectful to anyone that you might end up with later. If you aren't willing to let go of your ex, then you aren't over them yet.

I made the mistake of trying to stay friends with an ex and when he casually told me about his new girlfriend (after a month of us being broken up) I, internally, freaked out with rage. I realized right then that it was not a good idea for me to be friends with an ex. Especially not right after a break-up.

Do what you feel is best, but remember that when it comes to dating you should not have to take into account the feelings and thoughts of your ex when it concerns someone new. And if you feel it necessary to do that, then you shouldn't be dating.