Would cheating be justified in this situation?

Say you were in an abusive relationship where you were afraid to leave your partner because s/he could harm you if you tried. However you were saving money and preparing to escape and end the relationship. You meet someone else who helps you and comforts you and truly cares about you and begin an affair with him/her. You couldn't have just broken things off with your current partner because you're not ready to make your escape.

(For those of you who have heard of it, I'm describing Jenna's situation from Waitress.)

812

What Guys Said 12

• Revenge with Kevin Costner

• yes its cheating

• Yes. If this other guy of yours can protect you and can support you, and he wants to, leave the abuser guy.

• i'd say yes

• Justified and don't tell him.

• it is still cheating which is wrong though being in an abusive relationship is even worse. what do you think?

• that's a risk if the abusive one finds out, your life could be at risk

• yes...

• sounds like you need to call the police.

• I think that there is nothing wrong in doing this

• no its not cheating.

• No it wouldn't

What Girls Said 8

• Being in an abusive relationship, I wouldn't consider it cheating. When you're close to death or a situation you can seriously get hurt in, you become desperate to get out. Whichever way you choose to do it, will save you big time. For those saying it is cheating has clearly never been in an abusive relationship. Physical abuse can turn deadly, and if someone is willing to help you out of it and save you, take it! I didn't move on with another man. Luckily, my ex was put in jail for beating up a police officer so I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe he was arrested so I could safely leave without him getting in my way. A year later, I am with a wonderful man.

• I'd say yeah.

• It's okay in that instance

• Any type of abuse is never ok. I wouldn't recommend justifying that with cheating. Both abuse and cheating are wrong. Because if they find out that you're cheating then the abuse can get worse for you. If you need help, because you feel you can't escape then call the authorities. They'll help you get out of that situation.

• Cheating can never be justified. We never just accidentally pick out an abuser either. We marry our emotional equal. Chances are this new guy that you're with is going to abuse you too, Maybe not physically, but you will get abused in some way. Were you ever abused as a child by your dad either emotionally or physically? If I were you I would seek out counseling for yourself and get those childhood wounds healed before you venture into another relationship with anybody

• I wouldn't say justified. More like understandable.

• Yeah I think whatever gets you out of the dangerous situation is fine. But cheating can also cause other problems, especially with the abusive ex.

• No one was stopping you from leaving. Literally walk away. He's not breathing down your neck 24/7.