Why does my ex contact me out of the blue, only to tell me about all of his troubles?

I have begun to see a pattern develop: every summer, my ex (we dated for 8 mos) contacts me out of nowhere, becomes instantly free to see me, we hang out and before I know it, he is gone. Of course after we broke up (I broke up with him), we talked a bit until I cut all ties. By chance, we ran... Show More

*And speaking to him is painful, he is boring and depressing and makes me want to jump out of my skin-- Why has he gotten this way?...Or maybe he has always been boring, who knows.
I have always felt and will always feel a sort of competitive vibe between him. It seems as if his life goal is to 1up me. And I am fully aware that he is a negative influence on my life and a user. I am fully capable of letting go but deep down I can't.