Does an open relationship work?

I have been with my boyfriend for over three years now, and I am absolutely in love with him. However, recently I realized that I would like to pursue the attention I've been getting from other guys (which is a lot since I'm a pretty girl working in a male-dominated field).

I believe my boyfriend and I could have a long happy marriage with kids and a house and the whole thing, but at the same time I feel that I could never be truly happy without ever having explored other options (we're high school sweethearts now in university, aka I've never dated).

We've talked about it, and after many tears from me and some angry words from him, we've decided on an open relationship, here meaning we are still a couple but we are free to see other people. This works great for me except that I know he hates it, and it makes me feel terrible because I want him to be happy.

So what I want to know is, can an open relationship work, and when do I stop feeling like such a b****?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, this relationship is pretty doomed. He wants you and you don't want him. Period. End of sentence. You want to see other guys because the prospect of seeing them is more intersting to you then staying with this guy. "Open relationship" is just code for he'll stay at home and be depressed, while you go out and eventually hook up with another guy. And the relationship will "close" once you've found someone you're into.

• Turns out that's exactly what happened. I knew that too, but I guess I just didn't want to admit it to myself.

• So you've got a new guy now? How's that going?