What if you don't remember your ex-manager's last name?

I'm applying for a few jobs, and of course they ask for references. However, I don't remember my ex-manager's last name or any of the other supervisors' last names. We would just call them by their first names...I left the job a little over a year ago, so it's not something fresh in my mind. Do I make up a fake last name?

I tried to move on without providing the manager's last name [ it's an app for Petsmart ], and it wouldn't let me continue.
Wow. So I found out he doesn't even work there anymore ! lol
I ened up calling the store and had to use another manager's name...whom I didn't really like...so we'll see how this goes >_> Thanks for your answers everyone !

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• i had this problem too. luckily my old boss's name was on the internet when I googled it :-pif they aren't online, can you call an old co worker? go back and look @ the schedule/call list? or you might just have to call them and ask them flat out :-/ find out though, don't make one up!

• I'm gonna ask a few ex-co workers first...and if that fails, then I'm gonna have to go into the store... :[ We didn't end on bad terms; it's just that I really want to avoid seeing them lol

• Good idea, I know what you mean lol

What Guys Said 5

• If that's actually you in the pic, don't waste your time working. Just marry a prince and spend your time shopping.

• lol No, that's not me, but marrying a prince wouldn't be so bad ;]

• Ring up that Harry guy in England.

• Can't you just go to your old job and ask for their names?

• I totally feel you. I wound up contacting the store where I worked before and they were able to tell me.

• What kind of establishment you worked for? Everywhere I worked, I don't remember first names, and I require that no one calls me by my first name (I am ex-military, and last names are what we used--Unless we are actually fruiends, or related, I do not respond to my first name...)You may as well just give them just the first name... At the interview, explain that you all were on a first name basis, and you company was more on an informal basis and allowed for first name only basis... Hope that helps...Selective disinformation...

• It was retail [ not sure if you're familiar with Marshalls or other TJX companies? ].

• Show Older
    • I said I'm not in college [ yet ]. I just turned 18 last month...

• I am aware of what you said.I was an assistant manager at an adult foster care (Patients with head injuries) when I was 19, I started there when I was 18... I was making $10.00 per hour. I never worked in retail, and don't know what the other side of a fast food counter looks like.No offense, but as I said, I don't like being on first name basis unless the person is a friend or family members. And I don't consider co-workers as friends.

• i had that happen too, who actually remembers last names of people they don't really socialize with anyway. I just put the first name and left it, if asked in an interview I'd say I don't recall the last name. they can call the business and find out usually by asking someone there if it matters that much too them.

• @ update: that's lame. the only thing I can think of is to find out the last name(s) and then fill out the app(s).

• Yea...it seems like that's the only option. :/ Thanks :]

What Girls Said 0