Boundaries for an ex-boyfriend? Hanging out, messaging, gifts, etc?

I'll start off with some background. I broke up with my ex about 7 months ago. It was a fairly mutual break, and we said the usual "let's still be... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• If you can remain friends with your exes without it getting complicated then I usually condone it. But in your situation, it would probably be better for everyone if you just cut ties with him. It looks as though he's not trying to move on anymore. He's just waiting to see what you do. I know he still means something to you as you guys have some good memories together, but for his sake, you should stop all communication for now. He obviously is still acting as if your dating because it's what he knows. After breaking up with his girlfriend, he probably felt lost and needed a place to put all of his effort and he went back to you, because you're familiar. He most likely doesn't see anything wrong with what he's doing because he's so used to it and thinks that he just being a nice guy and that you might somehow grow feelings for him again if he continues to act this way. It might sound hard, but it's something both of you need in my opinion. Let him down easy. He'll probably fight and argue and try to refuse to let you go, hopefully he'll man up and realize he's not your boyfriend and can't act this way anymore and let you go without a fight. You have a new great guy and don't need to babysit your ex too.