My girlfriend keeps gaining weight. I don't know how to help her

My girlfriend and I have a beautiful child together. We been through a lot of ups and downs on our relationship but at the end of the day always have each other. During and after her pregnancy she gain like 40 lbs all together. Lots of you probably will think that this is wrong but I don't find her as attractive as before. She always complain about her body but will never do anything about it and her bad nutrional habits I feel are getting worse and worse (sodas and fast food almost everyday). I know this is awful for your body and throw in there her cigarette smoking is a recipe for health problems at a very young age. I have try to take her to the gym with me or do some workout video but she don't take it seriously and never wants to push herself. I'm not in amazing shape or anything like that but I work out every now and then but I played soccer in a weekly basis a lot of times more than twice a week. Every time I bring the weight gain subject she tells me I'm a d*** and that I should love her no matter if she is fat or not( bs if you ask me). Is getting worse and worse and I'm getting annoyed I'm getting ready to get my summer body back on plus outdoor soccer is around the corner( hate winter pretty much hibernate but still eat good and take care of my figure lol). I'm ready to design my new workout plan and buy supplements to help me achieve my fitness goals (no peds by the way). How can I get my girlfriend to buy into this and change her habits?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 38

What Guys Said 4

• Selected as most helpful

I understand that this is a very delicate situation for you. Here are a few guidelines from a woman's perspective.

Never, EVER metion her weight! Like, NEVER! This is the golden rule.

There is only one exception to this rule, and that is that you are allowed to comment ONLY when she asks. Here is how to do it without getting your head ripped off!

If she says something like "I'm getting fat", "I feel crappy", "My jeans don't fit anymore", etc, here's how to proceed...

Woman: "Wow, these jeans never used to fit this snug. I'm getting fat!"

Man: "No, you're gorgeous, babe. But you know what, I've been feeling pretty crappy myself lately. (White lie here.) Why don't we start eating a little better? It would be so much easier with your help!"

See what MAN just did here? He convinced WOMAN to eat healthier without making her feel bad about her appearance, and made it sound like it was her idea. Here's another example.

Woman: "I hate this dress. It makes me look fat!"

Man: "You're not fat, honey. You're beautiful! Why, have you been feeling a little different lately?"

Woman: "Well, sort of. I can't get all of this weight off!"

Man: "Well frankly, I've been feeling a little crappy myself without soccer. Is there anything like that that you'd ever be interesting in taking? I hear bellydancing is pretty fun."

Basically, you want to suggest healthy choices in a non-judgemental way. Also, condition her to feel good after doing healthy things by "rewarding" her. When she comes home from her dance class, ask her to do a sexy striptease for you. When she cooks a healthy meal, tell her how awesome it tastes. And go for walks together (or do another healthy activity) and enjoy your bonding time. This will show her that healthy lifestyle choices can be FUN!

Good luck!

• A degree in psych opens your eyes to a lot of things! Just don't use your power for evil. :P

• jan jan has this broken down to a science.

she can read people like a book haha

• Beautiful answer :) You sound like an excellent communictor!

• She's being a d*** about it but she might just feel insecure, you should love someone her no matter what, but you can't be attracted to her no matter what. She is complaining and isn't trying, you are trying to be fit. It's unattractive. You need to tell her this, her lack of motivation is unattractive.

Be even more fit, more motivated, go for daily jogs, etc. Seriously, get into it. You're girlfriend will see you getting fitter and hotter, caring about yourself and she will feel the need to keep up if she sees people hitting on you, unless she's an idiot.

• I went through this after my baby :( It sucks... You actually sound like your describing me back then.. But here's the deal... Her body just went through a HUGE change which yes does cause a little depression and mood change.. She could have a touch of the baby blues like I did... But I did exactly as you explain she is... smoked (out side and washed my hands and brushed my teeth right after always so no judgement it was never anywhere near my kid) and Burger King and Pepsi were my best friend lol... My biggest down fall was that I seen that my boyfriend wasn't as attracted to me anymore. And I am in no way saying that is the case with you and her but it was with me I could see it really bad after awhile... didn't touch me much, didn't really look at me at all... I could walk buck naked out of the shower or get dressed up in lingerie but he wouldn't even look up to see me and when he did he was like "put some clothes on". It crushed me but I got over it about 5 months post baby and I pretty much said f*** this I want my body back.. So with that said I strongly suggest NOT forcing her! you risk the "I Thought you loved me no matter how I look" convo that NEVER ends well. Girls are very self conscious when it comes to their bodies.. Instead do stuff that makes her know you still love her and you LOVE HER BODY that is very important... trust me knowing that you aren't as attracted to her will only depress her and she will want junk food and sh*t more.. If she's going to lose weight she needs to be doing it for herself not for you... Ask her to go for walks, go for a bike ride, tell her that you want her to go to the gym with you because you wnt to spend time with her and want to work out with her DO NOT MAKE IT ABOUT HER LOSING WEIGHT... she doesn't need the pressure of trying to look good for you it will not motivate her.. Take her out to buy clothes.. she will realize that she doesn't fit into the clothes she use to and it will motivate her trust me... Buy and make healthy food for her... etc. Stress the fact that smoking is not good for her or the baby ESPECIALLY if she is breast feeding and the fast food and cola too... Since she just had a baby those pounds she's gaining right now will be a lot harder to lose then it would normally and its a lot easier for her to gain weight right now because her body is use to storing for 2 not one so its still in over drive... good luck to you hope that helps

• More than likely, she is having personal self esteem issues, which is normal after gaini g a lot of weight post pregnancy.

The thing is, if she was never really an active person before the kids, it's not like she would suddenly become active now. Some people have always been thin and have to learn a whole new way of living when we can no longer just stuff out faces.

This is definitely a sticky situation and I can understand her thought process that you should love her unconditionally, but if she's no longer the woman you fell in love with, then it doesn't apply does it? Life does take it toll on all of us, but we should be doing out best to put our best foot forward. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut though and need a tow truck to carefully and skillfully pull us out. Being told I no longer find you attractive only makes a bad situation worst. Dragging her along to work outs won't work either because its a mental thing. She's not feeling good about herself so it doesn't matter how much you try to motivate her. So you need a different approach.

I know it seems counter productive, but you need to make her feel sexy. The problem probably started even before the babies, while she was pregnant. Feeling like a blimp all those months and having a hard time getting rid of the baby weight can take its toll.

In my situation , my husband always made me feel desirable even when I was a blimp. I gained 30 pounds and he was still slapping my butt and trying to get in my pants. As soon as I could, I worked on trying to look my best for him.

Are you making her feel sexy or are you reminding her how unattractive she is? Kids are exhausting and drains energy. The only thing that would motivate her into action would be the desire to get back to her old self. You have to remind her of that part of herself by being that supportive husband that seemingly loves her unconditionally. Start smacking her butt, give a compliment, and take her out to do fun things. That last one is crucial. When she wants to get dolled up and can't fit anything that will be a great motivator.

So be supportive, not her personal trainer. Show her that she is still worthy of your love and she'll find her way back in time.

• have you tried getting her to do excersize(sorry sp?) not in the gym? like try to go on walks every day after dinnertime, it'll be nice and refreshing to get outside and it's something you and her, and the baby in the carriage, can do. Or go for bike rides, hiking. Also try to make her feel guilty for the cigarette smoking and the soda and fast food. because she KNOWS that those things aren't healthy, so try to make her feel bad for bringing those things into the life of your child. tell her you love HER and that you don't expect her to be perfect, I mean she did have a baby, but you do want her to simply be healthy!

• You have to take this very delicately. Obviously you love her either way because you're still with her, but if she thinks that it's okay to be overweight (which I don't think she does because she gets offended when you bring it up) you would have a problem.

What I would suggest you do is walk together with the baby as a family (at least it's better than sitting on the couch) everyday that way you're not focusing on the "we're doing this because you're fat" and maybe you should take control of the grocery shopping and cooking since she's not making the right food choices. Such as, make her a healthy steak dinner with a side salad (obviously for you too) That way it looks like a romantic gesture and you're helping her at the same time.

Women being overweight after a baby is a really touchy subject so do you're best to keep your cool.

• okay but...if you DONT love her regardless of her size, and you think its b.s., then why are you with her? that doesn't make sense. if its that big a deal for you, you could just leave. shell be hurt, but id rather be with someone who wasn't killing themselves to look at me, wouldn't you? some men genuinely don't care, others do. it doesn't make you a bad person, but maybe you two shouldn't be together. I don't think its psychologically healthy to be involved with someone who has negative view of your own body and you can pick up on that. its negative reinforcement for health - the incentive becomes not a matter of health, but an issue of negative body image because you feel less desired.

i don't think you should be trying to change anyone but yourself. maybe if she sees you doing it (and not just talking...) she may be more motivated. if not, there's nothing you can really do or should do. this should be a decision she makes for herself.

• sorry she's sloppy.. I feel like it's selfish to let yourself go in a relationship and expect your partner to see you the same way fat... I feel less attractive if I put on 5lbs granted I've never had a child but I would never want to smoke or eat fast food around a child, your setting a horrible example. Make a rule with her and tell you that these changes HAVE to happen for your child.. Tell her that you want him to have healthy habits as he grows up and that your going to sign up for a few 5k runs and maybe she can sign up to or at least support you on this.

• Sounds like she needs a whole lifestyle change.

• You could also try sexcercise.

• Throw out all the junk food, insist on doing all the grocery shopping, and only buy fruits, vegetables, and protein. Absolutely no carbs, as she will consume them immediately. No sodas either. If she complains, say that you are trying to be healthy and stay in shape, and if you have it in the house you will be too tempted. Unfortunately she seems to have zero motivation, so if you want her to change, you really have to work at it. For the fast food, I would research the food cravings chart and show it to her. It's actually really cool. As for ciggis, make a rule that it can't happen in the house, car, or near the baby (you can lay the guilt on heavily with this one, doesn't she give a rat's behind about your child's health? Second hand smoke is a major issue). Or you could just go to a beach with her, and make her realize how bad she looks compared to everyone else (subliminally,don't point to another girl and say "now if you looked like that, I'd be all over you"). Girls are crazy, and you need to tread carefully when critiquing absolutely anything about them.

• walking is great exercise, so is swimming. Fast food never helps anyone. Offer to get healthy together. Fast food will make you feel lowsy as fruit and healthy stuff wont.

• how much does she weigh? What is her height?

• I think she's being selfish and possibly lazy. If she has other things going on mentally or something, then I understand her side but otherwise, she's being selfish. No one is obligated to stay attracted to someone no matter what ... Just tell her how you truly feel, be sweet but honest...

• I am pregnant with twins so I kno what she is feeling its really hard... Just don't push her to do the "hard" stuff Imma health fanatic and I couldn't picture it... So take her out on walks or go to the mall go on bike rides, the fun stuff that will get her goin... Better yet find a babysitter and take her dancin

• I think you need to start small, no one can change over night, esspecially if you are feeling pressured to do so. I also think you should maybe cater your comments to be more positive. A women who has a baby feels really unattractive much of the time, her body went thorough a lot of trauma, she's feeling vulnerable, and the last thing she wants to think is that her partner finds her unattractive. I think if you make your comments more "I'm concerned about your health" and less "I'm not attracted to you" you might get better results. Plus, women who have just had a baby should not jump into super intense excercise, it's actually dangerous for her body, which is still healing from child birth. Here are some ideas that you could do. I know they aren't much, but (pun intended), it starts with baby steps:

-cooking a nutrious meal or taking a cooking class together

-going on a walk after dinner with the baby

-just you and her going to the park and playing soccer

-sex is a great calorie burner!

There are tons of things to do, just get creative!

• I guess it's due to the pregnancy blues, something like that. You can't blame no one in this case,it's normal,but you can start slow. Mothers are usually stressed out about nearly everything. One of them yeah their body.. so you should bring her out since you also work out right, bring the baby also take it as a family day at least once a week, don't let her just stay at home...sooner or later when she get use to it then everything will be fine. There's still this annoying hormones messing with her body and brain so yeah. Start slow..go out ,walk a bit because I guess she cannot run right...so just start with walking then cardio.

• Ok, having gone through this myself, at the same age, I think I can give you the "skinny" so to speak.

1. You can't badger her into losing weight, but you know that.

2. She "knows" she fat, you don't have to tell her. She's having trouble both physically & mentally with the baby thing. She probably doesn't know what to do. Everyone is telling something different, from: you look great don't worry about it, if you're nursing the wt. will fall off (it doesn't), & that YOU should get off her back.

3. Men can almost just say "I want to lose wt." & it falls off..after having a baby...it is a hell of a lot of work, it's never easy again. And seeing you lose faster & easier bums her out. Sad but true.

4. Here's the talk to have with her: tell her you are worried about her & "us, " as in you 2. Tell her that yes, you will always love her no matter what size she is, BUT...you may not, and probably will not always be attracted to her at any size. Say that with kindness. Tell her you are still attracted to her & you always want to be, but you are concerned about it because you don't think it is a concern of hers.

You need to explain to her how you have always felt about her sexually & physically. Tell her how you want that again & more. You must explain about how men are visual people & that you have always loved her sexy body & want to keep an active sex life. And how important that active, healthy body is going to be to your children.

Paint the BIG PICTURE HERE. Paint the life that you want for the 2 of you. People can talk about health & healthy hearts all they want, but family & love is where it's at. You have to let her know where you stand. I mean, if this is a deal breaker, you have to speak up. Don't blind side her in another 40 #s by saying "See Ya! Can't stand to be with ya!"

Hope that helps.

• It's really hard to get her to buy into this, especially if she doesn't seem motivated. She really has to want this in order for her to make a change.

It might be more effective though, to bring up the fact that she needs to be a good role model for your child. Children pick up habits from their parents, and she should be modelling good healthy habits.

Also, refuse to let sodas and junk into the house. Make that a rule in the house. I found that having crap around the house makes it easier to indulge. So instead, I only keep good foods around. Furthermore, to ensure that I always have something healthy to make, I keep some extra non-perishable food around the house, like canned beans, tuna, etc... That way there is no excuse to go out and get fast food.

Plan out meals ahead of time. Cook extra on the weekends and freeze for those nights that are going to be hectic. Keep cooked frozen chicken on hand, cook it on the weekend, slice it up, then put in a freezer bag to add to meals when you don't want to cook.

Keep veggies on hand, chop up on the weekend to prepare for the week.

It's going to be hard to get her to give into this. Maybe plan out a vacation or a trip to the beach in the summer? That might make her want to workout?

• Well, in this case, I'd really say that coming at this from the angle of being a concerned parent would be a lot better received than from an angle of how her current weight is unattractive to you. Remind her that you love her and your child, and that's why you're concerned.

For one, kids do tend to pick up their parents' habits and an unhealthy diet is likely to negatively impact a child's physical and mental development. For another, it would be fun to bond as a family over some work outs; it would reinforce health and fitness as part of your child's lifestyle, for life. Lastly, every child deserves healthy parents they can look up to. Bad diets and smoking can shorten lifespans; if not for herself, encourage her to change for your child.

Don't forget to compliment her when she does something good, be it just eating a salad for lunch or walking instead of driving!

• i think what you should do is tell her you do love her and that its because you love her that you are scared for her health and that you don't want to lose her early in life due to the health implications of her lifestyle

• Show More

Wtf! Dude she is right, do you love her, or the meat?

Chances are she is comfort eating (google it)

She could also be suffering from a degree of depression (common after child birth and eating more can be a symptom, see above)

Btw do you know you burn calories kissing?

Try kissing her to skinniness,

• The girls here are going to say you should love her unconditionally.

I would say to them, let's see your boyfriends smack you all around a bit and watch how long that "unconditional love" lasts.

Tell her if she doesn't start making a visible effort to regain her health you're breaking up with her.

Cold, but that's the only thing that's going to work, plain and simple.

• Perhaps not. But I can expect someone to cut out soda, fast food, and cigarettes.

• I think it is a little cold, but I understand your point as a man. Men cannot understand what it feels like to have your body go through a complete 180 in less than a year to have a child, and then have your partner, the father of your child, to say "you're so ugly now." It's really emotional and you can't expect change over night.

• I love how three people downrated me because "I'm mean" but they're unable to provide any counter argument.

• As an unlicensed doctor (not even close) , I would recommend lots of s*x and make her do most of the work. She'll burn a lot of calories that way.

• Rather than telling her to lose weight maybe you should tell her to stop eating junk food and soda, those stuffs are baaad. Tell her that you love her and want to be with her for a long time so you don't want to see her health deteriorate and all those bad habits are bound to bring health problems sooner or later.