10 Reasons To Date A Single Dad

10 Reasons To Date A Single Dad

When you're on the dating scene, there is no reason to not include single parents in your dating pool.

A man who has raised his kids on his own or mostly on his own is selfless, caring, and loving.

Of course, there are single dads out there who are not worth giving the time of day. But if you come across one who does not bad mouth his children's mother, is accountable for his financial obligations, is involved in his children's lives, and admits his part in his previous relationship not working out; he's a keeper!

1. He Won't Rush Into Things.

Single dads are busy, so when you're dating one you need to understand that his number one priority is his kids! Since he's busy being responsible for other lives, you'll know he won't be desperate bothering you.

2. He's Not Self-Centered

His kids are the center of his world and if you make the cut, you might be too. He's mature and understands that there's more too life than the freshest kicks and a shiny watch.

3. He's Responsible

He might not be able to go on a date when he has the kids for the weekend, but at least you know he's accountable! Plus, you'll have him all to yourself on the other weekends.

4. He Can Be Sensitive

Especially if he's had a daughter and had to participate in a tea party, he has the strength to be soft. He knows there is nothing wrong with a little love and affection. He'll be cool with holding hangs, hugs, kisses, and cuddling.

5. He's A Good Listener

He's listened and talked to his kids talk about the bully at school or their imaginary friends, so he'll be excited to talk to you about more mature topics.

6. He Is Considering You In His Kids' Lives

Single dads keep their guards up. If he keeps you around, there's no greater honor or reassurance that he sees a future with you than when he introduces you to his kids.

7. He Isn't Looking For A Hookup

Single dads don't have time to play or waste, they are in it for the long haul.

8. He's Patient

He's practiced his patience with his kids, so he should have a little left over for you.

9. He Has A Good Sense Of Humor

He'll be the perfect dose of playful and cheesy.

10. He's A Role Model

He knows he has young watchful eyes observing his every move, so he'll always strive to be on his best behavior and a good example.

All of the aforementioned reasons go for a single mom too! So don't discriminate in the dating pool. But also keep in mind not all single dads are dating material...

31

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• It's hard for women to date single dads. I believe it's harder for men to date single mothers. These relationships take a lot of compromise and patience. Some people can accept children who aren't theirs. Most can't. What galls me is when women say a real man can accept and care for another man's kid. I say a real man will say fuck no and walk the other way. Why drive a used car when there are plenty of new cars. If that's harsh, so be it. Most men feel this way.

• i really liked this, its refreshing to read something positive for single fathers its not easy, you ladies know first hand how some men can be, sure by this time in there lives they should be a lot better and i hope i can say confidently we are.

• submitted before i was done sorry.
      i was hearing a bit about coming second in a few responses and i wanted to clear up that misconception, its not a numbers game in the beginning chances are your not even going to meet the children, sure he'll tell you that he is a single father but until its actually serious and your not crazy lol , then he'll introduce you to his children and by then he's mentioned you to them depending on age. but even then he is not putting any responsibility's on you , nor expecting you to be the mother , its rather observing yours and the children's interactions with each other and its not so much as a check list its him seeing where he needs to be the bridge between you and his children to bring together the very strong love and connections of both party's, but its not over night some times it takes a little more effort the others but at that time you already know if its worth it or not, and for me as a single father and you as a women if we have stepped

• one is very important in his life and his children should treat you as such:) , now saying all this i really do understand some women do not have interest in entering into a single fathers life and that is totally of and understandable. There is great moments and incredible memories to have building your own family.
      a single parent really didn't want to be a single parent its always a desire to be a wonderful strong healthy family, not a broken one.
      and no not every single parent are like whats describe above, but we do exist. i kinda just wanted to say that no women should ever feel like a second place, or less then in these scenarios, your a potential future so letting you know your have great value is not something we are going to take for granted or squander, like the post said originally, we are not here to waist your time. :)

• peace out lol

• If they were that HAWT, finacially stable and were all that a woman would ever wish for, why was he single in the first place? Sumthing isn't right here '-'

• His wife could be a druggie psycho and so he keeps her away from both of them. Single people aren't failures.

• @peachblossomluck more like men are 10x more to be a drug psycho >.>
      Its as usual, guys with the look abused their power to get laid and all that. They ain't limiting themself to only one chix. Simple 👌🏼
      If ur not smart enough to know that for ages, men been wanting all cuties doe themself. If u didn't understand this simple logic, than goos luck with the single dads lel

• Sum rich bastards are filled with greeds anywayz so there are high chance that they are consume by greed. They also have the reputation to look down on people lower than them and kinda full of themself. I heard that gurls l heard that gurls dont like jerks and these kinda right? '-'

• I like this take purely to give some counter-weight to all the single mom positivity stuff going on.

That said, I do think many of your points are debatable. It paints a picture that is a bit too ideal. But that's fine as lists often generalize.

• He could also be the totally opposite.

What Girls Said 31

• i respect single dads but personally i wouldn't date one because there would be great possibilities that his kids won't like me , the mom of the kids might come around often , and i don't wanna be like the "third wheel" so nope

• I would only hope that the kids didn't dislike me.

• You have great points, but it takes a very different woman to take on the role as the second mother and as being second in a man's life, not something we had a fairytale vision of when we were kids. "Yay, I can't wait to always come last in someone's life!"

Unfortunately, the single dads you mention are so rare to find. Same with the single moms. We are in such a selfish society now where no one can admit responsibility or fault, and a sense of entitlement takes over everything. This goes for the children too, growing up feeling owed.

Years ago, when I tried a dating site, I noticed a man presenting his profile with his teenaged daughter sitting on his lap in a bathing suit. It just seemed weird, and her arms wrapped around him protectively told me that NOTHING, and NO WOMAN was going to be between this creepy bond. Men who are single dads may put their children first, but as parents learning how to fib a bit to calm bad situations with kids should not wag their finger in their woman's face telling them their kids come first.

Every woman wants to feel special and have the primary relationship with her man. To have a constant reminder that we will always be Number Two (the same as being a piece of shit) should just be eliminated from conversation altogether if he expects a woman to give up her dreams of being someone's Number One.

I believe a lot of times when dating a single dad really works is when the woman taking him on is also a single mom. This way they both truly understand each other's situations.

• I agree with you. I doubt a woman will like to be relegated to number 2 because the number one is the guys kids. I believe a single dad will be best dating a single woman beause they both understand perfectly. I mean it is understandable kids are the guys priority but we are his lady we also need to be a priority in his life beacuse we want our times to and feel special. For a single woman to date a single man it can be hard, because we have to know that his kids come first and we come second. I dont want to be last in a single dad relationship. Maybe a friend of mine in his 40s were right he is single, unmarried no kids. and he told me that he prefer to be that way, independent and just date, he does not have patient or time to take care of a kid because he still doing what he likes to do in life. And being single with kids will change all his dreams that are taking place right now.

• My reason not to date them is that I don't like kids.

• All great points!
    BUT - looking for a hookup - I don't think we can exclude that for many people...

• nice take reminded me of my brother

• Top reason to not date a single dad: he has a kid.

• Are you writing this because you got left out in the cold? :P Most kids are demanding and selfish. I don't think single dads have time for dating so lest it be a half end effort.. I wouldn't bother.

• Has anyone ever considered that the relationship may not work out? Say you become attached to the child and now they are no longer in your life. It's a heartbreak.

• These are some really good points. I don't doubt that a lot of single dads have these. I did try to date a guy with kids, but it just didn't work out. I'm not saying no to the future if I'm single and dating, but right now is not a good time for me.

• single dads are just hot, no idea why. Maybe these reasons ^

• How about no?
    I rather not have kids in my life that are not mine

• My opinion is not every single dad is the same way. It's actually very hard to enter a relationship with a single dad as he will have baggage and that causes conflicts! Jealousy might happen with the ex contacting him and you will never feel good enough!

• I have a feeling that if I date a single dad, his kids won't like me.

• I dated a single dad once and have no desire to do so again. The kid had an awful personality for one, threw things at me, screamed at me, and just overall hated anyone who took some of his dad's attention away from him. He ended up dumping me because the kid didn't like me even though I didn't do anything. I don't ever want to have kids either, so I suppose it's pointless for me to try with a man that already has one.

• A single dad is usually mature. He has to be. Remember... it is okay to date a SINGLE dad... not a Married dad.

• I'd love to date a single dad but one thing screams out to me... Baby mama drama

• Very sweet take, and good timing with Father's Day right around the corner!

• this sounds great but as someone whos young i want a guy who doesn't have that kinda background (divorced and kids). i want someone who is at my level so we can go through it together.

• Not every single dad is like this.

• More from Girls
    11