10 First Date Mistakes You Should Avoid

10 First Date Mistake You Should Avoid

Similar to first impressions, first dates can make or break you. Below are a list of mistakes you should aim to avoid on your first date.

1. Checking Out Other Women

Under no circumstance should your wandering eyes be in full effect on a first date. Your date will pay close attention to see if you check out the girl falling out of her top sporting a short skirt, so resist temptation!

2. Using Pet Names/ Terms Of Endearment Too Early

Don't scare your date off by calling her babe, bae, boo, ma, pooh bear too soon. If you barely know the girl, the special pet name will be meaningless.

3. Glued To Your Phone

These days, smartphones keep you connected, but in this case you'll be disconnected from your date. Being on your phone while on a date is impolite and rude.

4. Talking About Your Ex

Do you want to hear how much her ex was stacking or packing? No, you probably don't so don't bring up your ex either.

5. Obscene Jokes

Avoid crude jokes on the first date. Not only will you come off as an immature douchebag, but you don't know her well enough to know her sense of humor.

6. Be A Gentlemen

There's nothing wrong with opening her door or not scarfing down your food in front of her. Just try not to be a slob or constantly interrupt her.

7. Being A Know-It-All

Nobody wants to be constantly corrected. There is a difference between confidence and intelligence and a conceited jerk.

8. Drinking Too Much

On a first date there is a two drink maximum. Sure a few drinks can loosen you up and there's nothing wrong with liquid courage, but you don't want to be sloppy drunk.

9. It Is NOT An Interrogation

You don't want to be asked 21 questions and neither does she, but you also don't want to be talking about yourself too much. Don't ask more than three questions in a row and ask her a question after she asks you two questions.

10. Keep It Simple

Don't pile on the cologne and don't wear your Sunday's best to the movies. You don't want it to be obvious that you're trying too hard.

On your next first date don't forget to try to not make any the mistakes from the list. Have you ever done something on a first date you regret? Did I forget a first date mistake?

18

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• I've always loved a gentleman.

Heart Tom Hiddleston:
    ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/.../...-20367-1369461005-11.jpg

• nice tips. when in doubt, take the conservative route.

• I agree with the pet names.
    This older guy tried messaging me and he kept referring to me as "Sweetie", it felt like he was acknowledging the age gap and it was pretty darn creepy.

• He can call me gorgeous though. :)

• I like the take, its a good way to keep the date simple and open for comfort. And most if not all can apply to women when you switch the genders.

• My worst first date was when the guy couldn't stop talking about himself for quite a while. I wasn't even listening anymore, I totally zoned out. I tried to give him subtle hints by checking my phone once in a while, then quick glances at the sides, then longer glances at other people's tables, then it escalated to me not looking at him at all. He still kept on yapping about his life story the whole time. Didn't get any of me subtle to not so subtle hints.

• i have a huge issue with people using there phones on a date

• Great take!!! As far as the pet names, they can make a person seem obnoxious if done on a first. It's definitely a turn-off. Once the two of you know each other better, pet names can be nice. I will disagree a bit with some of the ones considered unacceptable and a lot with some of the ones considered acceptable. I'm sure my face resembled a "wtf" face while reading them. Lol.

What Guys Said 18

• Lol so common sense lol which sadly is not that common these days lol.

• Good list.

• I disagree to number 5. If crude humor is your thing then why hide it? If a girl is uncomfortable with your type of humor then it's not meant to be. Don't suppress yourself just to make a girl feel merely "okay" with you.

• Depends if you think she is worth making a sacrifice for and ending your crude sense of humor as long as she is willing to give you three strikes.

• @JaysunFet That's bullshit. You should NEVER put anyone on a pedestal. Instead you should see the girl as a "bonus," not a "must-have" in your life. Don't fake your personality just to be with a girl. No matter how much you like her, you should never sacrifice a bit of your soul to be with her.

• That's not putting her on a pedestal. That's only one thing you will find that would otherwise make a perfect soulmate. It doesn't sound to bad when you have discovered that is the only thing in the way and the rest is smooth sailing. You would drop that soul sucking feeling wouldn't you?

• Not even a date and my female friends feel insulted if I chexk out other woman.

• So...

Use common sense?

• pretty much.
      but come on, common sense has a tendency to shut down when you get a shot at a girl you like. That's why we need guides like this, to have the common sense put into simple advices we can fall back on in case common-sense. exe decides to crash to desktop XD

• That's when you cntrl alt delete, open task manager, start command prompt and run "covermyass. exe."

Results may vary

• Why always men have to open door and give special treatment because if they don't do it then what is the need to do it from my side.

• Be A Gentlemen isn't that GOOD girls? I always open to girls doors, because I think that's right.

• I think the names list is still a bit wak to say on a first date. I think calling a girl by her name would be more acceptable, at least until you have some sort of relationship.
    "Dearest, Snowflake, Blossom, Princess, angel, treasure and flower"
    All things My Nanna would call my sister. If a guy was saying these things I think it would be creepy, thats what you say to toddlers lol.
    Otherwise, I think people should be themselves when they are on a first date. Acting is not a good way to get to know someone.

• Why should we open doors for women? Can't they open it themselves? Why don't they open doors for us?

• Or maybe you should open doors for everyone? Not just women?

• Its just a sign of our affection for you. Of course we'll open doors for others, but for people we really care for and admire, we make sure we show them extra appreciation of their company by doing things like opening doors for them or other polite things.

• She will open doors for you if you ask. However since conducting ways lead that to make her feel stupid in front of others and your servant sometimes. However if you are not going to accommodate her by opening doors and getting things for her she is not going to dress in such cloths that make her a certain irresistible so she can be at an ease opening doors for you, driving and walking you to your doorstep.

• I accidentally checked out some girls on my first date. Didn't mean to but dat ass was calling my name.

• For number 4, there's mentioning an ex and then complaining about an ex. It's one thing if a girl says yeah this guy I dated used to _____ but with a neutral tone and then there's saying my ex is such a piece of shit, I hate him/her and I never wanna see him/her again.

One time a girl asked me to make fun of her ex for his babydick in case we ran into him after complaining and hinting that she was gonna use me to make him jealous and now she's back with him. When they complain about an ex, that's a red flag. Another thing I learned to quit doing is mentioning that because it might come off to my date like I have baggage even though it is a crazy story.

As far as number 9 goes, it can be unavoidable if your date is either quiet and not adding anything to the conversation which puts pressure on me. I don't make the date an interview, it just ends up that way which I hate.

• Solid take, funny how it makes everything about her, though :D

• This list is in HIS point of view, but it can go both ways. Women do some of the same things men do.

• The girl on the right looks so hot when she's pissed. haha Reminds me of something that happened to me. Other girls see you make a move on a girl and they swoop in not cause they even like you, but just to piss the other girl off. Live and learn.

• Nice take, I did the #1 a few times. Also I know it's not an interrogation, but what do you suggest to keep the conversation interesting?

• Great take, very helpful

• 11. Don't call her by your ex's name. I did that, thankfully she didn't mind.

• These are all good advice and I think number one is probably the most important.

• "Princess" is on the list of acceptable pet names? I doubt that. Princess is something you call a girl to insult them...