8 Things To Know When Dating A Girl Close To Her Mom

There's a lot to expect when dating a girl who's BFFs with her mom. You won't just be dating her, but her mom too! Check out the list below:

1. She Talks To Her Mom Everyday

Whether its a quick text, coffee, or a 60 minute phone call, she will touch base with her mom everyday.

2. She Tells Her Mom Everything

Her mom won't know every single position you two did last night, but she'll know where you guys went to dinner and if you leave the seat up.

3. You'll Hear The Dial Tone, If Her Mom Calls

If her mom calls on the other line while she's on the phone with you, she'll have to call you back or put you on hold.

4. If She's Sick, Her Mom Is Around The Corner

Even if her mom lives far away, if your girlfriend is seriously ill, she will be there to take care of her.

5. Your Relationship With Your Mom Is Crucial

She won't expect you to be BFF's with your mom, but she will want you to have a good relationship with your mom.

6. She Wants Kids

She wants the same relationship that she has with her mom with her own daughter.

7. You'll Be Spending A Lot of Time With Her Mom

If she lives far, you'll be visiting or she'll be over all the time.

8. Your Mom Will Love Her

She will treat your mom like her very own; your mom might end up liking her more than you!

Do you think it is a pro or a con to date a girl close to her mom?

18

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• If the girls wants children so that she can re-plicate the relationship that she has with her mother, she is probably not going to be a good parent. A good parent sets limits and imposes discipline, when necessary, and someone who wants to be a kid's best friend probably won't do that.

The other issue for me is where I will fit in with her priorities. If we have three kids, I don't want to be number 5 on her list of priorities, solidly behind her mom and the little ones. Of course kids require a great amount of time and attention, especially when they are younger, but husbands resent ALWAYS standing in line waiting for their turn with the woman to whom they have devoted their life.

• and that "being number five" that you describe is a legit point.
      A lack of time for eachother (oftentimes due to the kids) is an increasingly comon reason for breakups and marriages going sour.
      You NEED time for your partner. Period.
      Love isn't something that magically last, it needs to be maintained at all times.

• @dartmaul15 Amen, brother. I am now divorced because my ex-wife did not understand that point, and her children are 24, 24, and 29 years old!

• well damn.
      better leave that XD

When you marry, it's to be eachother's number ONE priority. Always!

• Con.

I've had moms love me and hate me and honestly I would give up the security that having a mom who loves me because it's hard enough finding a great match in one girl then you have to match with another woman as well?

• I don't think you could have done a much better job of convincing men not to date women that are close to their moms. I am not even joking. You could have titled this take red flags to watch out for.

The woman you describe sounds like this.
    1. She Talks To Her Mom Everyday
    Too dependent on her mom, and therefore her mom will be an obstacle in the relationship, by the amount of power she holds over her daughter. Not only will the guy have to compromise with the daughter, but now he will have to get the mothers approval as well, on issues that aren't even the mothers business.
    2. She Tells Her Mom Everything
    Has no respect for the man's privacy.
    Incredibly rude.
    If she hasn't been invited and comes barging it, then that is really bossy and controlling. No guy wants to deal with that type of personality.
    This tells us we are going to be judged harshly for issues that she may not know anything about, and may not be able to understand.
    6. She Wants Kids
    Having kids may not be bad, but if she wants the same relationship, then that is a huge issue. It means she is more concerned with being the best friend, instead of being the bad guy that a parent sometimes must be.
    This is a nightmare come true. Even if we like our mother in laws being around them all the time is very stressful as they don't have the same unconditional love for us, and any confrontation with them can lead to problems in our relationship.
    8. Your Mom Will Love Her
    What guy on the planet would want his own mother to love his wife more than him? That sounds like a very painful thing to go through.

I really think that any guy that has read your take and seen all the girls commenting about how right you are, will from now on avoid women that are close to their mothers. You make them sound terrible. There is not a single upside to dating such a woman anywhere in your take.

• This take has taught me to avoid dating women close to their moms.

Especially #7, the hell I'll be visiting her mom a bunch.

• I agree :-)

• "You won't just be dating her, but her mom too!" Well then I hope her mom is hot and sexy, too. Fun dates! lol

• You will be the second important person in her life. It's a no go.

• My sister and my mom are that way. they share clothes all the time and go out once a week. My sister is 17 too, never really went through a snotty teen girl phase. I could see her being that way.

• I've typically found girls who have more of a friendship with their mother than an actual mother-daughter relationship tend to be poor parents.

Nothing wrong with being friends with your child, but that has to come AFTER you've been a good, dedicated parent.

• "You won't just be dating her, but her mom too!"
    ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/.../...z-13822-1365558988-5.gif

• Dated a girl once who was really close to her mom. They did NOT talk every day, She WOULD get into great detail about our sex life, her mother would not come flying down from new york when she got sick, she absolutely, emphatically, did NOT want kids, and my mother didn't like her very much at all.

• Well, most of that isn't so bad. I was expecting "'You must do XXXXX or she'll dump you." In which case I would have said, "Yea, fuck that shit" and avoided these women like the plague. Pleasantly surprised.

• I'm definitely going to avoid these women.

• From being married to two women that were close like that to their moms, I have to say Con 100%.

That kind of relationship is a deal breaker for me, had enough of having a third party involved in every aspect of a relationship.

Their is nothing wrong with being close to your parents, but some times that apron strings are to tight.

• I will send my mom to take care of her mom

• So in other words, avoid these women.

• TL;DR
    She will talk with and spend time with her mom.

• As a man who dated a woman who was unhealthily close to her mom, you left out a few things:

1. She cannot make her own decisions, she has to run everything by her mom, and then WHATEVER mom says goes. Even if it is not her opinion, she will eventually capitulate to her mom, and only her mom.

2. She might NOT want kids, as she could be rather immature and think of herself as the "baby" and not want any "competition."

3. Seeing as she as no will of her own you are essentially dating HER MOM. If I wanted to do that I'd dump her and date her mom...

• this sounds like a horrible experience! im sorry haha. i'm very close to my mom but its not like that at all. this girl may have been like that but not all of us are like that. im sorry you had a bad experience :/

• Well thanks, I hope not. Also, that even you tell your mom stuff about your sex life is kind of gross and a dealbreaker... You can be close, but the sex sharing is just weird.

• sharing things about sex is an absolute nono. she's my mom!! what the hell? sex needs to stay between two people.

What Girls Said 5

• omg you just describe me and my mother!! I just love her to death <3

I absolutely love this myTake <3

• You're really like this. I didn't mean loving your mother. No I mean like that with her even if you have a boyfriend. Lol

• I'm close to my mom but not on a creepy level. I share things with her too but not EVERY single detail. There's boundaries when it comes to parents too. My mom is like a best friend, but she's still my mom and I respect her in such a way. It's weird to have a girlfriend over a mother.

• Look at all the weirdos who don't want a woman to be close to her mom so they can manipulate isolate their gf/wife.

Me and my mom fight like cats and dogs. I'm the car of course.

• I don't agree with #6. I am very close with my mother. I have no desire to have children.

• this is so true! i love my mom. i'm an only child so i've had the chance to become her best friend. we are each others bffs. we're total opposites but we have a great relationship.