10 Great (Different-ish) First Date Ideas

If this has been done before, I apologize! But then again, if a myTake on first dates has been done, at least these are my ideas on what you can do to keep busy, get to know each other, and not feel so awkward.

Sure they can be nice, but I can’t stand first date clichés such as walking on the beach (what if you have no beach?), going for coffee, or going for dinner and/or a movie. When searching for photos of first dates, I saw the same thing -- dining out.

I want to know that a guy can be creative. I want him to know I can think of better things to do too. Being different and choosing to do something else says a lot about you, and you don't have to be stuck with the ho-hum activities that all couples are doing on their first dates. With some of these alternatives, you can spend a few hours together in a more comfortable way, and find out more about whether or not you want to make plans for a second date!

Auntie Ozanne's 10 First Date Ideas

1. Go to a bookstore. Browsing books first of all shows whether or not the person you’re on a date with even reads. Next, what are they reading? If they have a love for certain genres or authors, it gives you something to talk about and see where their interest lies.

2. Go antiquing. After browsing the bookstore, grab a coffee to take out, and find an antique store. Look for old things to ask about and see if the other person knows anything about it, or if someone in their family had something in their house like it. Finding an old cigar box and hearing about how “dad had a bunch of these things” might get the person talking about their families and some memories they have.

3. Get some ice-cream. I love the discussion about whether or not to use a cone or cup, and what flavours are important. The same could be said about pizza and which crust or toppings are a must for each of you. After all, if you both learn you have this in common, future ice-cream and pizza ordering will be easy. If not, you can joke that opposites attract.

4. Look through photo albums. I love the scene in the classic Fast Times At Ridgemont High when Stacy pulls out her old photo album and she and Rat just talk about her life as a kid. (This eventually leads to their first kiss, but if it doesn’t for you, at least you can talk about things that make you comfortable and willing to share in pictures, and if you’re on the receiving end, you learn more about how the person grew up.) Their German restaurant date was excruciating, but you can see how much more comfortable they were when they went to her house going through her photos afterward.

5. Go wine tasting. If you’re of age where it can be done, learn together what wines are best with which foods and discover together which wines you like together. Wine is an interesting hobby and learning how to wine-taste is interesting in and of itself. Once you establish your favourite bottle of vino together, buy a bottle and enjoy it together later on.

6. Cook together. If you both cook, you’ll understand and appreciate how intimate and enjoyable creating and sharing food is. Shopping for it, preparing it, and indulging together can take the focus away from awkward, personal small talk and put the attention on the food. So what if you both can’t cook or aren’t great at it? This gives you an opportunity to try something new and find out what flavours and foods each of you like, and what a great memory of a first date than to later on in your relationship, recreate the dish you made on the night you first spent together!

7. Take a drive. It sounds so simple, but fill up the car with gas and just go someplace. Take a look at a map of where you live and find a place you both have never been to, being tourists in your own town. If there is a lookout nearby, take a drive to experience it together. Driving also means talking without having to exactly use eye-contact. So for those who are a bit shy, but want to remain close, the actual time on the road can get you talking without feeling so shy feeling the need to sit and look at each other. (The passenger has this advantage!)

8. Play a board-game. You really get to know someone fast if you break out Monopoly or Scrabble! It diverts attention away from the fluffy first date jitters that people feel uncomfortable with because you’re just passing time playing a board-game. Monopoly is so great because you can playfully see how the person reacts to things. Even backgammon, chess, or card games are great to see if they person plays offence or defence, and if they are in it for the fun or if they are competitive. Might be a hidden indicator of their personality!

9. Go to an astronomical observatory. Or set up your own private observatory in an open field or backyard. Naturally a late-night date! You’re both learning something together and discovering interesting things about the world beyond our planet. Finding and pointing out to your date that you see something gets you talking about science and discovery. Maybe after you leave, it gets you talking about colonization projects on the moon and Mars and what you think of that. Astronomy is beautiful, and if light pollution in the sky from the moon makes your date look sexy, you have a chance to tell them so.

10. Visit a psychic. Now, I’m no believer in psychics, but I think it is a cute idea for entertainment purposes only, to get you talking about each other afterward. What kind of psychic isn’t going to see you both together and tell you that you should end your date immediately and never see each other again? Whatever a psychic says about you individually, afterward you can tell each other how much of it is true. This is the part that has you talking! “She was right, I really am sensitive and I’m really close to my mom.” “Well she was wrong about me, I don’t have a stressful job.” Together you can compare notes on what a psychic might have said to get you both talking about the reality of what you’re like.

First Date Ideas (Usually) to Avoid

• Condom shopping, dildo shopping
  • Thrill-seeking, i.e. skydiving, bungee jumping
  • Meeting each other's parents
  • If one of you is a single parent, bringing the child and going where the child chooses to go
  • Bear-watching, shark-tanks, or anything that could cause one or both of you to shit your pants
  • Extreme physical events like Tough Mudder
  • Taking them to your job site
  • Going somewhere to get drunk

Ozanne is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• 1|0
    • What a cute blingee! :- )

• (Greek mythology) The first woman on earth, who had been given a box by the gods and instructed not to open it, but who disobeyed the instructions out of curiosity, releasing all manner of evils into the world.
      @Pingju_
      I use it as to call my mysterious treasure box :)

• Haha, nice term :-)

• Goood 👍🏾👍🏾

• My favorites are:
    Cowgirl
    Missionary
    the pretzel

• Haha I just watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the first time last night. Great movie. That photo album suggestion though... I mean, who even has one anymore?

• Didn't you just love the ending? LOL! "Alright Hamilton!"
      I guess younger people might not have albums. Those of us who still used rolls of film, maybe even as late as the mid 00's will still have had albums though.

• @BaileyisDarcy
      I also hate handing over my phone to someone. I don't want to go through pictures and have them handle my phone and have the control to go swiping through and looking at things I don't want them to. Having an album is a tangible object that you can sit and look at and not have to worry about your device.

• Well I think Instagram (or a Facebook album) would be the replacement for a physical photo album.
      But I just don't take many pictures anyway.

• Except for 10, good suggestions.

• I do not know anyone who would go to a book store for a first date. Where I live the only book store I know that is still around is Barnes and Noble because a lot of people get their books electronically.

• In regards to #5, that is, simply stated, the best option a man can offer the majority of women in many circumstances. I bring this up because I grew up in the wine capital of the world and my parents still own one of the larger wineries out there so, point being, if anyone has any questions about wine, best bottles, where to stay in Napa/Yountville/St. Helena, etc, etc, feel free to ask.

• Oh you are so lucky, I would have loved that, growing up :)

• How about racing on a high way with her?

• I kind of believe in having a first "unofficial" date, and then a first date.

The first "unofficial" date I think should be simple (I like your ice cream idea, Ozanne). The first official date I think should be more interesting. But I could be wrong...

My first official date with my wife had disaster written all over it. I took her sailing and she got seasick. She was VERY sick and dizzy for hours. I wound up taking her home and taking care of her (making soup, watching a movie together, making sure she was comfortable). What I thought was going to be an "I'll never hear from her again" disaster actually turned into something rather endearing. We also visited the Griffith Observatory (of Rebel without a Cause fame). I have to say that any woman who can't appreciate science and the natural world (no, you don't have to love it or even know much about it, but appreciate for sure) won't hear from me again.

My first unofficial date since my wife's passing was to a nice bistro, and then we drove along the coast with the top down. Our first official date was to the Getty Museum (I think you might want to add art museums to your list, Ozanne). I have to say there is something so magical, so spectacular, about kissing on the balcony overlooking the city while watching the sun set and the moon rise. :)

• P. S. Love your Fast Times at Ridgemont High reference.

• Go to a beach at night, on the first date, and kiss under the stars.

• I think you should write for a magazine or something lol! all your MyTakes are well written compared to some stuff i read on GaG

too bad most girls my age wouldn't like some of these things or think i am lame
    older girls seem more fun to date in my opinion

can't wait until i am like 25 so older ladies take me more serious

• I love Fast Times at Ridgemont High! I still wonder if Mark and Stacy have even had sex yet...
    Cooking together would be a bad one for me. I'm always really stressed out when I cook.

What Girls Said 10

• Great take 😊
    There's a cafe I know (and my fave place to hang out!) that is also a bookstore! It's so awesome. I can order a cup of cappuccino and read a book. I can be there for forever!

And I tried chocolate and cheese tasting with my boyfriend on the second date, it was so fun and it turns out we both are a fan of mozzarella and parmesan cheese 😍

• I went to a street fair with a very nice woman I dated. She confessed she didn't like cheese. I jokingly said, "Well, it's a damn good thing you've got those beautiful eyes or I would never see you again!"

• I love this take! Great ideas, can't wait to try them!

• Great myTake! I've done 3, 6, 7, & 8. They turned out to be great dates! Though #7 was a mess, I was supposed to be the one cooking, but he did almost all the work, even the dishes ahha :)

• I did the bookstore date with a couple of men and found out really quick that one just hated reading and didn't want to know anything about my love for reading. I'm a writer, and to know that something I spend a lot of time doing for pleasure and income was going to be lost on him. So that didn't progress. The other one intrigued me as he pointed out what he did like to read. I knew I'd be in good company.

• @Ozanne I thought you might be a writer by the sheer number of myTakes that you write, but also by the way you write, your vocabulary and everything. It's always nice reading you.

• my favourites are

aquarium
    planetarium
    drive + picnic
    seaside bistro

• How about a nice stroll and picnic at central park or at maui beach?

• Mmmmm I love the icecream idea. Icecream and chocolate is the way to my heart.

• I wish I had someone to try this with :(

• ... who the hell goes dildo shopping on their first date

• I've recently been to a few Bookstore Cafes. Every wall in the cafe being bookshelves, so awesome! They are adorable and I've thought that would be a cute date idea.

Good take, I like it ☺️

• Book store yes: there is a fun date idea for that. I can't recall all the details.
    Ice cream yes! Especially in Italy, I want to try gelato in the little square at midnight.

Photo album, yes. Lots of stories to share.

I would do chocolate tasting.

Board games are great, I like Ludo, but never tried monopoly