Why I don't date single mothers

Why I don't date single mothers

I haven't received enough flak this week, so I think I'll dabble into some taboo territory. You can find articles all over the internet on virtually every dating website on "Why you should date single mothers" or "Why single mothers are awesome" or "Why single mothers will rock your world", but I call bullshit on every single one of them. Why? I thought you'd never ask.

Let's start with priorities. Whenever I enter a relationship, I make my lover or significant other the top priority in my life. This is a person I'm considering sharing the rest of my life with, my family with, and possibly starting a new family with. I have to act like they're going to be part of the family. Well, virtually every single mom writes this on her dating profile: "My kinds will always be the top priority in my life and that will never change." Well, right off the bat, I'm getting a raw deal. So do I get to make her not my top priority in my life as well? So that's totally cool if I make her lower on the list than tennis, or golf, or football, or video games? My dog? My cats?

Now don't get me wrong, I understand the dilemma single mothers have to face. They have kids to feed, take care of, and raise. That takes time, lots of it. Add a job on top of that and there aren't enough hours in the day. The problem is, men who date single mothers get absolutely no credit for the turmoils they go through. I'm already rearranging my entire schedule to fit yours so that we can spend time together. Your free time is extremely limited, so I've rejumbled all of my arrangements and other engagements so that your free time and mine coincide.

That is one humongous pain and requires a fair amount of sacrifice. What acknowledgment do I get for that? "DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BE A SINGLE MOTHER DATE?! SINGLE MOMS ARE SO STRONG YOU SHOULD APPRECIATE HOW STRONG A WOMAN YOU'RE GETTING!" Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. It's not like a man who does all of this for a single mom is strong or anything. Fuck that guy. He clearly doesn't know how lucky he is.

So already I'm a creditless, low priority, chump who sees his girlfriend just enough to still count as being in a relationship. What's next?

Well, dating single mothers isn't cheap. They don't have a ton of cash to spend, so the guy usually ends up paying for everything. So much for the modern day, where men and women split the check. And again, zero credit. Chivalry isn't dead, but it's definitely on its last breath because chivalry used to at least come with the satisifcation of recognition. Now it's just something that's either expected or ridicouled, neither of which come with any respect. "SINGLE MOMS WORK SO HARD FOR THEIR MONEY YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Right, I didn't work at all for my money. It just fell out of the sky onto my straight, male lap. Surely more would have fallen if I was also white.

Let's talk baby daddy drama. Every single mother has a baby daddy out there somewhere unless he up and died somewhere along the way. Even if he left out of the blue without a letter, there's ALWAYS a chance baby daddy will come back, and he most likely will not welcome your presence. I'm sorry, it's not my fault that it didn't work out between you two and you went your separate ways, but I still have to deal with the mess. That's taking time away from our already precious little time together, or making part of said time together way less enjoyable that it ought to be. That's just not how any person, man or woman, wants a relationship to be.

Lastly, many single mothers have no interest in having more kids. Understandable, they've already got their hands full with the kids already present, but this presents a problem for me. I want my own kids. MY kids. I want to start a family. If a woman can't or won't provide that, then I'll jump ship every time, constant as gravity. I have the right to have children and a family of my own just as much as she does. And I won't leave my baby mama single with a kid in tow.

Add that all up, and you've got a recipe for unhappiness. Sure, sometimes it works out and sometimes it's great, but let's calculate the odds on that one. I'm not a gambler, and I want my relationships to have every possible chance of success, and single mothers just don't seem to be a safe bet. The margins for error are just too slim. The odds of success too low, and the risk associated with the undertaking too high. Doesn't seem like smart math to me.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 30

• All I see is negativity and bitterness in this take. Do you have personal experience with one or more single mothers or is all of this just what you THINK will happen? A person is a person with faults regardless of their status as a parent. If the fault isn't with them being a parent, it will be something else. You have people of every side of a spectrum as parents or not. No two people are alike. I will tell you that saying your kids are a main priority is a sort of shield. Do you realize how many people out there will treat one's child (ren) like dirt? A parent's job is to protect their child (ren) and that includes protecting them from people. Personally, I wouldn't date someone like you, whether I was a single parent or not. I prefer more open-minded men who view things from more points than just their own.

• The take seems pretty accurate... think about it. Your dating a single parent with kids, most of their time and energy is going towards those kids and then the possibility of the other deadbeat parent coming along and ruining things, it just isn't for some people. You gotta really be up for that shit before getting into it cuz its a hell of a lot more work than a regular relationship

• Oh well, your loss.

• Single mothers aren't all alike.

You have to understand that beyond creating this child, a single mother has more memories with her child. So, of course she is going to love her child more than you. You will love your dog more than her when you first start talking.

Not all single mothers have little money. Some make more than you. If you want to go sky diving or eat at a 50 dollar a plate restaurant then you know what, a lot of people can't afford that.

And there are plenty of single mothers who would love another child if the right man comes along.

Again, not every situation is the same. The fathers of these children may be married, in a committed relationship, or (most likely the case) absolutely not interested in his ex.

You need to treat women with children as individual's.

I could understand if you didn't want to date a woman with children because you; aren't good with kids, don't like kids, don't feel you would make them happy/couldn't form a positive relationship, there was too much responsibility to be cordial. The reasons you listed however are stereotypes and extremely unfair.

• They're completely fair in my world. Most men feel this way, but are
      so worried about offending someone that they won't voice their views.
      I'm right and nobody will EVER convince me that I'm not.

• @Kiran04 if you are referring to the situations and circumstances explained in your take, then no, it's not all the same. The only fact a guy is sure of when considering a single mother, is that she is has kids.

• They're valid to me. That's all I care about. I don't care if they are unfair.
      I cannot accept kids that aren't mine. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
      Sterotypes my ass, I'm relating experiences that I've had. No single mom rejected
      me. I tried being open minded and selfless and all it did was frustrate the shit out of
      and I wouldn't settle. Relationships are supposed to be give and take. I gave plenty
      and got nothing in return, And those single mothers I left, they ended up either being
      bitter old women or they married some loser ass guys who knocked them up and left again.
      My reasons are valid and make perfect sense to. A real man can accept and care for another man's kids?
      No way ! A real man would politely walk away and say I want my own kids, I want my wife to have her
      first kid with me and I don't want to be second best to your kids or ex's. But American men have been
      beaten down by the feminists and the courts that it's expected for us to take second best. !

• i can never see myself marrying someone who already has kids. i want everything to be MINE and my own. im only gonna live once and i really dont wanna deal with someones baggage from their past relationships.

• You deserve your kids to be your own. That is your right as a responsible adult. Don't let anyone try to rob you of that.

• I am a single mother of a 3 yr old and i think you're completely wrong. Im dating an amazing guy who loves both of us and doesn't mind sharing me with my daughter. My partner is a priority just as much as my daughter is. Because i love both of them. And not only is my daughter my priority she is also my bfs priority because he loves her. And he's not selfish... Which im sure you'd know nothing about. We both make sure we prioritize our alone time.
    Also, i can pay for my things my daughters things and both our meals and movie or whatever the hell it is we do on a date. Because im a women. And i know how to treat a man. Regardless of the fact that i have a child.
    I have no drama with my childs father. We respect each others relationships.
    And lastly, how selfish would i be if i didn't want to give my partner a child because i already have one... You're either stereo typing all single mothers... Or meeting all the wrongs ones... We're not all the same. I can assure you of that.

• I never said you were. It sounds as though you've got an exceptional relationship. Mazel tov ! But it's
      never worked for me and I've had too many bad experiences to ever try one again. But I'm adamant, no women with kids for me. I won't consider it. Period.

• The stars line up for you. Good for you. Not gonna be true of everyone, in fact likely not going even be remotely true for even a fraction of other single parents or single parent daters. There are exceptions to every rule, even gravity. Point still stands.

• This come off as really angry and judgmental. There's nothing wrong with deciding you don't want to date someone with kids - that's perfectly valid - but in this piece you basically sounded off about how guys who date Mom's get no credit and aren't appreciated and this and that and every other thing, which frankly, you're not in a place to be assuming. I know a few single Moms and believe me - they DO appreciate men who choose to make the sacrifices and deal with the stress that comes with dating a parent.

I, personally, will not date a man who has children because I myself do not want children, and especially not an "insta-family". It's a valid choice. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like single Dad's are the worst because they can't provide me with the type of relationship and life that I want. They're just not a good choice for ME.

• And yet I managed to avoid stating anything about single mothers as people or about their personalities. What you choose to be offended about is your business, but your final analysis is wrong.

• My assumptions are based in fact, logical, well reasoned, and they make sense. Dating single mothers is more risk than reward, more hassle than enjoyment, and no childless single man is honor bound to date them, nor should people try to goad them into dating them with gender propaganda and sensationalism that isn't based in reality. Again, I said nothing of the kind of people they were. You are still choosing to be offended on a bad analysis.

• I totally agree, for all these reasons this is why I refuse to date a single father.
    I want him ALL to myself, no ex wifes or ex mothers or whatever
    I want MY kids with him and not be responsible for someone elses
    I want OUR time, not most of his time spend on kids that aren't even mine

• That is 100% understandable. Single parenthood is not gender specific.

• Same here. I have that also with men.. I don't want to date someone who has a young child or children. It's too intrusive. They're mother will also be very dominant in your life, so you have to deal with an ex that is still very much part of his life. Yet he dates me without baggage, there's no ex in my life.. I'm all yours. No no no.. that's not fair for me. I deserve someone without all that baggage.

• Completely understandable. Any single parent is off the dating radar as far as I'm concerned, man or woman. You are not obligated to deal with all that crap. You don't deserve to deal with all of that crap, and you don't have to deal with it. Why walk on hot coals with no shoes when you could just take the side walk?

• You do deserve a guy with no kids. It's not wrong to feel that way.

• I agree with you. I don't have children and make no plans to. My mother, sister, cousins, grandma, and basically every female from immediate and extended family were teen/single moms. None of them are happy, none of them have stable relationships, and above all they are all miserable. I learned from their mistakes not to run out and get pregnant even if you get married. It's sad because they are strong women but the baggage is terrible and I've watched them and their children suffer endlessly. This is just from my experience. Almost every woman in my family is a single mom.

• Okay. Sure. Whatever. I highly doubt a single mother would want you - you'd be one of those husbands, from the sounds of it, that gets jealous of a newborn baby hogging all her time and attention.

• If the kid isn't mine, hell yea I would. You act like women aren't the most jealous creatures on the face of the earth, hypocrite.

• Single mothers don't care if guys don't want to date them trust me lol I know a lot of them as well as dads they usually go for the ones that don't mind right off the bat. Kids are supposed to be your number priority, I would not date a man who would push his kids to the side for me. I understand that I can't be number one and that is fine if you are not comfortable with but that does not mean that a single parent will never be able to have a relationship it just takes finding someone that understand that you have to fit in their life somewhere and be ok with that. There are plenty people in relationships that don't feel lit their partner is prioritizing their relationship and neither one of them have kids. Your relationship doesn't have to be number one that is never healthy when you have other aspects in your life that need attention period. What is it with guys thinking that dating a woman with kids means that you will have to play their step dad and and financially support her and her child? You many not have mentioned this but a lot of guys think this so I'm speaking on it. That is thinking too far ahead when you are just dating someone. If you were considering being serious of course you will have to accept the child and have to interact but depending on the situation that child already has a dad. I'm not even going to deny drama happens because single parents don't know how to co-parent these days without bickering but that's not all of them. The chances of the mother getting back with the father is the same as anyone with an ex. A child doesn't keep people together and it doesn't make you want someone back. Some single parents are bitter about mother/father of their kids are moving on but they will have to deal with it if you make it your problem then you will have to deal with it too. Everyone can have a preference to date or not to date parents because they don't like kids, don't want a ready made family, or will be jealous of the child whatever the reasons are nobody can force you to date them just know that they are not better than child-free people and I'm saying this as a child-free person. A person without kids can have a lot of bs, baggage, and issues just as much or less as a person without kids. Being a parent says nothing about someone's heart and their character.

• I don't want to deal with some other man's sloppy seconds. That's shitty, I know. But it's
      the truth as I see it. Also no single woman in her right mind should want to do this
      either. Why should she?

• Another persons kids are SLOPPY SECONDS. To us. They are problems, They will grow up to be problems. Single mothers should be shamed, Don't act like it's okay. Single mothers are the WORST parents.

• @Sethhh stop digging up old shit and commenting I stand by wtf I said and that's it there is nothing you can say to change my mind or anyone else just like I can't change yours.

• I kind of agree because I wouldn't date single father either, the thought of him have to share their attention and love to me and his child is just uncomfortable for me, even more if his ex wife still alive, their memory will remains and at some point or another, I will be compared to her. So... No thanks

• Hey, I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to date a single father either, though my reasoning is more because I'm too young to want to step into the role of a step-mother. I had a friend who liked to date men twice her age and one of the guys she dated had a handful of kids around her age and younger... She would not recommend that experience.

• i think it's kind of unfair to just count them out like that

• This is why i do not date guys with no children lol.

to counter argue
    You just went off on a bunch of stereotypes bashing a bunch of people you do not even know, what does that make you?

You assume you are such a great catch that no woman with a child could resist you... My kid comes first to any guy, even the thought of any guy.

You are a turn off, where do you even get the time to hate this much?

I can fully support my child on my own above and beyond, i would only want a guy for my company and to be a friend to my kid, im the parent.

Your opinion, but you are so wrong about so many things and you made a fool of yourself in the process.

• It is funny though, opinions change, relationships change, love can fall apart in 2 years or in 20... many of the people who objected this situation will have children or a divorce or both in the following years... life doesn't always work out as you planned.

• I'm not wrong and EVERY situation with single mothers has been the way I described.
      No way I'm ever playing second best to another man's children. I assure you that virtually
      all men feel this way. Ye I am that good of a catch. The likes of which you will never have.
      Or anyone like you for that matter.

• I didn't make a fool of myself. I simply stated how most men feel, but are too cowardly to
      admit it or voice it. I'm not wrong, and if I am, I don't give a shit ! I'm not EVER going to
      play #2 to some kid who isn't mine. Not going to happen. EVER ! I've mad that crystal
      clear. Don't limp all men wthout kids into the same kettle. You're wrong with ever idiotic breath you spend on this topic.

• I completely understans why people feel this way. If you cannot make your child (ren) AND me your top priority then why should I make either of you mine? It should be about FAMILY first. Not just the child.

• It sounds like you would be your own number 1 priority so I'm not sure why any woman would want to be number 2 to that.

• Exactly babe, and your kids are your number one priority. Why would a man want to be number 2 to that? (They're not my own kids)

• I kind of agree with you mate. I mean, when you have a valid argument and defend it well, there's not much people can say.

• Even if you had a child with someone who didn't have one before you're going end up being #2 so i don't see why it matters. You always end up being #2 unless there is no kids.

& seriously, you don't even care for the kids it they're not yours? That's terrible, my mothers ex boyfriend loves us like we were his own.

• Wait, how am I going to end up being #2 if I have children with a woman who didn't have children before? We're a family now. Children and husband can have equal priority.

• I care for them, but I can never love them like my own. Most men can't and are too scared to say it.
      I one for one cannot and will not do it. I'm not going to feel like an intruder or an outsider in
      my own home.

• Oh, I wasn't sure what part you were even talking about to be honest. @Marinepilot

• Its like who ever (is that one worrd😒) you date it are potential parents of your offspring. I mean you are still kind of young and why waste her time if you can't we all have limitations. And tbh honesty is a key to any relationship like once you lose that you are done.
    Also just a random note here... a father in my mind does not father a child be raises it.
    So hey its ok. it's cool and you do want your own kids.

• There are plenty of single mothers out there and they need a real man not a whinny selfish spoiled brat.

• Yet they can't find any so they take to complaining and loneliness.

• That maybe, But I know for a fact MOST men won't get involved with a single mother.
      Why should we? Give one good, valid reason why we should be #2, put up with
      drama with the ex's and not have the pretty childless years that many women give to losers?
      No way I'm doing that.

• Real men don't want a woman with kids. Why should we?

• More from Girls
    10

What Guys Said 35

• I can really appreciate where you are coming from with this take.

Speaking from my personal experience, I can offer perspectives on all sides of this dating/mating situation.

In 2005, my divorce with my first wife became final and I obtained custody of my 4 year old son. I then purchased a membership on eHarmony. I made clear in my profile that my son and I were a package deal. I required ANY prospective mate to become as invested in my son as me. My boy was not my priority... my family was my priority. In that context, my boy and me would both be protected, provided for and get our needs met.

I was matched with a number of women and was fortunate to find among them the woman who would become @GraySailorsBride . She was a package deal too, having two daughters from a previous marriage.

In 2006 we married, in a ceremony that blended our families.

This is the situation as it stands:

- my wife is my top priority, full stop.
    - my three children are equally my own regardless of how they came to be.
    - everyone knows that this is the case and it has been good for me, my wife and the rest of my family.
    - the best thing that my wife and i can do as mother and father is to present ourselves as examples of a devoted wife and husband.
    - the daily display of affection, commitment & respect, demonstrates to our children what they can expect for themselves in their future mates.
    - presenting such an example is a powerful way to teach.

• I'm in tears man that is so beautiful :) you guys found each other and made things work

• I'm glad it's worked for you. It never has for me.

• @Marinepilot

Thanks for your remark. I strongly believe that my success derives from two elements:

1) finding a quality woman of shared values

2) the shared perspectives that derive from the symmetry of our union (on account of us both having children from prior marriage)

• didn't read a word but i agree. I have 0 interest in dating a single mom

Taking care of another mans kid is like continuing from someone elses saved game

• I have never seen someone describe why it is so bad to date a woman with a child, as well as a women on this site once did when she went on a rant about how great single moms are. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a10204-the-struggles-of-being-a-single-mom

She was pretty much the poster child, for why guys don't want to have a relationship with a woman that has kids.

• She deserves to be single and die alone. No way and sane single man should
      get involved with her. No way Jose !

• As usual this topic illicits a number of results. Being a single parent of either gender is tough. No question. I really don't want to date single mothers because of many of the reasons mentioned here. Rarely do these relationships work out. Why should a normal, single person male or female get into a relationship where clearly they will never be a top priority? And deal with psychotic ex's and ex in laws and have the
    constant reminder that she or he had their first kid with someone else? I tried to date single mothers and I left them every time for whatever reason. Bottom line, I'm not playing second best to anything or anyone. And I GODDAMN sure won't play second best to anything I had no part of creating ! NO FUCKING WAY ! Too many time dates got cancelled because of something with the kid. Too many times the woman I was involved with couldn't give me proper attention because of her kid or something her ex did or didn't do to piss her off. Or when she did get around to giving me attention, she was too tired to do it properly. And I'm supposed to willingly accept this? No way Jose ! To all you single parents out there, I understand your life is tough and can be a fucked up mess. I get that I truly do. But don't be upset if a single man or woman w/o kids moves own when you don't or want make them a priority equal to your kids. Why should they drive a used car with too much baggage when there are plenty of new models ready to go with very little baggage? It's a no brainer. I know that remarks with piss some people off. Especially single mothers, of well. The group that really pisses me off are the single mothers who say "It takes a real man to accept and care for another man's kids " MY ASS ! A true man will do what is best for him and fuck what anyone else thinks. Again, why sholud single people be with someone kids when there are literally billions of potential mates w/o kids? I rest my case. Counselor, your witness.

• being raised by a single mother myself, i agree with you 110%

• whole-heartedly disagree. Single mothers may have baggage, granted, why should the kid be to blame for her being single and staying single? a child should not be a deal breaker. Let us look on the other side of the coin. If our wives or girlfriend have passed on, and we got a kid. should we remain single and women shouldn't date us because we are in the same boat as them?

• @Marinepilot: Semper Fi and oo-rah to you..

• This is my take, when you are a certain age, you make compromises. Plain and simple, if you care enough for that person, you would do it.

• I'm a rather open minded non-child-having guy... but I know myself. I crave attention in a relationship, and a woman with a child (ren) , would be less likely to be able to give me the attention and time I would require to be satisfied.

I don't discount single mothers off the bat, but I have to tread carefully and analyze each case.

• If only the world was as black and white as you make it out to be. But thankfully it's not.

• It's not black and white. It's smart, and not smart.

• Funny thing about people who think they are smart. Not always the case.

• Funny thing about people who spot random crap. Not always true.

• "They don't have a ton of cash to spend, so the guy usually ends up paying for everything"
    ~While this MAY apply to some, it doesn't apply to all. You can't just assume every single mother is broke as hell. But I'd rather be with one with little money to spend, due to the fact that she's actually spending it on her children, then one with loads of cash because she rarely acknowledges them. And what's wrong with paying for everything every once in a while? Acting like it's a crime.

"Even if he left out of the blue without a letter, there's ALWAYS a chance baby daddy will come back, and he most likely will not welcome your presence. I'm sorry, it's not my fault that it didn't work out between you two and you went your separate ways, but I still have to deal with the mess."
    ~If she left him, or he left her, there was a reason. If he DOES come back and you are scared that she may go running back to him, you have some serious insecurity issues. If there's one thing I learned about single mothers with sense, it's that their kids come first and dad is out of the picture for a reason. And if he DOES come back, be the man in the relationship and let him know he's unwanted. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't even be in a relationship with a female. Period. Sounds like you're the type to go running away like a whinny bitch in that scenario.

"Lastly, many single mothers have no interest in having more kids. Understandable, they've already got their hands full with the kids already present, but this presents a problem for me. I want my own kids. MY kids."
    ~Like finances, not every single mother has no interest in having any more kids, she might have no interest in having kids with the previous guy. And what's wrong, can't accept her child as your own? That's selfish, and no wonder relationships with single mothers probably never work out with you. If the guy can't show he can accept her child as his own, what's makes her think you'll be any better with your own recreations running around? If you're distant towards her kids, anyone with a brain will see that transferring to any kids she has with YOU.

"Add that all up, and you've got a recipe for unhappiness. Sure, sometimes it works out and sometimes it's great, but let's calculate the odds on that one."
    ~So, what, that means EVERY relationship with a single mother is doomed to fail? What about ones with women and men without kids that fail?

These reasons, plus the whinny tone, are why I disagree with you.

• I gave my reasons since I read on other comments that you seem to want reasons as to why I disagree.

• I have a step-dad I respect completely. My brothers like him a lot as well. Of course it won't be equal, considering he has a few years where my mother has birth plus all the years of raising us, but that doesn't mean we treat him and he treats us any different that he treats his own kids, who I've met and he honestly treats us the same.

And I don't know why you said, "Go marry a woman with kids" like I am just gonna up and do that. That's a big ass decision to marry someone, and I'm not a dick that marries a woman as a "test marriage" or some other stupid shit like that. If I do end up in a relationship with a single mother, I will treat the kids as my own. So what you said IS selfish, basically saying they ain't blood they ain't mine.

A fake man refuses to even respect his womans kids. A real man calls them his own. I'll accept them as my own, despite not being blood related. And if I know I'll soon be their step-father, I'll want them to at least respect me. Otherwise, it's hell.

• People need to stop using the phrase "real man". That is just a way to shame any guy that disagrees with you. Men don't have to do anything to prove they are men.

When I said go marry a woman with a kid, then come back her I was referring to you lacking experience to adequately judge others. It was just a comment about you needing to go out and get experience. Clearly I wasn't suggesting that you marry a woman as a test.

Once you are with a woman in an unequal relationship do to her having more power over her children, then you will understand, that men simply cannot choose to accept responsibility for another man's child. It isn't like when a man and woman adopts a child. The mother normally won't ever accept him as the true father, and the man is left feeling like an outsider in his own home. There are very real issues when dating a woman with kids.

• I've tried dating single mothers and I have nothing personally against them but it is a tall order because their kid is their priority, and rightfully so, but a lot of times I'd have to deal with, "I can't come out tonight, kids still up" or "I'm gonna have to bring my kid with"

I'm not saying single mothers don't deserve anyone, that's not the case at all. I'm just saying I'd prefer my date not to have kids.

What about single Dads though? They're just as obligated to the kid as the mother is.

• That being said, since I'm 25 I think dating a single mother at this age is a lot different compared to dating a single mom in your 30s and beyond. But hey if you date a single mom or single dad and you both love each other and it works out, more power to you.

• You have a great head on your shoulders @Creole_Flavor

• @Marinepilot some single moms I've seen try to find any justification for them having a kid and pass it into others if it's a dealbreaker for them. In fact my first pof date was a single mom, only 21 at the time, and a year later when I saw her new profile, she said I'm a single mom and I know that it's a turnoff to some but if you can't handle that then you're not a man, you're a man child. As if everyone else our age or most are raising kids.

• "Right, I didn't work at all for my money. It just fell out of the sky onto my straight, male lap. Surely more would have fallen if I was also white."

As a straight white male I have to wear a hard hat when I go outside to protect myself from all the gold nuggets falling out of the sky at me.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...4c11fda7ba.jpg

• pretty much all of this is bollocks. I was dating a single mother for 2years and it was the best relationship I've ever had. were still close friends now and didn't encounter any of the things you mentioned here.

the only reason it ended (which was mutual btw) is because we both went to uni in different cities. however, we're still very close friends.

Im guessing you are just bitter over a break up

• Dude, I loved this take. Not just the content (which is your view) but the sarcastic way you wrote it, genius. I think you should be a writer. The replies were also entertaining. I fell for a single mom (she was a 9, give me some credit here) and we hit off. Then came my personal deal breaker: religion. She became a reborn Christian and she puts God in front of me!!! At least a kid is real!! So I kindly put her into the friendship zone corner. She is becoming one of those girls that are so into their pets now. Single moms and cats, I would love to see a correlation graph.

• Scrambled, thank you. Maybe I will become a writer. The feelings I expressed are mine
      and I'm not backing down or apologizing for feeling this way. You get bitten on the ass
      by a King Cobra, it makes one think hard before putting yourself in a position to ne bitten
      again. The notion of the one big happy stepfamily like The Brady Bunch is an illusion
      that rarely exists. Blended families break up at a rate of over 75% according to what I've
      read. So the deck is stacked against these relationships. No single mothers for me. I tell
      the single moms I meet that I don't date women with kids. I'll be your friend or maybe even
      a fuck buddy. But I'll never marry you or uncondtiionally accept you kid/kids. No one can
      accuse me of not being honest. Many say this is harsh. I don't think so

• Man I actually feel bummed. I thought about this single mom last night after reading this and yeah, I am young looking for my age, do gym, musician and went to Australia, while she stayed in South Africa. Im starting to think she was just using me to get that "jock' effect at her later age. Yeah she is so friendshipzoned. I am actually going to innocently tell her about some sexual conquest I do in the future and be graphic. Women always complain about their boyfriend problems to their friendshipzoned friends, I think its time I start returning the favour.

• Obviously dating single-mothers is a horrible idea. If your husband or boyfriend left you with kids, then your judgment and emotional intelligence is simply too terrible for a relationship.

• Another arguable point.

• It works like this either she is trash and got with a manwith no commitment or she's evil and was able to drive a man away from his kids.

• I agree, this is true in a lot of cases.

• I agree with what you're saying. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. The only way I'd date a single mother is she was a widow but even that's pushing it due to the exceptional amount of drama that you might face.
    Bottom line is most men shouldn't date single mothers because I personally don't want the responsibility of raising another mans kid. Unless she is a widow or had a divorce after the fact then more than likely she had a poor choice in men and did not think about the repercussions of having intercourse with a man who most likely would not be willing to father a child. Some could argue that he didn't "step up" and raise the kid but, that's not a very wise statement to make. Both parties should've thought about that before hand. So yes I agree we shouldn't date single mothers it's entirely to risky and for the most part I agree with what you say. And thanks for making this known.

• Another horrific thing to consider is, male microchimerism in women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16084184

Women literally carry DNA from their past lovers inside them, and it shows in brain tissue. That could be cool in a marriage (knowing you're literally putting your DNA in your wife where it will become a part of her) or horrific (knowing that the trashy guys your girl used to get banged by are literally still with her,)

• Very asinine.

• Fucking hell you guys must be crazily insecure if you really believe that kind of crap, or even let it affect you in any way. Get over yourself.

• The way I see it dating a single mother just because you feel bad for them isn't love, children bring people down its a fact especially young people with limited money and unlimited opportunity, children big you down and make your life slow, complicated, and very expensive. There is no way I'm going to ruin my young fun life just because I feel bad.

• I guess it all depends on how I feel about her regardless of the kids. Granted I want kids of my own I won't treat them any different than hers which will be ours... but I want my kids too... that would be a deal breaker that would be something later on in a relationship.

• Pretty true, I want my children to be half me, half my wife, not completely biologically alien to me, and I would never be top priority in her life as you've also pointed out, and would also be in the middle of a shit storm if the ex decided to come back. No thanks, not for anyone. Ever.

• *Standing ovation*

• More from Guys
    15