Why you should date other races!

I want to share some fun facts, tips and advantages on interracial dating. I personally believe it should just be called 'dating' but anywho...

TIP: Do not assume that just because a person is from a certain culture or ethnic background that the person fits the stereotype of all people from that ethnicity. There is a great deal of diversity within a culture. Some people may "look" of a certain race or ethnicity but, may not identify with that specific group. When dating people of other races, just because you have a friend who is similar in culture or ethnicity, do not assume you know everything about his/her culture. Understanding the similarities and differences can help prevent misunderstandings.

ADVANTAGES OF DATING OTHER RACES

Learning about another culture or religion

Why you should date other races!!

Being exposed to new ways of thinking.

Having an incredible new experience with someone you love and respect.

Possibly learning a new language.

It keeps things interesting.

Breaking stereotypes

When you date someone of a different race, it gives you and your partner opportunities to break negative stereotypes about your respective races. It also provides a counterexample to ignorant and hateful stereotypes, and helps others become more open-minded and accepting.

You should broaden your horizons

The only failed relationship is one where you don’t grow as a person. Even relationships that don’t last forever can and should be mutually beneficial. Being open to “other” kinds of women and men offers a broader perspective of the world, including how you see it and how it sees you. And that positions you to make choices about things in your relationships that really matter, because you have grown in self awareness.

It's a good strategy!

Finding someone special is always a numbers game, so some level of strategy will do you good. If you’re statistically more likely to meet someone more your speed by checking “other” on ethnicity, then that’s just a well-informed decision. Well-managed decisions tend to offer better outcomes. Time is also a factor and plenty of it is wasted on people who just aren’t good for you. That doesn’t mean that people of your own race aren’t good for you, but if you are limiting yourself based on race, you’re also limiting your chances to find happiness. More options equals more chances.

Variety is the spice of life!

We all need it. A break from the norm. A chance to try something different. Variety enriches all other factors in your life: the food you eat, the places you visit, the shoes on your feet and the hair on your head. Why wouldn’t injecting a little spice into your dating selections be just as beneficial? Lots of women and men fall into the “tried it, didn’t work” category when it comes to dating people of other races, but bad dates are inevitable no matter what race the other person is. If at first you don’t succeed, try again. You may just find your soulmate.

It's the 21st century

The economy, business and information infrastructure is global — and yet your dating pool is ultra-local. Now more than any time in the past, women are empowered with the benefit of choice. Exercise it! (This goes for men too).

I'm NOT saying that we should all exclude our own races and strictly date people of other races, that's just ridiculous. If you're smitten with someone the same race as you then by all means, go for it!!

I do think that times are changing and the "norm" should be done away with. Rules are meant to be broken, if your parents or grandparents forbid you to date someone outside of your race you should say screw it and do it anyway!!

We do everything else our parents tell us not to, we're all human beings so why carry on with flawed 'traditions'? Ask yourself, why is being with another human being who only looks different from me considered so unorthodox? A better question is why do you listen to people with that flawed way of thinking?

You can't help who you fall in love with and anything that gets in the way of true isn't love at all. If you're not part of the solution then you're apart of the problem.

The only thing we're sure of in this world is change. Things are always changing and changes in our lives can happen at any time. Sometimes change is good.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 60

• The only ' race' i see is the human race

So, I disagree with this take

• Technically then, you should support this take.

• Lol dude thats what the take is about.

• So you see a person's ethnicity then right?

• you're also inspiration for all those guys/girls who might want to try it but are afraid of the ridicule !

• Great take.
    Personally outside of White girls I'm also interested in Latino, Asian and most recently Persian girls. However Black girls are just not my type. Never found them attractive even when they have the same body type of an attractive White girl.

• I used to not be attracted to black girls. Then there were a couple that caught my eye and I dated them. Now, I find myself very attracted. May not happen the same for everyone, but that is what happend for me, and I'm glad it did. You're missing out.

• @asiag299 Aww thank you!! That's very sweet of you :). Nice to actually hear it from a strong black person herself. Keep up the good work and attitude. You're a very positive person too, that's good

• I think people should date individuals and if they happen to be a different race than that's cool and if they aren't then that's also cool too. I don't think people should actively seek it out just like I don't think people should actively seek out people with the same skin color as themselves. I just think we should treat people as individuals.

• Now, do you think it's fair to actively seek out a person of a particular culture due to interest or similarity/familiarity?

• @coconutelixir I kind of think everyone is an unknown when we are getting to know them regardless of race.

When it comes to perspectives of beauty, I think a lot of us are taught what's beautiful growing up and even if we don't intend to be hateful or show prejudiced, we are all raised in a society that still puts a lot of emphasis based in the color of our skin and desirability based off of that. So no I don't think people are motivated by hate but I think we are all influenced by it whether we realize it or not. It could also be cultural stereotypes that we are influence by in the same way. People's beauty standards are diversifying more and more though so I think that's a step in the right direction. I remember there was a time when my beauty standards for women were more racially based but that changed as I explored new ideas, watched foreign films, and learned about different cultures (I love traveling). In the end I think beauty is pretty fluid and our tastes can really change.

• O ya, every one of us is an unknown to the other, I meant the difference in culture adds another unknown on top of that. Speaking for myself, no one in my extended family has married outside the ethnicity. It wouldn’t be received well, and though they could warm up eventually, it would change things. I can’t imagine a life with someone not having the same relationship with my family. That kinda sacrifice and unknown puts me off even trying, so I don’t. If that pressure wasn’t there, I wouldn’t mind a person’s background. I guess for me, family and culture does not affect attraction, but it affects pursuing the attraction.
      Back to racial beauty, I am with you. I do notice the world is heading towards a more open-minded perspective. It’s nice. When you stop and think about it, it’s weird how much emphasis has been placed on this 1 feature (skin color) compared to all other features. For some, a person’s skin color can divert attention from their eyes, lips, hair, style, personality, etc

• While this is great and all and I personally don't care much about race beyond the associated culture if they identify with it; I somewhat wonder about the genetical effect of mixing severely different genetic populations. It might be a good thing. It might be bad. It might depend on the two mixed population. Maybe it is coincidental. There might be statistical research on it. Might be interesting.

• My wife won't approve it. I don't know why.

• *Should*... umm that sounds a bit imperative. You should date whoever the fuck you like. Weather or not you should be ABLE to date other races is whole another matter. But purposefully seeking out individuals of other race to date, just because it's "the right thing to do", and "LOL it's the 21 century, you close minded ractionist" sounds like a load of crap to me.

• Obviously I did NOT mean people should only date other races and exclude their own. That's not the message I was trying to portray. I should have picked a different title cause it seems to be the only thing a lot of people are focused on.

by the way, did you read this part:
      "I'm NOT saying that we should all exclude our own races and strictly date people of other races, that's just ridiculous. If you're smitten with someone the same race as you then by all means, go for it!!"

Go have a seat somewhere.

• Break the stereotypes lol I'm still going to stereotype everyone even if they don't like the things or are irritated people need to be able to poke fun at their race and stop being such pansies xD

• Its a great experience!! ITs like eating at a new restaurant or trying foods you never tried before. Keeps life interesting, lite and fun. Great to c the world progressing.

• Once you go black...

... you'll need a wheelchair.

• I have no problem dating other races, I just don't find people of most other races attractive.

• I'm scared of new things and new ideas.

• Any race mixed with Asian create the most exotic looking babies. Yep, my biased af opinion!

• You are correct !
    -------------------
    4th pic just awesome. What's her name who is in 4th pic?

• I've been doing this since 2006 where's everyone else been at?

• Let's see.. I'm white with 3-4 generations removed from my native American ancestory... So, mainly white.

First girl I kiss = black (light skinned)
    First girl I had sex with = black (dark skinned)
    First girl I fooled around with = Asian
    I've dated several white girls..
    I've been interested in one girl who was from South America.. so latin American...

And I've found a few mexican females to be attractive.

The weird thing is, I have no problem dating or being in an intimate relationship with anyone of any race, but part of me does want a white child. I guess that's a down side to being white in comparison to the other races. Other races their skin tone and features tend to stand out more in their offspring than a white child. And I kind of would like my child to look like me in as many physical outward aspects as possible. With that said, I know full well that a mixed baby of mine that is either asian/black/latino or whatever can very easily still look like me with a dark complexion or a combination of my race and the mothers race (as I carry my native American ancestry bone structure more than I do my white ancestors bone structures, but have my white ancestors skin, eyes, hair color)

But like I said, I have no problem with being in a relationship and being with a woman of any race and I know that if we have sex and have kids that my kid is going to be bi-racial and I wouldn't love my child any less, but I wouldn't be able to empathize with my child if they ever have to deal with problems because of their outward appearance being black or Asian or latin American because it's not something I can ever experience. I can sympathize but not empathize with them. And I think that fact kind of worries me because I would want to do everything I can to be there for my child but without ever truly experiencing what they are going through.

• Do u have blue eyes and light hair?
      Just curius, cuz u said u have native American roots

• @girlinthemirror When I was little I had blond hair and my eyes are blue-ish green. Now, my hair is dark brown. My oldest brother carries the most traits as he has dark eyes and pure black hair and facial hair, but he doesn't really grow facial hair that well. I grow it fairly well and my facial hair is brown/blond/red.

• Great take. I will date Hispanic, Native American and White.

• We are not obligated to date other races if we do not want to.

• I am Asian American, but I do like Women of every race as long as they are Christian, because I have Christian beliefs. It's just my choice. Also even though I do like Women of every race as I mentioned above I usually prefer White, or Hispanic Women too. However remember that this is just only my opinion too. :).

• I like your take but I don't think we share the same thoughts about it. You should date who ever you feel strongly attracted to regardless of their race, we are all in fact humans so why only date someone from your own race, that's my philosophy.

• More from Guys
    40

What Girls Said 36

• I thought about it many times. Yesterday our Biology/evolution teacher told us that the more a person is different from us, the more chances our offspring will be stronger...
    But other than that, I think it would be very fun and interesting to learn and be in touch with another culture! But there are obstacles as-well...

• I've been on dates/slept with/kissed white guys, Asian guys and black guys. I'm totally into multiracial!

I love the couple pictures in this <3

• Have you noticed anything different between each of the different races?

• @QooLipBite The Asians were very outgoing, ambitious and ridiculously optimistic and positive. Usually very successful and drove expensive, nice cars. Quite forward though and hands on. Still nice company though.
      The black guy was very nice, had similar views, not all hands on or at all creepy. Very laid back and easy going. Relatively successful but happy with what he had. Respectful of me.
      White guys I've dated have been in low paid jobs, but usually have some kind of hobby they love and work hard for. Not fully respectful of women and quite confrontational/aggressive. Can sometimes be romantic.

This is just my own person experience, not a generalisation - before someone comes in to attack.

• Thanks for your answer :)

Exceptional observation skills 😄

• People should date whoever they are attracted to, regardless of race. Though I do think people should put the effort into getting to know people outside their own little bubbles, both platonically and romantically.

• I love this.

• Those that argue with your point clearly are those who do not broaden their horizons like you mentioned.

• Thank you! :)

• Awwwww!
    Sweet MyTake! =)

• It would be a disaster if they clash culturally. I understand why most would date only their own. Cultural differences can be a sensitive area to broach because it is in with their physical , ancestral heritage and
    emotional identity. Its a huge slap to their long term ego!

• I mean, like, that's probably only really relevant if one is a fourth or fifth generation American and the other is a newly landed immigrant. If you're both from the same country and have similar immigration times, your cultural identity is going to be pretty much the same.

• I'm dating a guy who is half-Caucasian half Indian. Sure, he does look Indian, and at first my mom was taken aback by it. But looks don't matter (unless you're talking about the hygiene part of it, that's an different story) because they will fade with time. I think in my personal option that he's very handsome. He's very sweet, polite, kind, hilarious, and smart. He's everything I've ever wanted in an guy but haven't known. If I had just stocked to the stereotypes and dated another Caucasian, I wouldn't found such a wonderful guy.

• I feel like cultural differences is also what scares some people about dating other races

• It would be nice and interesting to date someone different but im always be more into my latino guys lol

• I believe you should date someone because of their personality and compatibility. However, I've dated Latinos, east men and whites. I enjoyed each relationship ^.^

• This is really beautiful and a great article!

• Stupid are those who:
    - stereotype
    - are afraid of doing it because they are afraid of the ridicule. Why should you sacrifice your happiness for what people might or might not think of you?

• Does a half white half black girl dating a white guy count?

• That cute little kid looks like a cabbage patch 😊
    I am not going to actively seek a specific race or races, just a great guy, the looks comes later.

• i love that last picture

• I personally would prefer to be with someone of my own culture or at least of the same religion (could be different race), because it's an important part of my life and would make it easier/ more peaceful/more relateable for now and long term BUT if I met someone amazing to me whom I had great chemistry with from a different race/culture/religion completely, I wouldn't automatically reject that.

I'm all for people dating who they want. Do it for you and what matters most to you. I think it's okay to prefer your own so long as you don't sit there bad mouthing or barring others for doing otherwise.

• I think people should be more open minded about dating outside of their race when it comes to dating but I wouldn't say they should feel obliged to date other races.
    Personally race has no influence in dating for me, but being the only black student in my school I ended up dating a white guy.
    But I wouldn't go out of my way to date someone of a particular race, including my own.

• Well yeah all of these things are nice but at the end of the day I will date whoever I fall for, regardless of his race. I'm not going to pick a guy on purpose just because he isn't white. If I fall for him, good, if I don't, whatever. You SHOULD only date people you've fallen for. You SHOULDN'T date someone of another race just because they're of another race.

You get all these benefits just by befriending people of other races too, a relationship is not a must.

• I should have titled it differently, everyone seems to be up in arms about the title even tho I stated no one should exclude people of their own race.

• I understand and agree with some of what you said but we shouldn't have to be influenced to date someone of a different ethnicity or race.

The #1 reason as well as only reason we should want to date someone of a different race is because we're into them and it just so happens that the color of their skin is different if that's so happens to be the case. If they're the same then that's fine too. We should be encouraging people to date or be with who they want regardless of their race.

• That's one of the points I was getting at. If you like someone you shouldn't shoot down the idea of dating them just cause they're a different race.

• i love interracial relationships! especially seeing the mixed kids! so cute!

• More from Girls
    16