Why women are not interested in "nice guys"

I've been on this site for a looong time and one thing that NEVER fails to pop up is that women do not date "nice guys". This is the typical situation I see: the guy who is crazy about one of his close female friends asks her out after being interested in her for a long time and she rejects him. He gets mad and thinks "how dare she not want me, I've been nothing but nice to her" and generally he is right, he has been nothing but nice to her and he would probably make a wonderful boyfriend if given the opportunity. I've been in a similar situation in the past and have had the same thoughts run through my head. However, now that I'm much more experienced I know how wrong this "nice guy" mentality actually is.

Why women are not interested in

The real and obvious reason a girl won't date a nice guy or any other guy she turns down is because she is not interested in him. I know, that's so dumbed down and obvious, but it brings up the next points. What are some possible reasons why a girl is not interested?

1. No physical attraction

Simple, she's not physically attracted to you and no matter how nice you are, it's just not enough for a women to see you in a romantic way if there is no physical attraction. The solution to this is: work out, stay well groomed/clean, and keep up with fashion (that still won't be enough though if you're a "nice guy" as you'll see when I get to my main point). Before you get mad and call women superficial, do you really think you'd date a woman whom you feel zero attraction towards if you have other more attractive options just because she's nice? Yea don't think so and if you say otherwise all you're doing is lying to yourself.

2. Your personalities don't match up

I don't think this needs much of an explanation, she doesn't think you two get along well enough to be a couple.

3. You're too clingy/weird

There is a thing as being too nice. Being too nice can be just plain weird sometimes and seen as obsessive and lacking confidence. Everyone knows the phrase "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't". It's the same thing with being nice, what are you trying to make up for that you're being that nice? Is that ALL you have to offer? Just being nice? If being nice is what defines you then all you are is a pushover and being a pushover does not scream confidence and women love confidence.

Imagine you're friends with a girl and you casually tell her "ugh I really wanted a snickers bar, but I couldn't find one anywhere around here". An hour later she shows up with a snickers bar and tells you she drove 30 minutes away to get one for you. This is a real life example, a friend of mine did this to a female friend he had a huge crush on and yes he's a very nice guy and no she was definitely not interested in him. Doing something like that is NOT nice or romantic if it's not justified, it's just plain weird. You only think it's going to earn you brownie points because you're interested in her. Imagine if a female friend of yours who you only see as friend did this. You'd think "aww that's sweet, but wtf why did she do this? This chick really needs to calm herself." That girl you got the snickers bar for thinks the same. Big romantic/nice gestures are only seen as romantic/nice if both parties feel the same way about each other, otherwise it shows a huge lack of knowledge of common social rules and social norms.

4. You're a giant pussy

Forward? Yes, but it's simple and gets the point across. This is also my main point. Do you really think a woman is going to suddenly fall in love with you if all you do is be nice to her? Hell no. If it was that easy this site wouldn't exist and most guys would never have a problem finding a girl because most guys are nice guys, it's one of the most common traits. For some reason "nice guys" associate being nice to not making any romantic moves towards women or flirting with them. They believe that being nice is flirting, which it is not, being nice and flirting are completely different. Crazy enough they see guys who actively flirt with women as assholes which makes zero sense (I do have a theory though and it is just a theory). Being nice =/= flirting and flirting =/= you're an asshole.

If you're not properly flirting with the girl you're interested in it only means you lack the confidence to do so and if we know anything it's that women love confidence. This is what women mean by confidence, you flirt with them and show them your interest. The absolute killer combination is to be a nice guy who knows how to properly flirt with women and show his interest towards them. Do you know how weird it is if you go to the female friend you're crushing on and ask her out without ever flirting with her and seeing how she responds? All it means is that you were purposely nice/her friend just so you can win her over, that's not what being a friend or being nice is all about, that's actually very deceitful and an asshole move. The real nice thing to do is express to her that you like her through playful flirting the moment you start liking her in a romantic way.

BONUS. Why women only date "assholes"

It's actually quite simple and you've probably heard it a bunch of times before, the reason women date "assholes" is because they possess traits that are seen as confidence. However, this is not what I want to get across. I want to get across why nice guys view the men women date as assholes even though the overwhemingly large majority are not.

Scenario: Nice guy likes a girl who is dating another guy. The relationship ends and the girl gets sad. Nice guy sees his crush sad and thinks her ex is an asshole for making her sad. What did this "asshole" possess that allowed him to get the girl in the first place? Positive qualities that women search for, most notably the confidence to flirt with women properly. Hence why nice guys view flirting/confidence as something only associated with assholes.

Lastly, what woman would actually choose to date an asshole? No sane woman wants to be treated like shit and/or get cheated on. When a normal woman actually does date a real asshole it's because she was tricked into thinking that the asshole was actually a nice guy (which is clearly an asshole move done by the asshole guy). The only people that do actively search for assholes have issues and you should probably not want to date them in the first place.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 27

• Yup, yup, yup...
    =)

• Amazing, thank you for this. This is basically what I've been trying to tell "nice guys" for years on here, every single sentence.
    This little tweet here basically sums up the nice guy mentality and why it's so stupid.
    40.media.tumblr.com/.../...trQ7vY1r6r32ho1_540.jpg

• You sir, are a genius... Couldn't have said it better myself
    static.comicvine.com/.../...6-5853276471-give-.jpg

• *Slow clap*

You did a really good job. I very much agree with this take and I really hope every nice guy out there takes the time to read it. I have no criticism to offer.

• Daaamn, boy! :O

Couldn't have said it better. :)

• I want to add that if I can't imagine having sex with you... I'm probably not going to think about you romantically.

So even if you're flirting. If it's just friendly banter and there's absolutely no dirty humor involved at all. NOT going to know you're interested.

Actually, I just went on a "date" recently (I say "date" because I thought we were hanging out as friends to play guitar together. lol!) and had absolutely no clue that he might've been interested in me besides him being quite stiff to talk to at moments and insisting on buying my coffee. Otherwise, I was doing all the complimenting and joking and asking questions.

Then he sent me a text telling me I was beautiful and he was smitten with me. Uh... really? Because I could've sworn that guy was not out with me moments ago.

• Hahahaha that almost sounds like my very first date (except it was considered a date), I was so nervous and hardly showed interest towards her, I was too nervous to even realize how terrible the date was going then by the end of it I texted her something similar. It's still a little embarrassing now that I think back, but it was a good learning experience. I hope the guy for his own sake sees what he did wrong. Best of luck finding a good guy!

• I googled uglypeople. com. glad to see its not aa real site. lol

• hahahaha yea I just googled ugly guy

• wow! that's pretty awful that people actually upload photos of others tagging them ugly.

• yea well it is the internet haha, you need to set your standards extremely low when it comes to the internet hahaha

• 0|1
  • Thank you. It's about time someone told these "nice guys" how they're not entitled to any woman they want just because they're friendly to her. You're not a nice guy if you're friendly to a woman for the purpose of persuading her she should be with you. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and if some one doesn't respect that, they're the asshole in the situation.

• I rarely comment on a mytake, but this is the most well written and accurate explanation for the nice guy vs asshole conundrum. What you wrote is exactly how women feel, what we're looking for, and why it seems like we don't want "nice guys" when we actually do! The confidence, flirting, showing interest AND being a nice guy is the lethal (in a good way) combination.

I just recently ended things after a few dates with a "nice guy" because of these exact things you mentioned. He was very sweet and should've been perfect for me on paper, but after a few dates, I could. not. get the attraction with him. Kissing was difficult, and he was a hottie! I realized later it was because of the things you mentioned. He never flirted. He never said he was attracted to me. I think he said he liked me one time. The majority of it was just friendly banter, mixed with a lot of awkward moments due to his shyness.

Long tangent aside, really well done. I don't think I could've explained it better. You seem to get women better than I could verbalize lol

• Thank you for the kind words :), I greatly appreciate it! I just thought this needed to be typed out on here since it's a topic that always seems to pop up. Plus I do want to help out the nice guys that always seemed to get friendzoned because they are good guys, but just terrible at showing their romantic side. I hope you find a guy that sweeps you off your feet. Best of luck ;)

• Sorry but I don't avoid the nice guys. What you have mainly spoken about is the men who moan when they are fictionally friendzoned. You want a girlfriend, you like us? make your intentions clear in the beginning because once we know you as a friend and know all your secrets in a way that is not 'can i still have a future with him even though his secret is quite insane?' way then you are out of there. Once you are our friend you lose boyfriend potential plain and simple because it ends up where we feel like our brother is asking us out.

the guys you are referring to as 'assholes' do have the confidence, they ask us out straight away so we date them and find out they are assholes and usually dump them. (Well I do).

So instead of trying to be our best friend first, don;t become ridiculously dependable without having at least kissed us first. That will always friendzone you.

• Yea that's exactly who this was aimed at, the nice guys who think just being a girl's friend will automatically make them their boyfriend after spending x amount of time with her and doing x amount of nice things. The best way for relationships to start is by making your intentions clear from the start.

• it just annoys us when you get a guy who says 'but i did this for you' and you are thinking 'but I never asked you to or even hinted at it. Don;t make me feel guilty when they were your decisions...

We get branded as bitches and its not fair :(

• Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Great take!

• And why aren't men interested in nice women?

I like a nice man, but he must like working out (at the gym, outside, at home, anywhere), because that's my passion. I want a man who likes working out as I do. We'd be able to talk about workouts, and we'd know each other's worlds.

• It can be very similar to the reasons above as in nice guys. Are you receptive to men's advances? Do you make guys feel appreciated when they show interest or do something for you? I don't know what it's like for women, but I can tell you that the best way to get my interest is by being sweet, down to earth, funny, and show some signs of interest (like giving me a compliment, looking excited to see me, asking things about me, trying to find my interests). If you do that to a guy, he will notice. Once he notices, see how he behaves, at this point he should try and take over and make advances, and you should let him. However, it is a balancing act. Show too much interest and you'll push him away, too little and he won't think you're interested. Give him something, then take something small away. It drives us men crazy when we know you're into us, but don't know exactly how much. Again though, I can't say I know too much on how to get a guy's attention since I've never felt the need haha

• Men never approached me. Other girls are better.

Well... some did, but they were not my type. Not my definition of "nice guys." For example, saying insincere flattery, like taking me to ride hot balloon, buying a gym for me, JUST after meeting at the first time, but I never heard from him after those claims. (I didn't reject. I just acknowledged what he said, with neutral responses.)

• You just listed all the reasons men are probably not going up to you. Lol!

Honestly, you don't sound very friendly. Guys LIKE confident girls that are "easy" to talk to. Doesn't make you "easy" for talking to a lot of people. It makes you likable, fun and easy-going.

• I consciously choose to date the shyer, more reserved guy. I'm usually approached by the stereotypical football star, wrestling jock, or weightlifting buff that many girls erroneously find attractive. Unfortunately for them, I get a good enough grasp of their personality on first impressions. I prefer nice, "less attractive" guys, not due in any part to lowering my standards, but because these are the ones I'm comfortable with, ones I can hold stimulating conversations with similar interests. These are the guys I find most attractive.

• There's no right or wrong on who you find the most appealing, whatever suits you best is the best.

• Too bad a girl like you is hard to find

• Finally someone understands!!! God forbid if I said it I'm a psycho.

• Yea guys seem to always backlash at these sort of things, they're usually just too buthurt to see it or work on it which is a shame because those are the guys that need this type of advice the most

• I love this take! I don't purposely date the jerks and assholes. I try to find guys who treat me nice. The problem is most guys, even jerks treat you nice in the beginning. They are really sweet and nice. This can go on for months. Then gradually the niceness doesn't come as often. Maybe the guy loses interest, maybe he's secretly seeing some other girl and is focusing all his niceness onto her, maybe he's getting what he wants so he draws back on the giving. Either way, the girl is confused because she doesn't know what is happening.

She thinks he must still like her, because he's still around and he was so nice before that maybe he's just busy. Or maybe something is on his mind, perhaps work is stressful, or maybe he's having financial or family trouble?

Meanwhile he blows hot and cold, but the hot and cold starts to become even more inconsistent.

Other guys see this and can immediately tell that the guy is a jerk or isn't interested. But the girl is attached. She developed feelings months ago and is afraid to give up this relationship because she has seen how good he can be.

Then she starts to think it might be something she is doing wrong and blames herself. This starts the destructive path, maybe the couple starts to argue, maybe they don't spend as much time together?

I've been through this so many times. Trying to find nice guys is not so easy. It's very hard because everyone can put on a nice face and pretend. They let people get attached and then they bring out their true selves. Once you are attached it's hard to let go.

• Exactly that's 100% true! The hardest part is always letting go of someone that made you so crazy about them to begin with. That's why it's the little signs that matter most.

• Lol...

Unforutnately, dating has a natural tint to it... Women are more likely to spread their legs for the more attractive one?

• Yea. This is so true! Good take

• Love it! Totally right.

• There is no such thing as a "nice guy" or even a "nice person" i even used to call myself a "good person" but now i realize why people never trusted me when i said that, it's your actions and the things you say that make you who you are and that you stay true to yourself and not let others pressure you, but in the world we live in it's fully of bad "ideals" and peer-pressurs... so... hardy anyone ever stays true to themsevles... and there a bunch of pansy guys walking around these days who beieve everything the media says just like a lot of girls, they think being "pretty" on the outside being being "pretty" on the inside... but quite honestly their personalities suck... and the guys think they are "nice" by assuming every girl likes like the same type of guy then goes balistic when we reject them because we don't lol... hardly a "nice guy" there eh? :P it's your stengh of character, i like intellegent guys who are confident and secure in themselves to make their own choices and that don't listen to others and i will never settle for anything less.

• Yes! That's so true! Some of these guys are so vanilla because they're too afraid to make some noise, most women don't want vanilla they want rock road. I like to think of it as a pile of wood and fire. Guys that always want to please everyone and are too afraid to take risks are just a boring pile of wood. What they need is to be lit on fire. Fire glows and provides you with warmth and comfort when you stand at the right distance, but will burn you if you get close and threaten it. Walk far away and you can still see it glowing far out into the distance, not to be forgotten.

• Finally, there are no such things as nice people, which is why every single human including myself should die, just die

• Yes! exactly! we want a solid foundation, we don't want to have to constantly fight you to get soem kind of real cooperation from you, we need cooperative guys because us girls are very cooperative when it comes to love, we put so much into it to make sure we are communicating to each other, we want a guy who can show us how he feels and we want him to be able to withstand anything that's thrown at us and doesn't easily scare, most guys easily scare. For girls it's genetic to want to be with a guy long-term, we like to bond so if the guy wants to be easily scared away and fights with us even about a simple question then what use is he?

• Thank you so much.

• More from Girls
    7

What Guys Said 43

• Unfortunately, this tired, old political correctness is helping no one. I have provided factual correctness with my myTake on the matter: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a22747-women-need-to-stop-whining-about-nice-guys

• I agree with mostly everything i don't know why the nice guys are afraid to approach and talk and flirt but i will ya working out will boost your confidence and self esteem however I've seen big guy's with reall y attractive girl's so working out is just a plus.

• I think you missed the point that girls date assholes who have too much money to spend on those bitches. When the money flow stops, the bitches fly away.

• Probably the biggest load of drivel I've ever read. Absolute phoney baloney. Women reject good guys and date ass holes simply because women today are stupid and have been brainwashed by feminism, which is why marriage and family has decayed.

• Says the guy who hasn't been on a date for 11 years... Yea you're a REAL nice guy considering you view women as brainwashed idiots, it's unbelieve women don't just swoon at your presence. You're so sexually frustrated that all you do is hate hate hate and you consider yourself a good guy, smh.

• Sex is not just sex when it's done with the right person. Sex is one of the best bonding experiences you can share with the person you love/care for and it's not just sex that brings you closer to that special someone. What happens before and after you finish makes it so much better. There's no better feeling than when you're in each other's arms after you've finished and feel completely satisfied with everything going on around you and you can be free and completely vulnerable with the person you shared that wonderful experience with. It's something completely indescribable and something that you can never buy.

• I was simply making a point that if I wanted to have sex then I could just pay for an escort. You seem to think that you're the cat that's got the cream just because you get a have regular sex with a woman and I don't. Like I said, I can have an escort any time I like and I can choose from a large variety of women and have lots of different pussy. But at this moment in time it doesn't interest me, so stop being such a smug clown.

• Women are just stupid. That's why they end up pregnant and heartbroken all the time. You just have to smile a lot and be charming and women think your great. A guy I grew up with is a triple murderer. Absolute psychopath who'd murder you in the blink of an eye. Guess what, he gets the woman falling over their feet to get at him. Well they did before he went to jail

• My tips for the guys who are still stuck on the nice guy phase is

1. have some self dignity
    2. Learn how to lead & do what you want 3. dont be indecisive
    4. Go after what you want

• i don't agree. it depends on the girl. every girl is different with different personalities.

• Bad boi are fun cuz of constant arguments. Thats what gurls like. Being too nice and u will be broing and ur LUV will be taken for granted. Simple logic 👌🏼

• I'm such a pussy... I don't know or afraid to flirt with the opposite sex I think they might label me as creepy if they are not attracted to me :(... the only reason why I don't have girlfriend since birth

• Just try being more comfortable with joking around with women. That's a good start.

Once you get comfortable with that. You can slip in little flirtatious comments. That's what I do. :)

• She told me when she was free and kept her promise, even though it wasn't twerking but something better 😉

• Ohh okay, I just don't love myself, very frustrating and depressing, I know I shouldn't chase girls but I never ever experienced to be wanted by someone from the opposite sex :( I guess I'll accept the fact that relationship is not for me... I'm described as far more than a loser

• Nice guys don't finish last, boring guys do.

• Why not just say he's a loser and call it a day, jeez, you people are fucking obsessed with this circle jerk, confirmation bias nonsense.

• Also, if it were me, I would buy that snickers, and then eat half of it and toss the other half on the ground and laugh in her face because it's funny, hahahahaha!!!

• ... the way I used to see it, Women date assholes in the HOPES of changing them to nice. To feel like they have made some kind of change or are important, sadly, it rarely works out that way.
    Nice guys who are nice to women tend to be nice to ALL women and thats tantamount to cheating and women don't like that. They want assholes who are only Nice to THEM. fucked up math but it makes sense...

• It's because nice guys can never be rich. The only way to become a CEO or a billionaire is to step on a bunch of people, so a nice guy will never get that Ferrari that every woman loves.

• LOOKS MATTER MOST. You can't get a woman without them unless you're rich or rare unique luck.

• Looks matter most in the initial contact, but if you're at least average and she doesn't find you ugly, if you have a great personality, things in common, have the same sense of humor, and know how to escelate properly, you can attract her. I'm not saying all women are like this, it depends on the woman and what she values most. I personaly know a guy who is barely a 4 (I know it's mean, but he looks like a washed up heroin addict) who has been in a relationship for the past two years with a girl who is a 9. No, he isn't rich or really smart, or crazy funny. They just click really well and their personalities match up so well. I'm sure she know she can do better in the looks department, but he makes her happy and there is real chemistry. So it really depends on the woman and what she values most. Attractiveness is what pulls a woman in, everything else is what keeps her around.

• I'm a nice guy and still flirty and attractive. I'm no 10/10 super hot guy but I've been called handsome and good looking by many girls. I also don't expect someone to date me just cause I'm nice to them. But it does anger me when I talk to a girl and she stops talking to me and goes for some total jerk that ends up leaving her at a bar and then ends up calling me up at 2 am to come pick her up. Or the guy who takes advantage of her and sleeps with her a couple times then dumps her. Then, yeah then I'm think wtf is wrong with you? Although, I end up deciding I wouldn't want to date that person anyhow. I'm not the unattractive usual guy we call the nice guy. I'm the good guy though and guess I've just had bad luck and gone for the wrong girls. Because it's not so much girls not going for "nice guys" but girls who go for total douchebags who just want to sleep with them and then treat them like a piece of shit. I am a little shy but with some confidence too. I flirt but move slow in fear of looking too needy or obsessive. So my problem my problem is probably the opposite. I tend to suppress needy or obsessive thoughts when I like someone. Perhaps too much.

• I think you're just bad at flirting and hitting on women. These asshole guys (I prefer manwhores haha) you're referring to are much better at it than you because face it, they have way more experience. I have two really close friends who are manwhores and I've seen them play women countless times and it's a real eye opener, when you see guys who are truly amazing with women, they're never mean to the girls they're actually very nice to them and treat them with respect. They're just really really good at smooth talking, teasing, and knowing what she's thinking. The only reason you're referring to them as assholes is because they end up leaving the girl for someone else (yes, asshole move) because they have so many options. The point is, they're not labeled as assholes until they leave the girl. A nice guy can use their exact game and still be considered nice if he doesn't dump the girl after he's hooked up with her a couple of times. I hope that makes sense.

• It could be possible she doesn't even know you're interested.

I read about a study that men usually know when a woman likes them or not, while ego-centric men believe more women like them than the women actually do.

Women, however, tend to assume the man isn't interested.

And I know for myself, I do that too. I realize now... my first love was probably in love with me too. But we never dated, because he never made a move. And I never believed he actually liked me because he was so hot and cold with his actions, so I backed off.

• A question "nice guys" should ask themselves is "if I was a girl, would I date me?"

• Yes!!! That's without a doubt one of the truist things out there.

• Fantastic take! Glad you escaped "niceguyland"

• Thanks man! Only took me being friendzoned for two years haha, it was 100% worth it though, I learned so much and because of it I know I understand women better than most guys because of the struggle. It's gotten to the point where getting dates is easy, I never thought I'd be where I am!

• I think the turning point came for me when I decided: #1 to be courageous enough to flirt a little #2 not be afraid to say no (or state my opinion) #3 stopped looking for success or as they call it not being outcome-dependent for my happiness #4 being more interested in how they felt and how I could relate to them than in my own sense of satisfaction at that moment #5 and the most important: not taking all this personally as if there was a conspiracy that the Universe required my failure to keep running correctly!

• #4 is my problem. Oh well...

• Nice guy here with flirt lack, it's hard for me to say some nice words as I think myself as a creep then.

Other than that I know just being nice is not bringing you anywhere but certainly I am not a buttlicker (which also could make me stop showing interest) and when a girl doesn't seem that she is interested in me I say babay (maybe one more try ok :) ).

I guess I might try flirting on that last girl I am looking for, at least she could be a good test subject cause if she creeps out there's bigger fish out there

• Don't worry about creeping girl's out, you'd have to say something ridiculous and inappropriate to do so. Here's some advice I wish I knew when I was younger. Lets face it, almost all of the women you were interested in, you knew you were interested from the very beginning. It's rare to know someone for a long time then suddenly thinking "I like her". That only happens if siad person has changed. So first thing is first, show your interest from the very beginning. Start with small compliments, girls go absolutely craaazy over compliments. She said something funny? Tell her that you think she's funny. Do you like her dress? Tell her you like her dress. Does she seem happy and energetic that day or when she's around you? Tell her she's a great person. Most importantly give ger GENUINE compliments, girls know the moment you give a bs compliment and that's when they think you're creepy. Next is talk about other girls that you find atractive, I know that sounds counterintuitive but it

• As soon as I get into the relationship/dating I become like that lol. That's some good realistic advice I can even approve by old observations.

Could that be the reason why there are boys who only want sex from girls? I mean I already think about not being myself like that. My personality defines of a hidden treasure but I will try it, I like experimenting. (I can't be a player lol, I suck at telling girls I don't find stunning that they look good)

• Be doin dat, just don't have the brain to properly reply you. Hard day time to play skyrim

• Well, maybe I got my answer why I was unsuccessful in the long run.

• You're still young :), they'll be plenty of more opportunities and you will fail again (if you don't it means you aren't trying). Just concentrate on improving.

• Okay... I will try

• More from Guys
    23