What's wrong with being average?

What's wrong with being average?

I commented on a post recently. It was one of those how-do-I-look things and I responded as I usually do. Some of those things are annoying, of course, like the guys wearing sunglasses in every photo 'cause they're obviously cooler that a polar bear's ass. But some of those posts are girls who are upset because they had an argument with their boyfriend and he told her something stupid like "you're fat and ugly," so of course they want some reassurance that they are not really fat and ugly.

So I told her "Oh, he is an idiot of the highest order! Honestly, I think you are a 7.5/10, but if you were my girlfriend. the number would jump to 8.5/10!" That was a very honest response. She is a cute girl . . . and my girlfriend looks prettier to me than she does to others, so it was all honest.

Anyway, another G@Ger - let's use a fictitous username like IAmAnIdiot - responded to my opinion and said, "SHE IS FAT." Well, since it was in all caps, I knew he was quite serious. Why do people enjoy being mean? Human nature never changes.

Another user - let's call him AlsoAnIdiot - posted an opinion and asked, "Question is why was he dating you if you're just average?" Well, this girl was actually cute; she wasn't drop-dead-gorgeous-needs-an-armed-guard-at-all-times, but she wasn't average. But the comment restarted my brain and I asked myself, "What if she was 'just average?' What would be so bad with that?"

I tried explaining that if the only people who dated were the ones who were above average, more than 50% of the population would not date and the human race would start shrinking. Howeve, true to his username, AlsoAnIdiot failed to grasp this concept and replied, "He must've found her attractive enough to date. So either she was attractive at the time and became ugly later on or the guy was desperate so he went for any girl that would take him."

I want to celebrate the concept of average. Average means not ugly, not beautiful; not stupid, not genius; not too short, not too tall. The world is powered by these average people. They go to work, do their jobs well, have fun with their friends, get married and remain faithful, don't demand attention, and are very dependable.

I am above average in some ways but very average in other ways. Ladies don't turn to look at me when I walk into a room. I'm not the life of the party. But I am Mr. Dependable, Mr. Faithful, and Mr. Devoted Partner.

My current girlfriend looks average to others but she is beautiful to me, and she is a wonderful girlfriend. I could chase after beautiful women (if I was not already in a relationship) . . . and I am not intimidated by them . . . but there are so many other things that are important. I could fall for the Hollywood notion that only beautiful people have beautiful lives but I am not a sheep, I won't be told what to think and how to act. I am chasing after average women and I am happy.

When I hold my girlfriend in my arms as we lay in bed at night, I don't feel that I am holding "average." I am holding a woman who is very special, who has some wonderful qualities, who I think is beautiful, and who I hope will be with me the rest of my life.

I highly recommend that you go chase after an average partner. It may result in the best catch of your life!

OlderAndWiser is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 14

• What a sweet take! Very insightful too. I usually fall for guys others see as 'unattractive'. We all look at things in a different way and that is one of the things that make life interesting.

• Yay for average!

I like being average, actually.

I never get why people want to be 10's or whatever. Like... there are billions and billions of people on the planet. We can't all be above average.

Average is average for a reason and obviously average does okay because average people continue to reproduce just fine lol

• I'm very happy to be average ^_^ I cannot stand guy that think I'm super special and beautiful. I need guy to see that I'm just average girl :)

• I completely agree. You restore my faith. Need more MEN like you, not those boys.
    Anyways, I'm at peice with averageness x3

• With my specific averageness lol

• You don't really look very average to me but it is always nice to see girls who don't think they're the hottest thing on the planet. That's a very attractive quality.

• Oh no I'm rock bottom lol
      I agree. I mean, I can't stand people who think they're Gods gift of lust. Thank you very much for your kind words :)

• Awesome take. I have read somewhere that majority of the humans are average looks wise, with a very few below and above them! So why hate the majority !

• I know this girl in her mid twenties whom none of the other "competitive " females find a threat because they think of her as a plain Jane. There is just something about her that makes her likable as a friend and the guys really like her. She is "Miss Average" and does better than a lot of them!

• I think average is great. If you're charismatic it's even better than a beautiful man/woman without charism

• I love this take. Well done!!

• proud to be average

• Being an a average looking girl is easier then being an average looking guy.

• @Touglyforfemales justin bieber is not average looking and don't yell.

• No shit sherlock. Why do you think I mentioned him. Women don't date average looking guys and its not me generlazing its the truth. Oh let me see if I can find someone who doesn't yell.

• Such a good take! Thanks so much for the way that you answered this girl's question, and the way that you defended her. If is was in her shoes, you would have been somewhat of a hero to me! I love that you were honest when giving your opinion of her, and not just saying she looks nice to make her feel better... and I'm glad you defended her over the comments that were idiotic.

• I just finished watching Sherlock, so here's a comparison:

John Watson is (technically above but close to) average. He's very sweet and a dependable, wonderful man in many ways. He's attractive but not amazingly handsome, and quite intelligent but not a genius. (Okay, he's a doctor, so he's above average intelligence, but he seems to be what you're talking about).

While many people admire Sherlock Holmes, it seems that the spectrum of average-and-mostly-average tend to lead more contented lives in many ways.

• This was a sweet take... thanks for sharing. I never really thought about it, we don't really celebrate average enough. I think modern society has a heavy emphasis on the above average-beautiful... so average we may be but it's ingrained in most of us to want more so we may forget to accept what we are or accept it in disappointment due to comparison. A sizable chunk of dudes on this site are just so unpleasantly bitter. I want to have some sympathy having it rough, but there's no need to bring others down with them.

• :) awesome take you have here!

• I think both IAmAnIdiot's never actually had girlfriends and The Internet is their source of information.

• There are many bitter guys on this site, and it seems that they would rather relish in their self-righteous indignation than find a way to connect with the opposite sex. It is very sad that people can become so disconnected.

• @Touglyforfemales He was not the one complaining about his appearance.

• No but maybe next time some people should worry about themselves.

What Guys Said 18

• Ah well, the difference between average and beautiful with females is mostly make-up, expensive hair style, expensive clothes, having spare time to work out...

• The problem with average is that it's just above ugly. There really is no excitement.
    Average people are sheep, the above average are the shepherds while the ugly are the gate used to close the pen. Yes each has a role in society but to accept average is to lower yourself to that level. It shows that you're not good enough for something great and that you're just willing to settle.

• There is nothing wrong with aspiring to be the best that you can be, but there are some things that we cannot change. A girl with an "average" appearance can only do so much with what she's got. An adult male with a 5 1/4" penis can't make it bigger. Everybody can't be a 9/10.

• @Touglyforfemales Perhaps you are right. Women are all sick bitches and you would be better off never going near them. If you follow that course, you can periodically whine and get some sympathy from someone, and that is an adequate substitute for female companionship, right?

• Like I said we all can't be born good looking. The average looking girl will still have it easier then the average looking guy. Why can't no one admit that? And don't give or tell me some bullshit how wrong I am.

• To me I couldn't date what I see is average, and I honestly am turned off by the slightest bit of pudge in a girl, this comes from a military family and how much we emphasise working out and jogging and we detest how fat embracing our society has become. Anyway I always held to the idea 'never tell a girl she's beautiful if she doesn't look that way' sounds harsh but looks are a huge factor and its natural, numbering I don't exactly like as it is somewhat subjective but I'd say I typically go for 7-8 range looking girls, to me slender and s pretty face is all they need however that typically puts them in the 'attractive' category to most anyway, to me though romance is a very serious thing and something that I've never understood why others view average as acceptable

• How much of the world do you think is average?

• There is some subjectivity one size does not fit all but it fits most, there was a few girls I worked with who other guys said had perfect butts or breasts, but to me even the slight excess weight was a near no go so I still say everyone should go for what they find attractive, and yes if that's how you take it, I'd rather be alone than with a plain girl who I didn't care for as more than a friend, I'm no stud guy myself I even have to shave my head bald from something called TE, but my face and eyes get compliments a lot and Id say I'm a 6-7, either way even if I was dreadful looking Id rather be the guy with 1,000 failures and 1 truly great success than 1,000 average accomplishments so to speak. I'd treat a girl truly remarkable, so she has to be herself. You may take that as bad but I'm just giving you un shy honedty about something in passionate about

• As for a girl not aging well it depends. Given how much I jog and am active I go for girls who typically are as well so I wouldn't be concerned about her gaining weight much and that'd be the only real dealbreaker once were together I can think of, natural aging and creases etc or minor weight after a child is fine.

• Let's make an 'Average Day'. Let's make it on Monday.

• Ha I'm 5'6 so I'm seen as below average I have an average face though I guess ha

• Average looks will get you an average girl and average job
    Bye!

• 0|1
  • Great take indeed. From what I've seen from the people I know you're more likely to find something special if you're just average or if you're a 10 to one person but just average to others.

• Perhaps nothing wrong, but you know, nothing special either, just average.

Imagine, which would you rather be, a golden eagle or a crow?

Or, which would you rather be, a lion or a bobcat?

• average works, that's why it's so common. all the mutations, exceptions, rarities, differences, etc... eventually are naturally neglected.

• Well I'm ugly so I wouldn't know
    What average is or feels like.

• Post a picture of yourself

• @RandomPerson1324 Nope did it before was told I wasn't ugly but when I asked those women if they were ever date me? All gave me excuses like I'm not their type or I'm probably only good looking in pics. Maybe one day I will.

• You are way too old to be talking like this...

• For a girl to be average is fine. Many guys like them but for a guy to be average isn't that great. Not as many girls like average guys.

• nothing wrong with ambition.

• This is good. Compliments to the o. p here.

• I agree with you. Moreso, I think that what is average for one person may actually be far above average for another. A personal example is that I seem to be attracted to girls most people find average or even below average. But they really look good to me.

• When it comes to looks, it's all about being satisfying to ME, not everyone else's standards.

• "I tried explaining that if the only people who dated were the ones who were above average, more than 50% of the population would not date and the human race would start shrinking."

Apparently only 80% of women and 40% of men throughout human genetic history have left descendants.

tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/.../?_r=0

So being an average guy is not looking so good.

• The NY Times does not cite the source for the claim that only 40% of men have left descendants but, assuming that the statement is valid, I suspect that it is based largely on very old historical data and not on current trends. Additionally, that argument speaks only to the men who reproduced and not the number who dated and perhaps had sexual relationships but left no children.

You certainly wouldn't use historical data like this to talk about the current life expectancy of women, since the number of women who die as a result of childbirth is drastically less than it was 100 or 200 years ago. It is interesting information, but the relevance to today's social patterns is questionable.

• Celebrating average! *Cheers with an 'average' beer*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNAkPsjAEk