5 Reasons You Shouldn't Date Someone from Your Class

I know this is isn't something any one might take seriously, after all chances are some of you reading this probably have a crush on someone in your class, and if you had a chance to date them why the hell wouldn't you. However if you think about it, dating someone in real life that sits next to you every day isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Though there are a few perks to making out with your classmate--you get someone as a study buddy, passing notes in class when it gets boring-- it often tends to get pretty messy. Perhaps you should heed these words of warning before you decide to exchange bodily with fluids with that hot guy in Biology class.
After all you can't just drop out of class if things get awry.

Seeing them everyday in class

Think about this, if your in school you'll basically be next to them most of the time, even if you don't want to. I'm sure spending time with them is probably the best thing in your life right now but literally spending a quarter of your day together in school isn't exactly exactly what constitutes as having a good time. After all you don’t want to hang out with your significant other all the time.

Worrying about your appearance

Most people don't really bother about their looks or appearance when in school, after all school isn't a venue you take your date to but with your significant other there you can't help but feel like you have to put some conscientious effort into your appearance.

Dealing with academics and feelings

So a teacher asks you a question and you fail to answer it because you forgot to read that chapter the previous the night, now normally depending on your personality you'd either just brush it off or probably be slightly embarassed, but when your crush is watching with the rest of the class you just end up feeling silly.

Teasing and Gossiping

Not only will your classmates tease you mercilessly, it's especially mortifying if they decide to do so in front of a teacher but you'll probably be the hot topic of the day for weeks to come, not to mention the inappropriate jokes and questions and general tom foolery. And god forbid if your teachers find out about it, you'll probably have to avoid eye contact with them for the rest of the year.

Awkwardness and Break ups

Most young couples can barely be together without groping each other to death, so when your in class or the cafeteria you might not know how to act around each other. Not to mention being that close in a public setting for hours long at a time can make for an extremely awkward situation.
What's even worse is if things don't work out - you can't avoid each other. You'll still have to attend classes everyday and I don't think I need to tell you how exes usually tend to act around each other making things even more awkward than usual.

IamNuts is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• Good point, anything that interfers with your studies has to go!

• Problem is, the people in your class, if attractive, make the easiest dating prospects. You see them every class period, you have ten built in discussion openers, you don't have to go for the number or a date close immediately...

• Great take. I do agree mostly. When I was in Uni I would introduce myself and talk to different people. I would get contacts and hang out with them later, like at a house party or something. I didn't really date anyone from a class from what I recall however.

• I currently like this guy on my university course. The thing is we are in ALL classes together including tutorials , workshops and seminars you name it. So basically I see him everyday:/

• @Ellie263 lol well damn, that could either really work out or not

• I know mate -.- that's why I'm soo reluctant in even showing him I like him because I see the guy waaaaaaay too much. It doesn't help we have 23 contact hours a week lol

• I've dated 4 girls in my class, they were all friends. It wasn't bad to be honest, I didn't have a problem, and I actually did better in school.
    The only problem came when they all joined against me xD

• I don't give a fuck. I will approach women anywhere, including class and at work!

What is up with this idea of convincing people not to approach women they have "frequent unplanned interaction" with? Those people are the most likely to date because they observe each other enough to develop a crush!

So stupid.

• They aren't saying not to... they are saying it'd be awkward as fuck in those situations and why.

• Well, if you're in this situation I'm guessing you're pretty young so there isn't any hurry.

• In my opinion class is fine but at work is very risky. You better be willing to lose your job. A lot of things can go wrong if you date co workers. Take it from experience.

• Well sometimes seeing them every day isn't s problem; I had classmates in high school who started dating in 10th grade and they are married now, they have been married for about 3 years now. I think this shouldn't be taken as universal. But you do need two mature people for a mature relationship.

• The appearance thing and break up thing makes a lot of sense, but everything else is just silly and it seems like your insecure because you've been in that situation and you've had a bad experience with it.

• That's a great Take indeed, so true...

• Srry love but I don't fully agree on this
    For me is to date someone from your class or around your class

• 1. no problem with this when i like someone.
    2. no problem I keep up with my appearances regardless.
    3. no problem, if my crush is watching ill will be trying to impress her
    4. how do they know i have a crush on her? I don't talk about my feeling so nobody will know beside her (when I decide to tell her and ask her out)
    5. YOLO , all relationship end in break up, divorce, or death. So what? People still date each other. Just have fun and enjoy the moment.

Short version : Don't give a fuck. I date anyone that i'm interested in, anywhere!

• Yeah but your not going to be in a class together forever so just date someone from your own class eventually you guys will hang out outside of class or the class will be over totally worth it if I wouldn't have i would have not met my beautiful girlfriend and we are totally comfortable and happy with eachother

• That's why you date after the semester is over and just talk/flirt in class

• The more girls i dated in my class the more I got nailing!

• Agreed. Same reason you wouldn't date anyone from work either. I've had old coworkers date and when they broke up and still worked together, it was very awkward and made it hard for shit to get done. The boss picked up on it too and was pissed.

But regarding the topic, most of the girls I dated or hooked up with in college were from outside of class because seeing someone every day that you had a one night stand with is awkward.

• If we're talking about high school, chances are that the first few bf/gf that people will have are from their own class. I took it as a learning experience not expecting it to last. When you are young you're limited in availability and maturity. Since that is true the expectation in any kind quasi-romantic (because get real you barely understand intimacy at that age anyway) ought to be an exploration of what you want or need from that kind of relationship nothing more. That said some of the best relationships between people start at a young age (and are above anyone's relationship dogma).

Awkward as you put it is something you fixate on that you ought not to as it appears to me your blowing it out of proportions and certainly are in some sense paranoid and assumptive.

As far as teasing or gossip that exist at any age or in any setting.

When it comes to academics some people can handle a dynamic social life and school work no problem. It's about priorities if someone wants to be in a relationship and maintain their grades they have to set aside time for both if that means they can only be in 1 club and a sport instead of 3 clubs and 2 sports, It isn't a large issue unless they are trying to get into an Ivy league school.

Appearance in this article has no substance.

Though you may end up seeing them in school it ought not to change your life in a negative especially since chances are they won't be in more than one or 2 of your classes and it isn't the end of the world to have a bit of distraction in school if the trade off is being more well rounded in your relationships as you get older

I had 3 gfs in hs they were only mildly distracting in class (people get used to "the system"). They taught me a lot about myself and gave a better understanding of women in terms of sensitivities and how good they can make me feel.

If you are talking about college, really?, for some people who end up being workaholics it's the only real chance they have at finding someone till they are settled in life around age 32 (prolly not having kids at that point) so the choice your giving them is worry about petty things or have children.

• You share like...3-6 months and then you'll never see each other again. If it was workplace, then I would better understand. But... you don't have to sit *next* to them. This should be more like "5 negatives to dating someone in your class" Not "shouldn't".

• Agree with this!

• I don't even need 5 reasons all I need is one. 1. They are all either married, been married, or not attractive to me by now.

• So it'll basically be how it is right now (study buddy and seeing each other in class everyday etc.) but with sex and love?

Sign me up.

• Cool take :) I saw a lot of that in highschool and it was funny to watchlol especially when teacher doesn't know they broke up and puts them in group project "I know y'all like working together" ;)

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 6

• This is why I don't even want to date anyone in my school. And also because high school boys are immature.

• The biggest thing is the last part, if I get hurt by them, I couldn't stand seeing them everyday.

• I agree, nice take 👍

• Yea this is well worded. I never planned on going out with someone at school, but I eventually fell into its trap. We went out for three months, and I broke it off. What was even more awkward was that straight after our breakup, he started going after two different girls, one as the back up for the other and vice versa. So seeing those girls at school was super duper awkward (they were in the year below us thankfully). Even WORSE, now he has a girlfriend (not one of the two lol) and she moved schools to be with him. So now I see them a lot, and I'm still single.

• I agree! People never seem to get it though and I just sit back and watch the disaster happen.
    It happens in my college classes but hardly last Unless maybe it's towards the end of the semester.

Guys think I'm mean for not giving them a try but I tell them why it's not a good idea and maybe til the end of the semester it could work. They don't wanna seem to wait though

• I agree with you😊

• Ehh I can't agree with the second one as it's just in my nature to always be presentable. I hold myself to a certain standard and I would never be caught out and about without looking polished school or not. Now that I think about it I disagree with all of this. lol Maybe I'm too mature to worry about this. This sounds like a middle school relationship tbh. Plus I'd never have to juggle feelings and academics as academics come first regardless. I don't take honors classes for nothing. :)