Your Online Dating Profile Sucks!

I haven't used online dating as often I used to, but when I do, there's some things I see constantly that discourage me from ever contacting a lady. Particularly, the lack of innovation disappoints me when a person describes their interests. So here's a list of frequently seen interests which are quite underwhelming:

1. You like food

No shit, so does my cat. Every living thing needs to food to survive. Therefore, you raving about your love for food is as special as me describing how much I love to breathe. What's impressive is being skilled at making food; it's impressive if you own a restaurant, to give some examples. I knew you liked food before I saw your profile.

Your Online Dating Profile Sucks

2. You like to travel

I hope. The only guy I knew that didn't like to travel was Stoop Kid, from Hey Arnold!, and he was fictional. If you didn't like to go on vacations, then I would question your sanity as a human being. The only thing I think when I see that a girl likes to travel is, "I have expensive hobbies," which isn't necessarily fair, but raving about travel catalyzes my gut to feel that way anyways.

3. You like music/movies

Duh. I've never heard anyone go into a night club and be like, "ew, there's music here, we should leave;" or when asked to go to a movie say, "no, thanks for the offer, but I don't watch movies." We know you like entertainment; it's implied by the fact that you're human.

4. You want to have sex (guys)

I don't frequent men's profiles on online dating sites since I exclusively like the ladies. However, if it's anything like GAG, I imagine that some men post some innappropriate sexual content on them. Everyone knows guys want to have sex. Statistics of porn viewership support this fact. Women know that too. They get creepy stares and messages on a regular basis. Therefore, we should let them try and figure out just how much we like sex instead of putting all of our cards on the table or scaring them off with our creepiness.

5. You want a relationship (girls)

I do frequent ladies profiles though, and a lot of them have a spiel describing their standards, in detail. Some even write a description of their ideal guy (or tell you not to talk to them if you meet certain criteria). When most guys see an exhaustive list like that they don't think, "wow, she really knows what she wants." They probably think, "this girl seems unreasonable and entitled." In fact, such spiels likely do more to repel your ideal man than attract him.

Don't be generic, market yourself like corporate America during the holiday season. I imagine your solicitations will be much better received. Happy holidays!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

• I disagree with this whole thing. I see no problem in people listing these things.

#1 - If someone mentions they like food I automatically believe they are a foodie and enjoy trying new foods. Believe it or not there are people who don't like trying new foods.

#2- Expensive hobby? Anyone who says this makes me think they're trying to find an excuse to just stay home. When I did online dating I purposely looked for guys who enjoy traveling as much as I do because I don't want to be with someone who is content watching the world from their living room versus getting out their and experiencing it for themselves.

#3- Once again not everyone enjoys certain types of entertainment. The only issue I would find with this is if they aren't specific since it's a general statement. Obviously everyone has a preference in music and movie genres. I love music as well but I primarily listen to house music and punk rock. I love movies but I mainly watch horror, comedies, and action movies. I remember reading a guys profile and him mentioning that he only listens to top 40 mainstream music. That's cool but obviously we would have issues when I'm playing my music. I need to be with someone who either likes or respects my choice in music.

#4- I respect guys more who are upfront about what they want rather then hiding it. If a guy purely wants sex then I know to stay away. If he is expecting sex after a certain amount of time then that is also a no. It helps save both our times from being wasted.

#5- Nothing wrong with this unless it's super detailed (i. e. Don't contact unless your name starts with a "D" and you have blue eyes and blonde hair). When dating you learn what you like and don't like. This carries on to when you look for your next SO. So of course you want to avoid running into the same person. They only bad thing about being overly descriptive of what you want is that you basically gave a guide book to a guy who's aim is to get you, bed you, and then dump you. So you have to be careful about that. Same can be said about guys in a different manner.

• My profile normally starts off like this:
    "IF YOU F****ERS ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP, DON'T YOU DARE COME TO ME! If I don't wanna give you my number or facebook, take it and stop asking!"

Something like that :P

• and usually I go right past those type. that is understood. Men know that women get up to 75% bullshit emails online. Putting that down just turns most of us off.

• Translation: "I was with a guy that cheated on me, or I was a guy's side chick, and now I'm going to take out my frustrations on you!"

Oh boy sounds fun, let me message her ASAP

• Lol, these guys commenting like you would even want a guy like them.

• I am guilty of putting "I like to travel" down. It's true, though. My family is nomadic, growing up military we moved every 2 years. That's all I know, that's been my whole life. So now that I live on my own, I still enjoy traveling. I save up money and do weekend trips somewhere; not super exotic maybe but I do have this sense of adventure and enjoy exploration.

• #1 made me laugh, btw!

• You don't need to feel guilty about putting that down because there are people who don't like traveling, going out to events, or trying new things.

• i disagree., if sex is really important he should say so.

if she nows what she wants right it.

people should scare away people who are not up to dealing with them.

everyone figures out how to crafty lie.. by the time you meet its not the person you're expecting. i think triple honesty is good and people should just deal with it. instead of wasting time trying to feel delicate.

• No matter what I write the guys will swipe right. Literally. If I'm shy, I'm sweet, if I'm a cunt, I'm honest. All you need for online dating as a girl is a pretty face. Just the way it is

• It's only slightly less so for guys. It's just that what is considered a pretty guy is much, much less common.

• online dating sucks in general lol. im never doing that again

• Haha nice take 👍

• Anyone can lie and easily fake a profile😉

• Sure, but why do it? If you actually met the person you will find out the real deal soon enough.

• well i guess thee things watching in other's profile is really fun

• You'd be surprised how many people geniunly don't like to travel. Don't assume from yourself to others

And I agree some girls have ridiculously long lists of standards on their profiles, but you know when you want a relationship and you get 10 messages like "wanna hook up" or "u horny?" a day, I don't think mentioning you're looking for commitment is a bad idea

And you forgot one, the " looking for a nice girl/guy" or "Been hurt a lot before" or "are there no good men/women left?" ...
    You're bitter and sad, no one cares

• I agree completely with, "are there no good men/women left?". This shows they are having huge issues with the opposite gender that they need to resolve before dating.

• @schnipdip Yeah.

Things win for me

• Traveling does nothing for me. Id rather spend that money improving my life or going to events.

• Hahaha awesome take, really funny and very true. Interesting is much more exciting then everyday boring. I hate small talk so I always make it interesting, I'd rather be called werid then boring.

What Guys Said 22

• I agree with all of your points, especially the one about travel. If I see a profile with a picture of a woman standing in front of the Eiffel Tower, I assume "high maintenance" and go on to the next profile.

• I primarily agree with the fifth one! While you should specify that you're not interested in flings, and if flings are all you're looking for then you are looking for it in the bad place; but when they specify "the ideal guy is this, this, this, this and this; and what I want in a man is this, this, this" then I think "wow what a sexist stuck-up arrogant entitled b***h"

• But what if I really do like music and movies? I mean, I'd rather truthfully post the things I like than come up with an elaborate clickbait profile just to lure someone in only to disappoint them later on.

• Which movies do you like? How do you appreciate music? Most people enjoy movies and music, but what can your joy for movies and music tell me about your personality? If you can answer that question, it's all good.

• Well I didn't meant to imply that I would simply post "I like movies" and "I like music". Of course not. I'd specify.

• Simply when you specify the type of music like for instance "I like country music" you are indirectly helping the other person to know about your preferences in order to find the perfect match.
      Its also considred as a backward correspondence-learning process in which we avoid all these long boring talks that involves binary questions and answers (somehow it sounds like police interrogation but inside a restaurant)

• IF YOU WANT TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES THEN LOOK AT THE PICTURE THAT THEY LIKE OF THEMSELVES MOST AND FIND A PHOTO OF YOU THAT LOOKS AS CLOSE FACIALLY TO THEIR DIMENSIONS and then post that.
    OR MAKE A PHOTO COPYING THEIR FACIAL EXPRESSIONS. IF THEIR EYEBROS LOOK A CERTAIN WAY AND THEIR FACE IS TURNED A CERTAIN WAY TURN YOUR FACE THE EXACT SAME WAY AND MAKE THE SAME EYEBROW. THE PERSON WILL SEE THEMSELVES IN YOU AND IT WILL GREATLY INCREASE YOUR CHANCES

YOUR WELCOME.

• IN OTHER WORDS YOU MIRROR THEM WITH YOUR PHOTOS

• The girl with the knife though!

• I've been on many dating sites. Unfortunately, the only way for the ladies to contact me is to either lie or don't say anything at all because if I tell the truth, I usually get no responses.

• Telling the truth about what gets you no responses?

• @bunsnrose82 Whatever. Politics, homosexuality, tattoos... big things. It's subjects you would never usually bring up so soon, BUT if it's things you 2 would never agree on, odds ore you would end up breaking up because of it later.

• I wouldn't necessarily say I got no responses though, but none compared to others. I literally got NO real responses. Not like there were girls I really liked anyways on those sites.

• — "Your Online Dating Profile Sucks!"

Too bad I don't actually have a dating profile.

— "If you didn't like to go on vacations, then I would question your sanity as a human being."

Not everyone thinks like this. I like travelling, but I don't like long voyages. I'd rather stay home during a vacation and have fun than be on the road for five days to be somewhere for like a week. And some people just prefer spending their free time where they live. Nothing wrong with that. That doesn't make you insane.

— "I've never heard anyone go into a night club and be like, "ew, there's music here, we should leave;" or when asked to go to a movie say, "no, thanks for the offer, but I don't watch movies.""

Yes, but this isn't about just generally enjoying something. For some people music is just something casual, for others their lives revolve around it. This is part of their personality and this is something that they should mention.
    And about the meme: everyone has different tastes. I'm not saying I like Flo Rida, but their taste in music isn't worth any less because they like his stuff.

— "You want to have sex (guys)"

Oh, come on. Women want sex just as much as men.

— "Everyone knows guys want to have sex."

So do girls.

— "You want a relationship (girls)"

Oh, don't men want a relationship now?

• Oh man. I can't count the number of profiles I've seen that all say the same thing. It's bad enough they all look more or less like the same face/body types over and over again, but their interests are all the same too. Everybody likes food and travel. Everybody likes Netflix. Everybody likes music, and it is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the same handful of genres: country, edm/dubstep, or rap - in other words, stuff I couldn't be less interested in. It's seriously the same personality types over and over and over: yuppies/bar scene types/sports fans, hipsters/alternative people, stoners, geeky types (and not particularly attractive or interesting ones either). It's the same archetypes over and over and over. There's never anyone refreshing, never anyone who would really stand out.

• There's never anyone on there that I actually WANT to contact. I'd only ever be contacting them because all the ones that I actually want to date are taken.

• I try not to get into the habit of blaming women for my dating predicament. I feel like it's mostly my fault for not getting myself together when I should have, building up a solid identity ahead of time and getting good at some things, having a more interesting personality to show for myself like they have.

• Yeah that's usually the way it goes. The ones I've liked and could see myself dating lost interest and vice versa. It's like I gotta be self conscious so I don't come off as overly interested.

I don't wanna blame women either but I do get sick of going on all these dates that go seemingly well where the girl will flirt with me, get touchy feely, and suggest meeting up again, only for them to flake. Really fucks with my head.

• For a woman "I am independent"

Good, you don't need me around then.

• Too bad none of this actually helps because I'm still certainly not getting any results.

• I don't even try dating sites. So much bullsh*t in most of the profiles. Hard to tell who is being truthful and who isn't.

• Not only that, even if you do get dates, you could have a girl throw herself at you on the first date or two and then toss you aside like a sack of garbage like nothing happened the next day.

• It doesn't suk when you tall athletic jacked bro. Js

• My dating profiles, all of them, declare anyone who elects to talk to me has something seriously wrong with them. I say horrible things about myself on purpose. I tell the raw truth. I still get matches. ._.

• Another annoying thing women do (and probably men) is they have pictures but they're only from the neck up. Sure fat people do this, but I've seen skinny people do it as well and they don't even seem to realize they posted 6 pictures all from the same angle of their head

• One thing I have noticed is that men tend to put our minimum requirements of what we want in a partner. We are typically not willing to settle for less. Women on the other hand describe their dream guy, but are willing to settle for much less. Unless she specifically posts that she is not willing to settle for less. So men post requirements, but women are posting dreams. This makes women seem far more picky in the eyes of men, because we assume they are also posting their minimum requirements as well. I think a lot of the complaining guys have about women having unrealistic expectations, comes from this misunderstanding with online profiles.

• Very well said and I completely agree with you.

• It sounds reasonable, but no women have upvoted the concept, so I have doubts.

• And then they complain about how they can't find anyone. For me, there's no such thing as a dream girl or perfect girl. I don't expect a girl to like the same exact things as me anyway, it'd be boring.

• Not to be rude but anyone that needs online dating is not exactly top drawer.

• What an assinine comment. Where do you go to find someone? A bar? nobody goes to a club to find anything other then a one night stand. Church? a bunch of fucked up whack jobs? I work from home and in a job where I cannot socialize with anyone even if I was at the office, so no joy there. For many people there are no other options.
      Online dating, when done right, is an excellent process and cuts down on a ton of needless dates. If both tell the truth, you already know your compatable. You just need to see if you click...

• For the past seven months, I have been dating a woman who is a retired judge. I met her online. I am an actively practicing attorney. Your statement reflects your ignorance about this subject.

• Well have you slip her the beef Wellington yet my legal amigo!

• There was a study done in online dating when it comes to money by a male gager.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a23612-overcoming-the-odds-how-a-man-s-income-can-counteract-womens-racial

It showed that whites were on top in dating and for a minority such as a black, or Asian man to get the same amount of attention as a white candidate that they would have had to make well over 100k+ more dollars than their white male counterpart.

• Lol! I'm not surprised. I shut down OKCupid and PoF because the discrimination looked pretty blatant once I looked at the results of my inbox. For every 10, thoughtful, personalized, non-sexual messages I would send a white woman, maybe 1 would get responded to, if that. Usually, the response would be short. On the other hand, I'd say 9/10 of messages sent to black women were responded to. Even if I was shut down, I at least had a chance to converse. That's why I only mess with Tinder and Hinge now, I don't like taking so many shots in the dark, wasting my time.

• It's pretty obvious that money for women occupies at least %50 of relationship success recipe

• My profile is extremely generic and bland. But my photos say everything. I have pictures of me doing the things im interested in - of my accomplishments - and of things I'm passionate about. When a woman is browsing a ton of profiles I think the pictures can do more than an 'about me' section. I say 'if you're interested send me a message or a wink' and if I get either and am interested I will message them back. I haven't had to do any browsing on my own.

I've tried writing a great profile and didn't have as much luck

• I feel like I've gotten more luck on tinder with little info as possible and only a few pictures as opposed to other dating sites where I have more pictures and more info about me.

• @bloodmountain1990 I know the feeling, same thing on match - they seem really interested and then out of the blue flake on you. I have a girlfriend of 5 months now from match so it worked out in the end. All I can say is just keep trying - you will fail dozens of times but eventually find a good one

• @Dan2287 Good for you man. For some people it does work out but I think the biggest problem with dating sites is the shoppers mentality it creates. I'm guilty of it as well but a lot of times you can connect with someone but you keep on looking as the next best thing could be around the corner.

Or you felt you connected with your date and you think they're interested but then they flake/ghost on you for someone else they found better. This is why I don't take online dating seriously and play it by ear.

• If you're a man, your online dating profile will always suck. The most you can do is make it suck less.

• You know what's funny. Most of the times the girl has sent the first message to me, it has only been hey or hi. Very few times have their first messages been something to related to what's on my profile or a common interest.

• I love food. However, I only like good food. There are a ton of bad tasting food around, for example: average fast food. I can cook and I do own a restaurant. I know my meat. Bad tasting meat is horrible.

I don't like to travel. Okay, I do but not that much. In fact I travelled because someone took me along and I ignored most of the sights. I prefer gaming or maybe reading a book. Introvert and all that.

Music for and movies. I only like a specific type of music not random fillers and I don't watch movies or TV.

• This is my point, you specify, which is good. Some people keep it so vague.

• More from Guys
    2