The Valentine's Day Conspiracy

I'm assuming most of us here on G@G are single at the moment, or are going through a rough patch right now. Although, that hasn't stopped us from being dry and skeptical about the Big V.

Now for the most part I actually agree that and believe that Valentines day is actually a revenue day for most of the companies which cater cards, flowers, dining restraunts, chocolates, a few inns, clothing stores, gift shops, cake bakerys, champagne and wine businesses, jewelry stores and dear lord, the list goes on. Its beyond me that people have started servicing love so materialistically. It is mornoic, that they try and coax us into believing that we must unload on the day and cough up our love to our partners.

While not a lot is known about St. Valentine himself except for the fact that he was executed for committing what was thought to be debauchery in the Roman Empire then. The tradition of Valentines day is somewhat recent(If it deserves to be called tradition). Which leaves me to wonder, what Valentines Day should properly be celebrated as? Shouldn't we visit the church and pay our respects to this benevolent martyr who made the holiday possible. Should we not do right by the church and rid ourselves of extravagance and impure thoughts. Should we not read DaVinci Code?

The Valentine Conspiracy.

I'm led to believe that the general public has been brainwashed from what the day truly stands for.

That is, a day to celebrate loving, not just loving your SO. What I believe it should've been was a day to celebrate and appreciate the people you love. It can be your family, your kids, your friends, your colleagues... Heck, even your dog.

A nice get together and a barbecue or just a wild party to celebrate how much you love living instead we have corporations and the government going

Its easy to monetize a couple, your family? not so much, your friends even less. Couples are an obvious target. Hell everybody wants a piece of the action, matching mugs? Check. Matching stationary? Check. Special Valentines Day romantic outfits? Check(da hell is that?). Its ridiculous.

Now, its debasing to see how the word love is thrown around so freely. Its such a simple and sincere word. There aren't many occasions where you can genuinely find a person who deserves this word. Is it not sad that people have been advertising money for love?

Would you rather not hold your lover and tell them that you that Valentines Day means nothing to you because you love them every moment of every day. And that every day is blessing in disguise just because they're with you.

Do actions not speak louder than words? Have you not given up your favorite game or your night out to take care of your partner when they're sick? Have you not put their well being above your own and never told them about it because you're proud you did it of your own accord, not expecting in anything in return? Is this not love?

Its funny. Some days are great. Some not so much. Some downright ugly. But aren't they all worthwhile for the right person?

Dear people, money can't buy love. It can show your affection and it can momentarily spark happiness and excitement. What does buy love is the effort you made to make that money, and the thought that you needed to give something to your partner as a symbol of your love and gratitude for them.

So my take on this is if you want to celebrate Valentines Day, by all means do so. But then remember that it isn't the only day that you pause from your life to show your partner how priceless they are to you. Everyday is a day for loving. There isn't a need to single a February 14th out to present your love. Especially not since the date has nothing to with St. Valentine. It was just a random day marked to patronize him if nothing else was going on. It is we who give meaning to our lives and days we live. Remember that love isn't a duty, its a freedom. Its the freedom to be with the one who holds your heart. The freedom to share your hopes and dreams and sorrow. Its the freedom to bond so intimately with this person that you cannot see a future without them.

Thank you for reading. #loveliving

Chief16 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

• Literally everything in this world has some form of advertisement. It's sad, and when it's pointed out to us only a few people stop to realize it.
    This whole world is literally one walking market.
    We need to stop giving in!
    Why take one day to profess your love? What about the other 364 days of the year?
    The thing is, people will see and understand this but they'll continue to support these markets that earn millions to billions of dollars.
    As the years go on, humans become more involved in tangible objects that will not even last.

• People need a better outlet than materialism, yes. Unfortunately as long as wealth rules, this monetizing of love will never end.

• Eh I like this mytake makes sense! <3

What Guys Said 6

• I agree with your idea of moving away from the commercialisation and the concentration on couples. I saw in another take the finns have a great idea and call it a "Friendship Day" where you give friends gifts rather than your SO.

• Awesome take, fella. The world is not how it should be. :/

• Valentine or no valentine, LOVE & MARRIAGE -- both cost money!!!

((Of course the male is the spender))

• Yeah but those are long term. What I don't get is so much weightage for just one day.

• Those pics, oh man, you had me there.

Oh, I'm still smiling and laughing my ass off as I am responding to this. xD LMAO!!! particularly that last one, that last one cracked me up big time!

• I was about to write something along these lines but you covered it so well that I am not even going to bother. It's just another example of how sheeplike people really are when they vould have something so much more special.
    Cheers and good luck!

• Well mate. I would love to read yours. It would be unfair to me if you didn't write it now. Thank you for reading and I sincerely hope that you will write a MyTake.

• Valentines' Day is just business, nothing else. Just a way for corporates to rip foolish people off, in the name of 'love'.