Preparing For a First Date

Preparing For a First Date

First dates are about first impressions, so it's important you make a good one! Here are some tips to help you out.

Your Outfit

Not to say you have to be a total fashionista, but it's more the little things like making sure you wear clean, fresh clothes, you're not overdressed, but smart and casual.

Make-up

It's tempting to want to do your make-up different to look sexier or put more make up on to hide your imperfections but that's recipe for disaster. You don't want to look totally different to how you usually look! It's best to stick to your usual daily make-up and just a touch of eye shadow if you want to look a little more glamorous for the night.

Arrival

Don't be late! If you have to be late, due to reasons you can't control, let them know as soon as possible. It's best to get to where you're going a little early and you can check the place out too! It shows interest if you're there earlier or on time, rather than late. Being late might even offend the other person, as they may assume it's not important to you or you forgot about it!

Location

If you've never met the person before, due to meeting online for example, make sure you meet in a public place or just somewhere you know there will be people around. Don't ever agree to meet them first time at their house or anyone else's house.

Plan B

Think of a reason why you would need to leave the date, just in case you're not comfortable or you simply don't want to continue the date. Don't go to the toilet and leave through the window! You could ask a friend to text you something when you're on the date and agree that if you don't reply, it means the date's going well but if you want to leave the date, you can use it as an excuse to leave. Some examples; "My father's gone into hospital", "My friend's just broke up with her boyfriend", "My mother says she needs to see me urgently."
If you're an upfront person, you can simply be honest with them though.

Let others know

Tell people you're close to that you're going on a date, who with, when and where you're going and when you think you'll be back, so they can make sure you get home safe, but they also know some crucial details if the worst should happen.

Dutch courage

Some people like to have some alcohol to calm their nerves which is fine if you're not driving and if you don't drink too much - you don't want to go to a date, drunk! Alcohol can bloat you too, which you don't want to happen when you've got a tight fitting top/dress on!

Those are my first date tips that will hopefully help you have a great first date and potentially find love this valentines day! ♥☺

Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• Even though a lot of the take is feminine based - A lot holds true for guys mainly go easy on the alcohol or awareness why the girl has done a lot of your tips - I have nothing to add for a guy just be clean and presentable, be yourself that is who you want to fall for plus if you feel things are going wrong don't over compensate, it will only make it worse.

• Casual? Should I skip shirts?

• They shouldn't wear a push-up bra either. Because it's evil and deceptive to wear a push-up bra on the first few date.

• Like girls need to worry about this. They're the ones who fucking got asked out, the guy is gonna like them 99% of the time every time.

• Great take

• None of those involved the woman paying.

What Girls Said 4

• Great list!
    What I'd like to add is (as a woman)--always come prepared by bringing a credit card or cash! You never know if you're going to mean a guy that is looking to bail on the bill or leave you covering the entire costs.
    As a woman , you always got to make sure you have yourself covered (just in case)

• Well said! I would just add to make sure you have emergency cab fare in case you need to make your own way home.

"Don't go to the toilet and leave through the window," lol. I loved that bit. Keep writing!

• Can't wait to try out the advice!

• Thanks for this, it's very informative :D