Passiveness In Dating & Why It Doesn't Work

I see it all the time. Women asking question after question on here about dating and relationships, wondering what they're doing wrong. Why no guys are approaching them. Asking others on here if they're pretty enough, or if they have a good enough personality. Being worried because they're "already" in their late teens or early 20s, but have zero experience. Zero guys approaching them. Zero luck in dating.

What I also see is a common pattern in what these girls do – which is essentially nothing. They do nothing. They seem to be sitting around at home or at school all day, wondering where all the guys are. Wondering why nobody messages them, why nobody reaches out to them, why nobody asks them out. It's always "why don't they do this and that", not "why don't *I* do this and that".

The problem is basically this: girls don't put themselves out there enough. You don't make yourself available. You don't put an effort into meeting new guys and sparking their interest. You won't get people interested in you by merely existing and breathing. In today's busy world, you have to make yourself visible. You can't expect other people to come find you, especially when these people might not even know what/who exactly they're looking for.

Here, I'll write a nice little list for you, that will guide you to becoming more visible in dating.

1. Put an effort into talking to him and seeing him

If you're interested in someone, then you have to get to know them and give them the possibility of getting to know you. You do so by actually trying to have a nice conversation with them. Don't sit around and wait for him to pick up the phone and message you. Ask him questions. Help him carry the conversation. It's normal and completely harmless.

Sending someone a message every now and then will NOT make you look clingy, or like a "slut/whore"

. Stop exaggerating and making excuses.

If a guy is into you, he will appreciate the effort, and he will return the favor by also initiating the conversations. He'll be impressed by you taking the initiative.

2. Don't be afraid of asking him out

Rejection is a part of life. We will all get rejected by someone at some point. If not by a love interest, you might get rejected by a friend, or by an employer. Might as well get used to the feeling of getting rejected by throwing yourself out there and taking some risks. The sooner you ask someone out when you've realized that you like them, the less it will hurt. If you drag it out and wait for months, or even years until finally confessing to them, you will be absolutely crushed if it turns out that they don't like you back.

Asking someone out is like ripping off a band-aid. Do it quickly and it will be almost completely painless.

If they turn you down, you'll get the chance to move on. And moving on will be a lot easier if you didn't let yourself fall so hard for them for such a long period of time. Now you know they're not into you, so you don't have to waste any more time on pining for them. Now you don't have to feel so unsure anymore either, by overanalyzing everything they have ever said to you. You can just let it go.
And, what if they say yes? Imagine how exciting that would be! Not only did you ask them out all on your own, but it actually turns out that they are into you too! Score! No extra time wasted on waiting around for something to happen. You made it happen on your own. Congrats!

3. Don't sit by the phone and wait for him to say something

If you want to talk, then talk. It's not that difficult. Unless he has told you that he's going to contact you, there's no reason for you to wait around and waste your time if you want to have a conversation with him.

You have a phone or a computer?
You have a working set of fingers, or voice dictation on your phone/computer?
You have at least a few minutes to spare?

Then I see no reason why you should be the one waiting for him to reach out, when you are just as capable of reaching out to him. Be more active.

4. More often than not, passiveness is seen as something negative

If you act passive, you'll come off as disinterested. That's just how it is. If a guy never made an effort to talk to you, never made an effort to meet up with you, never made an effort to call or message you, never made an effort to keep the conversation going, wouldn't you think he was acting really disinterested? The answer is yes, you would. No sane person would think that showing interest = barely even acknowledging someone's existence. So think about how he sees you and how he interprets your actions. Guys are not mind readers.

People will judge your level of interest based on how available you make yourself to them.

If you take hours or days to respond, if you never ask him any questions, if you never initiate any of the conversations and if you never ask him if he wants to go on a date/hang out, you won't come off as a quality lady who is worth his time. You'll come off as a cold, uninteresting, hard to get person who is emotionally unavailable and impossible to relate to. That's not how you should portray yourself if you're actually interested in dating someone. He might chase you for a while, but get bored after that. He needs a positive response eventually, otherwise he'll just think you have zero interest in him and move on.

5. Dating is give and take

It's important to make yourself available and make your interest known. However, obviously you should also analyze the person you're dating (or trying to date). Are they also making an effort? Are they also going out of their way to contact you and arrange new dates? Are you on the same page? Do you want the same things? Don't waste time on people who act vague, who send mixed signals or don't put as much effort into it as you do. Don't overwhelm someone by bombarding them with messages, let them come to you every now and then. And if they don't come to you, despite you making your interest known, it's obvious that the feeling isn't mutual.

6. Try to actually go out and meet new people

If all you do is spend your days at home/school/work, with little to no interactions with those you're actually interested in, you're basically making yourself invisible. Try to go to more parties and events. Or even pick up a hobby that somehow involves getting to interact with more people. You can't just assume that some stranger is going to come knocking on your door one day. You won't find new guys in your fridge or under your bed. And if you do, those are not the kind of guys you'll want to date. Throw yourself out there. Don't wait for a guy to fall from the sky into your lap. That's not how it works.

These were my main tips, and I hope you'll find them helpful. Of course, there are girls out there who have managed to get boyfriends even if they were playing games and acting hard to get. And that's great, for them. But if you find yourself constantly asking what you're doing wrong and why nobody likes you, chances are you're not really doing yourself a favor by making yourself even more invisible and difficult to approach. Your chances of finding someone will greatly increase if you actually put an effort into getting to know new people and making yourself available.

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

• Yeah, now, if only women would do this. But no matter how many Takes are based on this subject, they're just comfort words for guys, that it's 'oh, its so nice that women can finally think this way' but the reality is most women are just gonna sit back and wait for the apple to fall.

• Then that's their own problem, since they will be the ones with zero experience despite being adults.

• Kind of a tragedy really. After all they're the ones who have to settle with less. Being chosen and not choosing.

• Like I said, their own problem. They don't have the right to whine if they don't actually want to work hard to get what they want. That applies to all aspects of life too, not just dating. You don't get good grades at school by skipping class and refusing to study, for example. "You've made your bed, now lie in it."

• "Guys are no mind readers" Indeed. ↑
    (or they read what they hope you think→danger!)

Excellent take.↑↑★★★

• Great Take, If you are passive, love will pass you by.
    I always try and put out effort and ask out girls on dates, but it doesn't seem to work.
    I Try to make it as easy as possible for the girl when i ask her out. I usually plan everything, she literally has to just has to enjoy herself lol

Problem is most girls just text me "Sorry i am busy this weekend" so i try planning way in advance, and they never want to commit to that.

• This take is excellent. You couldn't have said it better. I'm kinda shy myself, so would love to see a guy version.

• Excelent take. Hopefully, the girls are actually reading this. Here, you earned one 🌟 lol

• As a really shy guy - thank you.

Unfortunately though girls will never enter the 21st century and start to approach us guys

• I wish more girls would do this. Absolutely nothing wrong with women approaching men they're interested in. Just like for guys, the worst answer they'll get is no.

• Great Take, I agree 100% :)

• Men do not approach as much as past generations mainly because of the rampant " man bashing " culture of the past , at least , 20 years or so , when I worked at door staff , witnessed on many occasions , groups of young women shooting down approaching guys as nastily as possible , they viewed this as " fun " .

Men are conditioned to believe their approaches are offensive & unwanted by women & should stay well away , women are also conditioned by the " media " to think the worst of men. This blog is food for thought : edumckaytion.com/blog/men-notice-women-anymore

• THANK YOU... THIS IS TRUE... SHY GIRLS LISTEN TO THIS TAKE!!!

• Being shy is hard to change js. If I wasn't bullied, abused, etc growing up. I probably wouldn't have turned out to still be so reserved.

• @dwright9224

It is hard to change, it really sucks about your abuse and bullying... I'm sorry...

But you don't have to change, you always have to be yourself... But if you want to date and stuff, you have to open yourself up to conversation... don't hide in a corner with a hoody and headphones... just try to be more open... That is what this take is saying...

• The problem is I think they already know this but just don't care. It's not a female issue it's just a people issue. When they know they can just sit back and make someone else do the hard work most people will abuse that privilege regardless of the harm it does as long as the harm is hurting someone else and not themselves. Some women have this issue of not being approached but I don't think the majority do. Even average girls get barraged by lots of dudes at least online.

• To be fair, it's a fine line. Most guys still , prefer to be the ones "hunting" and most girls prefer to be the catch. By the women becoming the iniator both sides feel like they devalue themselves.

I go with what a german dating coach once said when he was in a TV show about dating: "Dear girls, we guys want to approach you and you want to be approached - but you have to make yourself approachable. Eye-contact, open body-posture, smiling, don't be surrounding by 5 friends."

• This is a FANTASTIC! Girls, please read! This goes both ways but there is nothing wrong letting a guy know you're interested. Guys like me so often just think you're being nice if you talk to us at all but if you just put in a little more, Guys would be way more apt to ask you out. It's not the asking, it's the not being sure enough that you're interested and were all afraid to be turned down. If you want to be asked out more, do a little more. I don't expect you to do all the work, in fact, I don't even expect you to meet me half way but I don't want to do 90% of the work either. Meet us 60/40 or 70/30 we can take it from there.

• Soooooo true!!! Great take!!!

• Always great with the words

• ha that pic remind me of this song..

• I already posted this take on some girls question lol agree completely

• Great take Lumos - You can even cross gender lines and give same advice to some guys - To paraphrase a saying it is better to try and fail than sit at home wondering does he/she? - While being turned down or sidelined hurts it also gives you the opportunity to move on to meet someone who you have a mutual attraction with plus on top of that there is no absolute guarantee he/she will say "No" if you ask.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f2399ded6c.jpg
    www.brainyquote.com/.../...dlordtennyson153702.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...da3514e763.jpg

• Indeed, I agree :) I just thought that I should try to direct this take more at women, seeing as women have traditionally always been encouraged to be the passive ones in dating. But in my opinion that's an outdated view, and it's been proven over and over again considering that men don't approach as much anymore. We live in a slightly more equal world now, so women are expected to pull their own weight in the dating scene.

• That is sound logic

• Let's go out Lumos!

• Flawless MyTake @lumos as usually.

What Girls Said 7

• Works both ways, women are not mind readers either. Makes no sense for a guy to make it obvious he likes you by staring at you and having the courage to follow you around, without any intentions of ever talking to you. I've also found out that most of these guys are already paired off. I got fed up of being messed around, so you can understand why I'm not as forward as I used to be beforehand. Why to I attract all the guys that are in relationships? :(

• That's why I'm always active, nice Mytake :D

• So going out in public, making myself approachable is gonna have a guy of my type willing to walk up to me 'n' just try to get to know me? Or like always, do I have to take the iniative? Like can I find a guy that matches WITHOUT having to make the 1st move? Why should I always have to be the one to show 1st interest in a guy that's right for me. It's literally impossible for a woman like me to pursue guys I like since I'm more sociallt awkward, have social anxiety, and a mahor introvert. So just wondering why women always have to pursue guys that make a good match for them. But never ever get 1st pursued by that guy.

• I am so sorry for the typos. And don't mean to sound like I'm "complaining". But shouldn't I get what I give out to the world in return. If I'm a good woman constantly 1st approaching after good guys in life. Then shouldn't I be able to have @ least one random good guy 1st approach me 1st once instead of the other way around?

• "But shouldn't I get what I give out to the world in return"
      No, the world doesn't owe you anything. You make your own life.

• You shouldn't get anything. This ideology that a guy YOUR TYPE will come up to you and talk with you is flawed. That comes from Hollywood.

• So if you know that a guy likes and you like him, is it Ok to ask him out instead of him doing it?

• Of course it is, why wouldn't it be?

• "Hey, how are you? :) When are you free to meet again?"

• That should be easy!

• When I like a guy I tend to laugh a little harder at his jokes, bat my eyelashes and touch my hair. I like to give subtle hints.

• This.

• In my experience guys are turned off by girls who are too forward.

• Like I said you shouldn't overwhelm them. But showing interest is hardly being "too forward".

• I hate passivity in women.

• @brain5000 men are eager to see women take initiative and ask them out because it makes it easy. How many times have we ask said to ourselves.. "Wish she'd come over to me and say something"

Would guys love it? Of course. Does it happen? Not often enough to expect.