Women in Country Music & Why Confidence Can Be Offensive No Matter Who You Are

I can talk (and have) in length about different concepts that have relevance to dating, but what about it's application? I can talk specifically to males on this site and hope that girls can get something out of them, but why not mix it up some?

I read an interesting article which goes into great detail about "bro country" and how country music has become so male dominated by Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean clones that women who aren't Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood can't get a word in edgewise. They are limited to sitting in pick up trucks with long tanned legs waiting for their trucker hat wearing boyfriend to come pick them up for a ride and, maybe, if they're lucky they can grab him an ice cold beer. Any country girl who dares to sing about "friendzoning" a guy or anything topic guys don't like get shut down almost immediately from airplay.

Yet, there are several emerging females who are fighting the good fight towards broadening the very narrow scope of beer, blondes, and pick up trucks by presenting a woman who is CONFIDENT. She is not afraid to talk about dumping a guy who mistreats her for his best friend (Tara Thompson) claiming a random guy as her next boyfriend (Lauren Alaiana) and generally not falling for the lines guys use to manipulate women (Olivia Lane)

Hey Girl, what do you say? Want to do a do-over I swear I'll change!" You only want a toy for you to enjoy, you ain't nothin' but a basic boy!

So if this is the application of confidence then what's the theory. Well, these women might be getting into the Top 40, but they are doing nothing compared to Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Sam Hunt. Hell, even the fat guy from Rascal Flatts is doing better than they are despite having been on their way out for years.

Confidence is much like having money, looks, a great body, popularity. People will want it, want to take it, hate you for having something they could never have. It prevents those who aren't ready to handle it from ever getting it...to be really confident you have to be strong enough not to care when people hate you for having it.

You will not always be the most popular person in the room just because you are the most confident. I'd wager the most popular person only displays a rather average sense of confidence. One that anyone could have. I'm not even talking about being cocky, but rather the ability to be yourself no matter where you are, what you're doing, or what you look like is a skill that many would kill for.

So start to see confidence as it's own reward. It is freedom to unlock the funniest, smartest, cleverest parts of yourself. You need it to reach potential of any kind. A lot of people will accuse you of being arrogant and needing to be more humble even if you don't showboat but are merely certain of yourself and what you deserve. Ignore these people and keep being awesome.

***Tried to diversify the country signers I chose for the Take. Not my fault they're 99% blonde girls.

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• confidence is offensive? did you mean to say that. also women are reduced to sitting in trucks--you mean in videos or in real life.

• we're done. you're lack the ability to understand me. thanks for stopping by

• Confidence is only offense to people that don't have any. I don't like country music but thought I'd throw my two cents in about the other half of your take.

• So I get where your comming from kind of but as a die hard country fan one who loves Merle haggard jones Loretta and new stuff those girls aren't country. They're wanna be's. They are good but they ain't country. San hunt freken raps in his song he is just no moe country than the new girls. They're are lots of good new women in country but so many now are so NOT country that it just doesn't work. As I said I can understand where your coming from in the sense of confidence but other than that I can't say I agree with any more of it.

• Preach! thank you I thought I was the only one who thought this way about these new girls! As you said they are good, but I am sure they will end up like taylor swift and turn to hip hop

• @justagirl0 so then it's not really these new girls in particular you have a problem with. basically you have a vision of country and you don't like the what's become the mainstream which is fair but again it's more about how they're being received versus their male counterparts. trust me every genre's fans feels the way you do

What Guys Said 5

• I would love to live in Nashville. Nice Take.

• This whole take seems off. Country music has always had a much higher female participation than has hard rock or rap, which are nothing but testosterone. And not just vocalists either, but actual songwriters and musicians.

• if you have no idea about the bro country take over in music i'd say you really are out of touch with the mainstream country music scene.

• So be it. These things are cyclical. The whole "outlaw country" movement didn't have ladies either.

• Country music is gay.

• my beef are the songs encouraging drugs and smoking.

• tha'ts pretty pathetic.

saying peopel are offended at confidence is like saying one is offended at having good teeth or eating right. why be offended at people who doing things good for them?