6 Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever Date Smart Women

Ahhh, got you to click, didn't I? Tricksy, tricksy, am I. ;)

Actually, the title is to prove a point: For whatever reason, it's a standard Internet rule that people are far more likely to click on a headline that's negative in tone as opposed to a positive one. In other words, "10 Reasons I Love..." will almost invariably get less attention than "10 Reasons I Hate..." (though it depends a little on the subject). Not a pleasant commentary on the general Internet attitude, which is why we see entire Takes dedicated to this phenomenon. There's another one here.

Point is, I can almost guarantee that this title gets more attention than if I had worded it, "6 Reasons Why You Should Always Date Smart Women." And in fact, that's the true crux of this Take. :P So, on with why you should always opt to go for women with some brains:

6. Mom will give you her stamp of approval

Call it what you will (older females realizing that intelligence matters more in the long run?) but mothers are far more likely to endorse the girl of your choice if she's got some smarts. If you bring this home-

-your mother's reaction will be just like Lois'. I promise. And no, it doesn't seem to make any difference if the mother is a waitress or a professor; they all seem to value the brains. Maybe they just want them to finally put you in your place, as mom never managed to. :P

5. It keeps you young

A guy who has to work to keep up stays young. This is true for both the physical and mental: If you've got to work that much harder on a daily basis, no matter what you're doing, that activity will make you live longer. I'm almost certain it's true. If not, at the very least, time will pass quickly and you'll enjoy every moment of it because at least your life is interesting.

Which leads me to #4...

4. Your life is bound to be more interesting

It just is. Even if the girl isn't the adventurous type, smarter people simply have more going on in their heads. Yeah, they're more likely to want to travel all over the place, see and experience new things, etc, because they actually enjoy learning. And if they're just so smart that they're batshit insane, well, your life will still be interesting, won't it? I mean, it might get a little hairy when she snaps and thinks the secret to live involves your death but hey, "interesting" is a very subjective term.

3. I'm sorry, but dumb women get really boring...really fast

They just do. And then they go from boring to obnoxious and tiresome. A dunce is easily predictable; she doesn't have a lot of layers, you know? Once you've peeled the onion and realized that there's like two layers rather than the twenty-two you were hoping to find, disinterest creeps in. And no, it really doesn't matter how hot she is. Okay, it matters, but only to a point. You might stick with the hot chick a little longer just because she's hot but ultimately, the relationship ends up in Dullsville.

2. It might rub off on you...

Even if you weren't that great in school, even if you've always thought of yourself as a little light on the brains, being with someone who's smarter will have a positive impact. It's inevitable. You're sharing your life with someone who you're around 24/7 and when we share every aspect of our lives with another person, there's a lot of subconscious sharing going on. Never liked stage plays or the opera? If you go a few times, you might. No interest in that gallery opening? Hey, maybe next time you'll be the one who wants to go.

1. At their core, I think all men want to be challenged

I'm willing to bet women like to be challenged, too, but I believe it's part of a man's DNA. Well, the men who aren't total slugs, anyway (and there are waaaay too many of those these days). As much as he might not want to admit it, a man tends to embrace challenges and this is one of the most fulfilling challenges a man will ever undertake.

One final caveat to all of this: If one person in a relationship is a lot smarter than the other, some of these reasons might not fly. Whether people choose to believe it or not, it's just a fact that, most likely, the rocket scientist won't have as much in common with the janitor. I'm not saying it's impossible for these two people to be happy together (I really hate having to make constant disclaimers in today's world, but whatever) but we all know how things typically work, right?

P.S. I'm taking bets on whether or not this article gets a comment from an irate poster who didn't read past the headline. ;)

Fathoms77 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 20

• So... your title has nothing to do with the reasons...
    I agree with the reasons, not with the premise in the title, though.

• It was a play on words. He's basically saying if these 6 reasons aren't intriguing to you, then you shouldn't date a smart girl. It's a writer's technique people use to grab attention: Say something rude and off the wall or offensive, then go another direction with it.

• @EllieLexis513 I know. Still don't agree with it.

• I was very mad at first, and then continued to be mad once I realized how well you played me. Good job. Asshole.
    I was gonna make some snarky comment about how I never wanna date anyone anyway but then you did good.
    Thanks xD

• I was ready to be so fucking mad... lol well played.

• people really need to start to define 'smart'... is a smart woman someone who has a phd and knows how to solve every math problem? or is a smart woman someone who is very artistic and has some unique views on life?
    why don't we just use the easiest example and say "don't be a dumb bimbo and you're good to go"?

• Smart in what way? I don't even have a say because i'm not the smartest person but i won't say that i'm dumb. I'm a procrastinator but i know my stuff.

• As a dumb woman I am offended by what you wrote here... No I'm just kidding, I'm freeking Einstine bitch!

• Well it depends on what type of smart. Street smart or book smart. Some book smart guys would find street smart women intriguing while other not because of social circles and some street smart men would prefer a book smart girl. Depends on individual taste but it is true that smart women are mostly the single ones but I guess that comes with age as well and personal social circumstances. Most women go for the degree because of poor back ground and I guess are more focused on a career and making money instead of love because of the fear of ending up like their parents or what they see other uneducated women go through when they get married have kids and ending up divorced with no decent income. If a men is emotionally and financially secure he most probably will go for his taste where as a men that has ego problems and financially secure would go for a woman less intelligent to compliment his fall backs. Same would go for a man that is secure in himself will go for a smart woman because he doesn't see her as a challenge or competitor but then again the final decision will be based on the external. But I think men now will go for an intelligent woman that makes her own money because he don't want to empty his bank account when things go sour. So I guess love is selfish and all about what we can get out of it being it her intelligence, her physical appearance, his money or just pure unconditional wuv :) .

• Can somebody please give this woman MHO?

What a great answer! Wow, thank you. Was very nice reading that :)

• You say these things... but I see man after man opting for the dumb bitch with the hot body, rather than the woman with the intellect and certain standards.

• Smart girls are great; but they have to be well-rounded. If you direct too high a percentage of your efforts on simply gaining knowledge or improving your academic base, you risk falling short in other areas. There has to be shared hobbies and interests; there needs to be chemistry in the bedroom. Personal beliefs and convictions count for a lot. Are both sides on the same page in terms of humanitarian affairs?

Basically, being intelligent might snag you a smart man... but intelligence alone can't sustain a relationship. A good guy deserves a girl who is intelligent, fun, and amazing in bed. So smart ladies... make sure to broaden your horizons just a little. Just sayin'...

• There is no correlation between looks and intelligence. There are lots of smart, hot women, and dumb average/ugly ones. Most of the dumb women called 'hot' are actually just fake (i. e. fake tan, hair, breasts etc)

• True! Plus there are a lot of dumb but average looking women and smart but average looking women. Average as in not ugly but not stunning. You feel me?

• well played Mister.. ;)
    actually you made very good points.. same goes for smart men.. I've experienced this many times that if a person is not very smart.. has no sense of humor.. is very conservative or close minded.. the spark just dies.. and looks cannot help the relationship even if he/she is a 10 on 10.. I get bored with dumb people in less than a week..
    one more thing I'd like to add is that definition of ''smartness'' is a bit subjective in my opinion..
    Anyhoo.. I really liked this take.. :)

• One thing gets me, why are there so many smart women single?

Sure smart guy has women all over him

• From what I've noticed, men like to be the smartest in the relationship. Us girls in STEM have to stand our ground. Or date guys in STEM.

• Just because someone is in "STEM" doesn't mean they're smart :D

• You have much to learn about the working world.

• @BigJake and you have much to learn about how to speak to people without patronizing them.

• This Tips are Extraordinary Amazing

• Oh u r so wicked with tht headline 😂 .
    Nice take by the way.

• Did not read all of it. Was not bothered. Ahahaha...

• Girl in the first photo looks attractive with those glasses.

• I see you wrote this for the intelligent man.

• It's nice to know some men value the women who have brains... :-)

I know I hated when I was growing up that there was a stereotype that you could be the "smart" girl, or the "hot" / "desirable" girl. Luckily I wised up to that pretty quick and thought, "Why can't a girl be both smart AND pretty"? :-)

• Yet you never executed the smart/pretty combination yourself.

• @VegasNewFallout I'm sorry, do I know you? Or do you just get a kick out of insulting random people on the internet?

• @VegasNewFallout never mind, I checked your post history and figured out the answer myself (I'm smart like that).

• I'm here to read the irate posters' comments.

What Guys Said 39

• I have dated many intelligent women in my lifetime. . . and a few not quite so bright. I would estimate my current girlfriend's IQ to be 140-145 and every one of your points is validated by this relationship.

Your point about negative headlines is well taken. So many people want to be the white knight who comes in and does battle with the moron who made some insane comment. If only they were willing to do battle in their real lives instead of this fantasyland.

• I can agree with a lot of this. Intelligent females are always what I prefer, and they can even arouse me sexually too because of it. I do think the part about men like being challenged is true too. I know for me, when I meet an intelligent woman, I like the challenge of her ideas and something totally new she says that I've never heard from anyone else ever in my life.

I can say that when you meet dumb girls, you feel really, really awkward with them really, really soon. Something told you she'd be great to get to know in the beginning, but then the more you found out and the more you saw from her, the more you start feeling sorry you met and that she's under your league, lol.

• Hahaha love it

• It really depends on what you mean by "smart."

I went out with a woman who was getting her doctorate to become a Chiropractor, which as I found out, also involved basically a masters in biology and medicine. This woman could explain why on a cellular level why drinking makes you pee or affects your mood. She could explain why certain drugs would make sex amazing, or how certain medicines badly affected you and doctors didn't know it... she was in short, extremely smart and highly educated.

And boring as fuck and annoying as hell and arrogant enough her head should have exploded.

I've gone out with waitresses... girls with high school diplomas... girls who were into pop culture and not highly educated or brilliant. And they knew how to be fun and cheerful and witty, and could have me grinning or laughing because of a witty or funny comment they made.

A girl doesn't need a masters degree... or even a bachelor's, to be smart and witty and a joy to be around.

• here is a good tip
      Chiropractry is a pseudo science,
      They have no real health benefits

• A degree has never defined intelligence, however, having a degree means you are exposed to a certain environment which nurtures your brain and aids in being a better well developed individual socially and mentally.

And then there are degrees that develop highly, over confident, materialistic, and egotistic people... So, depends on their degree and their background as well as environment and of course as always and most important of all - personality ;-)

• There are degree-holding humble people, too! Just FYI!! That being said, I agree that you don't need a degree in order to be a great human being~

• I'm married to a woman I consider my equal and I've always been very happy about that.

• Hahah nice played, I was about to get mad xD

Great Take. Smart women are the best, it's what every man should strike for (and vice versa too).
    I couldn't stand being with a dumb girl, it would be impossible to deal with that. How am I suppose to live a life with someone who makes me face palm every time she opens her mouth?
    I value intelligence, that's why I never stop learning, so I need someone with that same mentality, and if it's better, then perfect.

• Well said, and well thought out mytake. Interesting tactic with the title to get somebody's attention to click on it and read it, I like that.

I'm sold on this one. I'd pass and spread the word for those guys that are still single and is still interested in dating as I thought you have given great advice and that it all actually made sense.

• You little deceitful Minx... :)

• Clickbait title and bullshit, sycophantic reasons.

i.kinja-img.com/.../mr706okg8ks08r05ec6t.gif

• And it's really funny that you clicked and commented.

• Yep, it's not like you make money off of it so it's NBD to click and tell you that you're a plonker.

• Newsflash: So-called "clickbait" exists because people keep clicking on it. If you don't want it to exist, stop clicking.

Supply and demand, my friend.

• I want one ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

😛

• One reason: you know you're an idiot

• Because no one likes to feel outsmarted ;)

• Yes! Completely agree, I can't stand dumb people n general, I need company that's interesting and intelligent-bit necessarily amazingly smart, just not stupid and ignorant.
    Although that doesn't necessarily mean academically talented, I've got some great friends who don't do amazingly in exams but are actually very intelligent.

• So many reasons to date smart women... but there are so few of them out there (as in actually smart, not your average college grad who thinks that automatically makes her smart even though more than half of all young women graduated from college) and they tend to already have boyfriends.

• One thing bugs me, if guys love smart girls, why are there so many single smart girls? hmm

• Um... So basically, you click-baited. Great...

• So what are the dumb girls supposed to do, just be alone forever?

• One of my favorite quotes comes from The 13th Warrior. It's when one of the vikings tosses a sword to Antonio Banderas' character and Banderas says, "I cannot lift this."

The viking replies, "Grow stronger!"

• No, but I think that 'dumb' kind of equates to vacuous/vapid rather than unable to learn...

• I disagree. This is the mentality that births pretentious fools who have a basic level degree and no experience.

• The term "pretentious fools" is almost exclusively used by boy-men who never grew up and think speaking in complete sentences is "pretentious."

• "Almost" being the key word.

• "Ahhh, got you to click, didn't I? Tricksy, tricksy, am I.
    Actually, the title is to prove a point: For whatever reason, it's a standard Internet rule that people are far more likely to click on a headline that's negative in tone"

And then they can't be fucked reading it.

• Hah. You got me. I was gonna say i would ONLY date intelligent women but you threw me off. It seems that a lot of the guys i know
    Actually want girls to be dumb. I admit its kinda cute at first but it really bores and annoys me when some girls actually ACT dumb. Its a childish thing and not a feminine thing. I want to be able to talk with a girl about similar topics and think in the same way..

• More from Guys
    19