How a Dating App Stood Up for One of It's Users

So a couple days a ago my friend shared with me an article about a guy (Connor) who verbally attacked this girl (Ashley) for asking "What do you do?". This is a pretty standard question to ask when doing a cold communication with someone. However, Connor felt a bit differently about it.

How a Dating App Stood Up for One of It's UsersSeems alright. Pretty generic conversation. But lets continue on...

Connor has now taken offense to the question. But wait there's more...

Wow... that went from 0 to 100 real quick. He then calls her an "entitled, gold-digging whore," and accuses her of pushing "this neo-liberal, Beyonce, feminist cancer which plagues society" on him. He then proceeds to put her down for presumably making less money than him.

This was a uncomfortable and awkward situation for Ashley to be in but according to a 2013 Pew research 42% of women receive unwanted or uncomfortable messages on online dating platforms.

Bumble tries to work differently by encouraging women to make the first contact.

Bumble is a dating app I have never used but might consider using after the company's swift response after seeing Ashley's tweet of the altercation. An excerpt from the company's blog about the situation:

"While you may view this as 'neo-liberal, Beyonce, feminist-cancer,' and rant about the personal wounds you are trying to heal from classic 'entitled gold digging whores,' we are going to keep working. We are going to expand our reach and make sure that women everywhere receive the message that they are just as empowered in their personal lives as they are in the workplace. We are going to continue to build a world that makes small-minded, misogynist boys like you feel outdated."

They ended the note by telling Connor they hope he comes around, but that for the meantime, he's blocked from using the app. *cue mic drop*

Conversation images courtesy of Ashley and UpWorthy.

Edit: Yes I realized the mistake made in the title "its" vs "it's".

#DatingApps #Dating #Misogyny #ChillTheHellOut

SilenRose is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• That guy is lucky he only got banned from the app...

• Wow... For a guy who professes to despise feminists, he has no qualms about using a dating app that's definitely geared towards women and women-worshipers... God daamn...

• Exactly. If you don't want women approaching you and taking the lead then why use a dating app that encourages that?

• Politics is poison... Gender politics is pure vitriol

• One of the many assholes right there. I am not sure I understand the reaction though. The normal response would be to simply block the user and move on. Women should be used to dealing with crazy people just as men are. You ignore them. If a crazy lady had done this to me, I wouldn't have replied. Simple as that. I would have moved on right there and then. Do ladies have thin skin or is it just the one?

• Bumble? Who the hell has ever heard of that?

SHE should have put on her big girl panties and walked away. It's not like he made threats against her safety. Can't take the heat? Then get off the freaking internet.

• Connor is that you?

• She must have been guilty of wanting to know how much he made, since she got so offended by his comments.

• Well Connor, sharing the idiocy of someone isn't running for cover. However, I find it funny that you are talking about her being scared and not strong enough yet you choose to hide under anonymity. Thanks for proving that misogynist males like you pollute the online dating world.

What Girls Said 4