A Milestone in My Life: The Day a Girl Finally Said "Yes"

On August 17, 2016, a date that will live on in glory, a milestone in my life occurred:

A female finally said "Yes."

She gave me her phone number, added me on Facebook, and expressed interest in going out.

Asking finally paid off.

As some readers may recall, only days ago I published a similar MyTake titled "An Honest Look at What I've Learned From Rejection." It told about how I was rejected yet again by a coworker whom I had a massive crush on, and articulated the lessons I had learned from rejection in general. Well, little did I know that my time of mourning, grief, and sorrow would be succeeded by a time of gladness, joy, and peace. Who ever would have thought? That like life proceeding from a symbol of death as in Christian theology, the acceptance of one would proceed from the rejection of another.

I am a happy man. A happy man indeed. Because for once -- just once in my life -- I was not rejected. More than that, I was actually accepted. A girl said "Yes" and I have entered the world of dating by force. I have entered a stage in life that I was barred from for so long. I have reaped success. It all started a few hours ago, at around 8:45PM. I was working my night shift at the local grocery store, ever the faithful courtesy clerk. Still in exile after my recent rejection, the night was uneventful to say in the least. Nothing interesting had happened, and I longed to return home to eat.

But then I met another coworker.

This one was 17 years old, a college student, who, like me, had graduated high school a year early. Her name was -withheld- and she was very beautiful. Arguably even more beautiful than the first coworker who rejected me. She was blonde and petite, which are precisely my tastes. And she was in my department at the front end, taking a break in the cafe. Normally I would have just let it go, and drudgingly performed my job like any other day. But lately I have been on the prowl, constantly asking women out because I realize that mathematics is my only hope. I am never going to be Chad Thundercock. So my only hope is mathematics. I have to ask out so many women that eventually one of them will have to say yes per the laws of probability.

And boy am I glad that I did. And surprised as well.

I was not expecting a "Yes." In fact, I was still recovering from my recent rejection. Expecting another rejection, and resolving that things could not possibly get any worse, I decided to do it. Putting on my orange vest to gather shopping carts from the parking lot, I unenthusiastically approached this girl and asked her if I could have her phone number, explaining that I thought she was very pretty and would like to take her out someday if she was interested.

And to my amazement, she said Yes. She had actually said Yes.

I could not believe my ears. For the very first time in my short, 20 years of existence I had not been rejected. A girl had finally said Yes to me. In the blink of an eye, I had entered the world of dating by force. The world that I had missed out on in high school and longed desperately to enter was now mine for the taking. It finally came. It is here for me. Completely blown away by her answer, I fumbled for my iPhone where I added her number and then, thinking on my feet, asked if we could be Facebook friends and she actually said Yes to that as well. The rest of the night was spent socializing with each other, exchanging compliments and learning about each other. At the end of her shift, approximately 10:00PM, I walked her out to her vehicle where we exchanged one last smile, and then I stood in the parking lot a happy man, knowing that in a single night, I had entered a completely new stage in life. I had entered the realm of romance and dating, finally after so long.

The feeling was, metaphysical, for lack of a better term.

Imagine that feeling you get when a rollercoaster plummets, you are free falling, and for just that brief moment in time, everything in the world is right, and you are the happiest person alive.

It was like that, but to an even greater extent. And unlike a rollercoaster, it was not over in a few seconds. Rather, it continued for the whole rest of the night. It was the happiest I had ever felt in my entire life. To men who are Chad Thundercocks and women who by default are in a better position than men, it may not seem like much. But to the average guy like myself, it was life changing. It was a metaphysical and conceptual overload, something that I would have never been able to comprehend until it happened. For once it was not just in my head, for once it was not just my orgasmic masturbation fantasy. It was real, and it was here: I finally received a "Yes."

It was like being high, though I have never been high so I would not know.

I spent the rest of my long shift working at 150% until finally it ended around midnight. I bagged groceries faster than I had ever bagged them before, I escorted old ladies to their vehicles, shot the breeze with my bosses, and swept the floors like a man with a mission. I was on a whole different level, that metaphysical high that I can only liken to a rollercoaster ever in the pit of my stomach. I worked with a smile on my face, because in that one brief moment in time, everything was just right.

I reached the summit. I climbed the mountain against staggering odds. I accomplished what every bitter neckbeard and self-proclaimed 'nice guy' never thought was possible: I received a "Yes." Not from an overweight and/or unattractive girl way below my league, but from a thin, petite blonde girl who is very beautiful and out of my league. Not from an aging promiscuous woman who finally wants to settle down with me after being used by Chad Thundercock, but from an innocent young girl who rides horses and blushes whenever I compliment her. I did not need to resort to prostitutes or mail order brides, nor did I need a million dollars and a body like Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. I was able to do it by being myself, and succeeded through years of effort and self determination.

Overall I learned two things from this experience.

First, that just because one door closes, it is not the end of the world. Reaffirming what I stated in my previous Take about rejection, you have the option to either wallow in self pity or to move on and take affirmative action. I opted for the latter, and in the end it paid off because I was able to capitalize on the new door that opened. The second thing I learned is that failure is a choice. With hard work, determination, and an unwavering resolve, you can accomplish anything. This is what separates me from the bitter neckbeards who lose all hope. Instead of allowing failure to break my resolve, I utilize it as an opportunity for improvement. I take the appropriate steps to produce a better outcome the next time around. Doing so has prevented me from becoming like this:

More than anything, I credit this success to my mother. Were it not for the fact that she has loved my father so much throughout the years despite being incredibly out of his league, I would have no faith that a beautiful woman could ever truly love me for who I am. My mother is the definitive living proof that the 'nice guys' are wrong; that there is reason to be hopeful, that you can acquire the woman of your dreams if you work hard enough and do not ever give up no matter how difficult it is.

That is precisely what I did. I kept trying to improve myself as much as possible, and more than that, I forced myself to overcome my nerves and go out of my comfort zone. I kept on asking beautiful women out until finally one said Yes. And it worked, it actually worked. My toils finally paid off. The great irony is that if it were not for my previous rejection, I never would have been able to experience the sweet fruit of acceptance that just recently occurred. In order for a new door to open, the old one had to first be closed. This is an important lesson that I will take with me for the rest of my life.

Another irony is that this occurred before I had a chance to see all of the advice I received about not asking people out from the workplace. If I had seen that advice beforehand, I never would have asked this new girl out. And thus, I never would have received my first "Yes." Not seeing that advice until after I had rather recklessly decided to ask this girl out was the single luckiest mistake I had ever made in my entire life. I can thank late hours at the workplace for that. They prevented me from frequenting GAG as much as I would have liked, and thus from seeing said advice. In conclusion, while this victory may seem small to most readers, it is still a victory nonetheless and therefore worth celebrating, especially to an average fellow like myself. Even if this relationship never goes anywhere and/or does not last long in the end, it is the significance that counts:

It means that receiving a "Yes" is possible.

If I was able to receive a "Yes" at least once, then there is no reason why I cannot receive one again at another time. It proves that while difficult to attain, success is possible and that I am on the right track. It is the validation for all of my hard work and efforts. And for that I am grateful, and will celebrate this victory among the future victories that I now know will eventually come.

What was it like the first time you ever received a "Yes"?

JRICHARDS1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 14

Knew you could do it! =)
    Your MyTake in which you state what you've learned from rejection really spoke to me - and I knew you were taking all of it in a very healthy manner. So, of course, that's bound to attract a normal, nice person soon enough.

Good job, and congratulations!

Congratulations! Great take, and great writing. When I was reading this I started to feel really happy for you too :)

Pinkie Pie!!!
    media.giphy.com/media/YOFIOhPHMeE8/giphy.gif

But yeah, congratulations. All those times you were rejected have paid off in the long run. Those people who say, "Just keep trying" may be annoying, sure, but they are correct nonetheless. Don't give up because one day one of those many fish in the sea will find interest in you.

Congratulations for your zenith!
    You are one courageous person.

Your mum looks younger than you. I want to read more about her than how you got your first date. by the way, Nice decor background.👌🏼

Congrats! :) by the way you look cute and you sound like a sweetheart here.

Is she your step mom or biological mom?

Biological mommy. She had me at 15 and is the bravest woman I ever met :)

awww Omg so young! When she was my age she had a 15 year old son Wow!

She is beautiful though lol I'm closer to her age than yours lol crazy to me

Wow I'm so happy for you
    😊✌👏

I read on another reply that you only got rejected 3 times anyway so it's no big deal. Good luck with the girl though

I think you're jumping the gun. While it's great she said yes and congrats on that, why don't you wait and see if you make it to a first date and then a second? You're getting way to hyped over a yes. I've said yes to guys and then changed my mind about them after the first date, so we'll see what happens. Obviously I hope things go well for you but still.

Nice take. Well done, I love a happy ending. This is what I try telling people, don't give up. :)

Is that you in the pic with your mom?

You're a very good writer and your mom is gorgeous.

Grats, man.

I usually have a bit of a thrilling feeling when the guy says yes.

That's adorable, congratulations <3 :)

What Guys Said 44

1. Congratulations!

2. Dude, your mother is BEAUTIFUL! And I know from reading your posts that she is a devoted mother and a very good person.

3. As some other users noted, it is difficult to not feel elated the first time a girl says yes. However, she is 17, very bright, and attractive, and she probably had had some dating history. You don't want to appear desperate or needy so you definitely need to downplay the "I'm on top of the world" routine.

4. Remember that this may blossom into a relationship but most first dates do not. This girl MAY become Mrs. JRichards1996 but she probably will not. You may not get a second date with her. You may date for a month and then break up. The most important thing is that the first date gives you more confidence and that will make it easier to get your second first date.

5. If and when this comes to an end, remember the lessons you have learned from your experiences. You can wallow in self-pity or move forward, and seeing yourself as a failure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

6. You should talk to her on a few occasions before you ask her for a date. When you do ask her, make sure that you meet her father at the earliest opportunity. This is his "little girl" and, since he doesn't know you, he has no reason to trust you. Take the initiative to meet him and you will make a good impression.

Dude, I am SO happy for you! I will be expecting update reports from you!

First: I'm proud of all the Takes from guys today. Girls usually sorta dominate the Take side and some of the guy Takes CAN be a little bitter and rough sometimes, but this last batch is just awesome. Thoughtful, insightful, not offensive at all, a little more positive, etc.

Great stuff. :)

Second, I applaud the author here. A new world has opened up, hasn't it? ;) Very happy for you indeed. I may be old but I don't think a man ever forgets the unbridled exhilaration of his first "yes." And the good news is, though the first one is always special, subsequent "yeses" are still almost as wonderful.

Just one word of warning: In this euphoria, it's easy to go too far too fast; your imagination runs away with you and you're already in the house with the kids and a white picket fence. And as I think you already know, over-eager, needy men always come across as creepy. Just curb that, bear in mind that this is only the beginning, and have fun seeing where it goes. :)

Lol nice ^6 is she your first?

As a guy that hasn't received a "yes" yet (mostly because I'm scared), I'm really proud of you! *Internet Hug* 😂. It must be an awesome feeling 👍🏽 PS Your mom is really pretty.

Wow you are a sad mess. Celebrating and expounding on a simple "yes" from a girl lol. There's a word for that: "douche."

rock on jircards

What the did you just say about me, you little loser? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Alpha Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Lady's Parts, and I have over 300 confirmed nails. I am trained in gorilla lovemaking and I’m the top sexhaver in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my words. You think you can get away with saying that about me over the Internet? Think again, loser. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of women across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the cuckstorm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking cucked, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can cuck you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare... hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed lovemaking, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the dating pool, you little nerd. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comments were about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you hecking idiot. I will cuck fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’ll be a virgin forever, kiddo.

Lulz reading this after reading his latest Mytake , I can't help but laugh. Sorry.

You said you would make a commitment to ask out as many woman as you can , but you stopped at the first one that said "yes" to you (not knowing that getting phone number is only the fucking first step and not the end). You wear your heart on your sleeve and got too excited for your own good.

Yes, let this be a lesson. With more experience, one day you will look back and see why it had to happen.

damn, ur mom though <3

June 5 2016, first time a girl told me she loved me. she said i make her feel good about herself, and that she hurts for me when i'm not around. it was terrible, she didn't resolve any of the problems that i have about being with her. she took it as rejection instead of maybe if some things are changed around.

Congratulations! Perseverance pays off. Just be your best self on your first date. A second date is not guaranteed so there is still a long way to go. I suggest you also look online for things to talk about on a first date.

Congrats dude.

My approach is a bit different. I only ask girls out I already know good enough to know there's a good chance I might work out. Thus I basically only get yes as an answer, on the other hand I hardly ever ask girls out. But I get my yeses.
    Know I've got to figure out how to not end up in the friendzone. Is that because they already see my as a "only" friend when I ask them out? Hmm... how knows.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you.

If you only ask out girls you know well enough, you're doing it right. I only say yes to guys I know well enough. I'm glad to hear not all guys are desperate. Thumbs up to you.

THIS IS MY DREAM I HOPE I CAN WRITE A MYTAKE LIKE THIS ONE DAY!!. I'm seventeen but I'm still in highschool and struggling to get a girlfriend but I know it's gonna happen soon :-)

Haha, I feel you man. Back in the day I was one of those typical unfit, unattractive guys who cared nothing for his appearance and only went for the gorgeous, slim girls who always wore cute clothes and I would get rejected a ton. I only date a few of those girls during that time, like I would have to ask out 10 girls before one of them said yes xD

Congratz man!!! I'm happy for you. Hope the first date goes well and good luck.

Well dude I'm 25 it's not likely for me at this point

I'm happy for you and don't want to be a downer but you are definitely getting way too invested. She may not end up wanting to date further beyond the first date and then you will be right back to where you've always been. Sometimes girls regret saying yes and never even make it to the first date. I feel like you're setting yourself up to be seriously hurt.

Congrats! Hope things keep getting better for you.

Before you see her again, try controlling some of this elation a bit, as it comes from a needy place. I guarantee SHE'S not feeling this overjoyed about being asked out. And don't ever, EVER let her read your Takes on here.

Congrats man. Happy for you. I know the feeling as I was a late bloomer and didn't start having luck with women till I was 21, granted I was a bit shy in the past and had a lack of opportunities.

All I can say is it's fine that you like her, just don't act overly eager around her or else that could scare her off. That is just from personal experience. I recently met a women who blew me away and we're still talking but I'm making sure I'm not coming off as too eager around her.

Now that doesn't mean to put in any effort of course.

You may get a yes now, but just wait until you ask for anal.

=]]

• More from Guys
    24