10 Things All Guys Should Know Before Going on a First Date

Hey Gagers, I'm back with another top 10 and guys, please take notes! :)

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

1. Don't bring up your ex

Especially if your date didn't ask about them. If you run your mouth about your ex saying good are bad things, your date will most likely think you've still got feelings for your ex.

2. Please have good hygiene

This is so not cool...keep it fresh guys. Shower of course, and please brush your teeth! Lol.

Tips: Wear a nice cologne but nothing to strong.

Bring a mint to keep your breath smelling fresh.

3. Don't be creepy

Guys do this a lot: you barely know the girl and you're calling her baby, boo etc. Okay, first of all it's creepy. You come off as a player and it's just overall not appropriate for a first date. Getting to know her name is a start, and make sure your remember her name too :).

4. Don't get all touchy-feely

This is pretty much creepy too. You're basically giving her a sign that you want to get in her pants. It's safe to ask first. Don't make your date feel uncomfortable.

5. Please listen

Don't make your date repeat themselves. At least act like your interested...or let it be known that your not.

6. Texting/Talking on the phone

Put your phone down fellas, unless it's very important and if so please excuse yourself. It's rude and it shows you're not interested.

7. Don't get too drunk

It's embarrassing and rude and just plain out wrong. Now how is your date going to get home? Guys, let's not go overboard with the drinks; it's not a good first impression.

8. Pay for your date

Yes, offer to pay at least, unless she wants to pay for herself, then fine. You asked her to go on a date with you, so you pay right? Riiight. ;)

9. Don't check out other girls

Like really -_-

Turn your thirsty ass around! Lol. All eyes should be on your date only. Once again, ruuude!.Please make her feel wanted and attractive and give her nice compliments.

10. Try not to bring up sex

On the first date? Oh hell no.Don't ask her sexual questions, making things awkward and uncomfortable. This will make her think that you just want to hit and quit. She doesn't care about your sex life just yet...well, if she gets curious maybe. Then she might just end up at your house after the date. :p

Lol I had fun with this. Yes there's always going to be disagreements but who cares these are my opinions. Overall guys, make your date smile and laugh, and treat her with respect, and don't forget to have fun.

Thanks for reading. :)

1752

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm. Mostly agree. Somewhat disagree when it comes to being touchy or any mention of sex. Once upon a time I thought the exact same thing. Then I started pushing and found out how often girls love it. She might not want to fuck you that night, but every girl wants to go out with a guy where the idea of sex is hot and exciting.

Most Helpful Girl

• In the past I did not like to make the guy pay. I would share costs. Nowadays if I like the guy I let him pay because the more he invests in me timewise and financially, the more likely he will be respectful to me at the sack and the more likely he will want to get serious. If I dont like the guy, I offer to go dutch or I pay if I see he's not in a good economic situation. For me a guy who is generous, is a guy who is confident in his capacity to provide and lead the relationship.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 51

• all good points.
    1) Unfortunately, most women will bring up ex's. I never once asked about an ex on a date unless I am forced into it.
    .
    6) I had a date with this woman that spent almost the entire 2 hrs on her phone. She had a poor excuse. When I thought I would give her a 2nd chance I texted her and said "maybe when your not so busy". her answer was "I am always busy". so I said good luck and moved on.
    .
    9) I find it hard to believe anyone would be stupid enough to do that on any date, much less first. If it happens, you can bet the best option is to just get up and leave. He is a moron.
    .
    10) I have had a rule since I started dating after my divorce that I never even say the word "sex" until she does. That rule has gotten me laid more often and faster then any other rule I have in place. Women have this stupid thing where they ask 'does he want sex or is he interested in me". The answer 99% of the time is both. Lucky for me that women in my age range are like men in their late teens and early 20's. They are very aggressive. The 3rd date is considered the sex date. All but 2 of the women I had sex with happened on the 3rd date. One was on the 4th and one was in place of a first date.

• I agree with all of these, but 8 is more complicated than that.

If I asked her out then I'm gonna pay, but if she doesn't even offer to pay for her part then that's a red flag cause I'm not interested in gold diggers. But if the date is mutually agreed on or she asked me out then I expect her to pay for her share. I'm gonna offer to pay for her when I know her well enough and want to do that for her, but I'm not gonna do it just because society says that I have to do it because I'm a guy.

• How is a date "mutually agreed upon?" Either someone asks/initiates or they don't.

• @pooper89 It's really not that complicated, but I can give you an example:

*A guy and a girl have been talking for a while*

Girl: You know you're really fun to be around

Guy: You too, maybe we should meet again sometime

Girl: Well you know I'm free tomorrow, maybe we should go somewhere?

Guy: Me too, I know this great coffee place, we could go there.

etc...

I mean in my opinion that's pretty much mutually agreed upon, instead of one person just straight up asking.

• Guys have to pay and girls have to give sex. Sorry, that's the rule...
    What? You don't think we are entitled to sex? Then you are not entitled to a free meal. You don't want to owe anything? Pay your share.

• Woman are not prostitute.

• Everyone who down voted missed the joke. Lol

• Sex has been throughout all of human history a business engagement. Women married men who their dad's sold them to and the men got sex and later children. Women got a steady income without working a job outside of the home and while this is less direct that was functionally prostitution. In the modern world men pay for dates and buy presents (men are expected to women can as far as social standards go) and women return the favor with sex so yeah pretty much every woman is a prostitute (prostitutes are usually cheaper though and yield no risk of not getting laid.)

• Do not agree with #8 at all.
    Why do i have to pay for your shit? I don't know you, i don't owe you anything. I mean, am i getting some pussy at the end of the night? Then I'll pay... but i don't even want sex on the first date. It says something about the girl.
    Paying for the girl's shit is the same as paying for her time and saying her time is more important than yours. F* that.

• I'm saying if you asked her out on a date then you should at least offer to pay. Ecspecially if the date is not so exspensive.

• Awe, you're so mad. LOL. :)

• @Twix005 Sings: "BABY I DON'T NEED DOLLA BILLS TO HAVE FUN TONIGHT [I LOVE CHEAP THRILLS]!" :D:D:D

• I'll only get touchy feely if i know it's ok. If you force it then it's creepy.

• Now all I need is to find a girl.

• I always go dutch on the first date so there is no pressure on either side.

When it comes to sex I have no timeline, if the vibe is right I go for it.

I agree with everything else. 👌

• Should be labeled "10 things all guys and girls should know before going on a date" because girls do this stuff too
    Except for that double standard paying for you crap lol have yet to meet a girl that hase ever offered and really ment it

• Oh My God...

When will some of these girls learn... how many more of these does someone have to post...

95% of us WON'T PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!

IT'S 2016!

• Yeah where are all the real in man 2016?
      The kind gentleman?
      Not these cheap boys with these lame excuses.

• @Twix005 if you "expect" him to pay for your stuff, then I hope you "expect" to open your legs for him on the first date as well. Same traditional values, same sexism. You are so entitled.

• @Kirah No man should expect a decent women to open her legs up for him on the first date paying or not paying... Guys should get to know a woman first before taking her out on a date anyways. So if he does pay for thier first date he will feel more better about it. What is wrong is man shouldn't feel that they need sex from a girl just cause he's paying for a first date. Men need to have more respect for women & stop dating wrong girls... that make them think like a fuck boy & that's real.

• I knew all this. Isn't it common sense? It disturbs me that it's not.

• I already knew these things

• Agree with all but number 8. If the girl was actually interested in me and not a free ride she wouldn't mind paying for herself. Girls want their cake and to eat it too nut will end up with neither.

• Women do No 6 far more than men do , I don't date as I'm a single dad , but if I did , I would walk off without a word if my prospective date was glued to her phone , that is the same as actually saying " F-off , you are boring !! " , the rest are common sense basics , no objection to paying if I invited her , she is my guest after all , but keep it simple & not OTT with expense as this puts pressure on both parties , on No 4 , I would maintain at least 3ft of distance from her & NEVER touch , unless she touched first. Overall a good take.

• Another "guys you need to treat me this way, i deserve to be treated this way as do all women as we are like princesses and you must be worthy of our presence" piece. Not that I necessarily disagree with anyone of this except the bill thing but the inherent nature of these types of takes is very narcissistic

• are women willing to follow the same steps
    i doubt that
    first date : free meal for women

• 1-2, both sexes.
    3 this is very subjective, I've had girls do this to me where I hate it, and other times where I love it.
    4. I'm guessing you mean overly intimately. Touching in a friendly manner shouldn't make you so uncomfortable.
    5-6 Yo girls, you are horrible at this.
    8. Hell no. I asked? So you are doing me a favor to accept my request? What is this?
    I did you a favor for being the one who asked when you women don't have the balls for it.(Don't mean to be mr angry face, but this is not the 1800s)
    9. One thing all guys and girls should learn. Just because we are together, that doesn't mean every other person in the world suddenly became ugly.
    People are beautiful. Not recognizing this is untruthful.

• What, the? I have to [at least offer to] pay and then there're are all these rules, what on earth is this? What does She have to do? [if anything]

• Be there cause you asked her to be.

• Yeah you can keep your advice to yourself because it's worthless. Why would I spend money on someone I don't know basically giving that persona free meal when I have no guarantee of getting anything from it and not I don't mean sex?

• @Twix005 Problem isn't spending some money. Let us ask, instead, why should she be worth the trouble? Is she doing a favor to me by going out with me?

What these sort of topics come down to eventually is "how you're suppose to be on equal ground.." and yade yade yade.

So how does this playschool routine work, exactly?

• The only thing that you should be concerned about is the point made in number 5
    LISTEN
    The first date is the only time you get to make a first impression and it is also the most effective way of getting to know what the other person is like.
    There is nothing worse than a disappointing date, but if you can listen to your date and learn as much as possible from them.
    You will make the best possible first impression that most people are not aware of, has a huge effect on the overall judgement they make about you

• These aren't so unreasonable. But, for some reason I feel like I would never want to date the girl who wrote this.

• #8 should be pick a date you don't have to pay for. Plenty of options exist and most guys will get less butthurt about it. And after that first date figure out who pays for who by yourselves, if you wanna get a strong relationship going you may have to iron out a few issues.

... im just pouring some gas on the fire cause I'm bored

• More from Guys
    31

What Girls Said 16

• Spot on sistaaa

• I don't agree with 8, just because the guy asked for the date shouldn't mean he's obligated to pay. She said yes and is mutually interested and needs to pay for her own meal. What if the girl asked the guy out? Does she have to pay for his meal now? That's basically saying that whoever asks who out first has to pay. It was fine in the olden days where men made more money and women were the ones to be "taken care of" but nowadays women want the same equality and respect as men and should be willing to do the same as he. Just because we are woman doesn't give us the right to be pampered. Men deserve it too or at least it to be equal give and take.

• All true.

• I disagree with #8. You're basically arguing "he asked me out, so he should pay". But in the same sentence, you also acknowledge that guys are expected to make the first move 100% of the time. It must be pretty easy to say "whoever invites, pays", when you never have to invite anyone!

Why not split the bill?

• Well im a shy girl so i dont ask guys out to be honest... but i believe on the first date if a man asked to take me out then yes it's expected. He wants to get to know me... he want my time. He wants to show me a good time. So yes the guy should pay... Now i wouldn't mind paying but it would be nice if he paid because he's the one taking me out. & if we dated again... i wouldn't mind paying for both of us.. I like gentlemen I don't know what kind of guys your into.

• Umm paying for my date is not impressing... you shouldn't have to impress anyone one on a date just be yourself if that's not impressing enough then I don't know what is. & at the end of the day there's still nothing wrong with a guy paying for a woman date. Escpecialy for a nice descent woman.

• So essentially.. He's paying for your time, because your time is worth more than him, right? Lol the mindset girls still have these days

• Word. 🙏👌

• I am so happy for the first one, don't your ex even if you were asked. My husband went on and on about his ex, what an idiot. He is so lucky I am so forgiving.

• paying on the first date mandatory? so cliche!

• Not mandatory... but generous & that's a plus.

• It's not mandatory hut if he doesn't pay he won't get another date. How is that not mandatory?

• Went on a date once with a guy who was obviously not well seasoned at this. Getting him to stop talking about the same subject was hard. He supposedly is new in town for work. When asked how long has he been in town, he said 2 years.

The bartender asked if he wanted another drink (we only had one each) he said no and asked for the bill but didn't care to ask me if i wanted more. Bill came, i asked if he would like me to help pay, he said "ok" :-O!!! I paid one half of the $22 bill. At the end, he wondered why I didn't want to suck face with him or even a hug. This all took less than 45 minutes from start to finish.

Men: dont be this guy, you will be single forever.

• You and i are going out on a date and this time we'll drink as much as you'd like and dance the night away. I'm getting that x and o's !!!

• @Trashay Wow, so you DO live up to your name. Your company is worth more than mine? I don't think so.

• You live up to your name. Women like you are so entitled and spoiled these days.. This isn't like the 1800s when women couldn't get jobs.

• Enjoyable take but I personally differ on the following.

01. I like people talking about their ex = MUCH immediate insight into them
    05. No one should have to feign interest. I leave if bored & so should they.
    08. I HATE people paying for me no matter how much they insist & get angry.
    10. Sex is part of why we are there so likes & dislikes NEED to be discussed.

• I agree, mostly, very good mytake :)

• Great take :)

• What will a guy then think if the girl is the one to bring up sex? Like make sex jokes, etc. Guys?

• I would ad that the guy should offer to pick her up for the date. Shows class

• Don't ask for a kiss.

• Smh. You men are really funny. After reading some of your responses it's not wonder why dildos were invented. I mean, If it wasn't for that other 5 percent ( since 95 percent of the male population rather continue to feel themselves ( and yes I did mean the pun)) I think most females would rather stay single, at least I would. If a guy has an issue with paying for a date or two, he has commitment issues. He is not trying to invest into any type of relationship with the female. Basically the female is his new shiny toy until something betters comes along.
    So glad I never had to deal with this. Good luck to you females out there. And men, next time you take a female out, think about how you would want a man to treat your daughter. Females you should be thinking that too. Because trust me if you end up sleeping with this guy and God forbid get pregnant...

• Why is it him who has commitment issues? Why isn't it her who should have to pay? We're not you own free food dispenser. Also, why is it such a problem for women to pay for their own goddamn meal?

• @MrNameless so because I am I female and believe I should have an opinion I am entitled? Or is it because I am a female and I have an opinion and men still offer to take me out that makes me entitled? So the only reason someone should ask me out is because I fail to use my brain in politically, socially, and economically beneficial way to improve my life and the lives of others around me. I am not sure if you really understand the concept of adulthood, because that's what being a adult is. Whether I am doing so at home and serving my community or I am doing so in the office. Does that make me a feminist, yes but not by the definition that you and many others use. Because by the definition I am using, I am not asking you to treat me like a man, I asking you for tools to better help my family, to be a better help mate for my husband.

• As an FYI: I never called myself a feminist or a traditionalist ( until last response). Do I believe I should be able to voice my opinion yes, does that hinder me from submitting to my husband, no. Do I feel that men and women have different roles within the family yes, should those roles be defined by outside forces, no. That is up for the couple to decided. Do I believe that men should make the first move, yes. Why? Because past experience have taught me that women who generally make the first move are considered assertive and men do not like overly assertive women, unless they are looking for someone to replace mommy. And yes I do believe that concept holds true for women. Any female that is just looking for a man to take care of her is looking for a daddy. But is it okay for a woman to except a man to show qualities that she find attractive while dating yes. For me one of those qualities is being generous. Is it okay for men to except the same thing, yes.

• I'm just here to see how butthurt guys are going to get about #8 :)