This might not be a typical office romance story, but most of the pros and cons I think of are.
First, a little background: I dated a guy from my office in secret for four months before anyone found out. Four months of perfect relationship solitude where no one in our workplace had any idea we were seeing each other outside of the office. We were both surprised we were able to keep it going so long without getting caught but shoot we weren't about to tell anyone lol.
Then suddenly one day - while we were out of town on a camping trip no less - we were busted! A group from work went the same time we did. We were all shocked to see each other there. Since my boyfriend and I were sharing a tent it was obvious we were together, so we didn't have any excuses. It was out of the bag at that point!
So, since then I've been dating a co-worker in public view of everyone in my workplace. It's as equal part fun as it is frustrating.
(1) Everyone knows your business - if he and I are arguing, or even having a bad day, everyone knows it. They all want to know what he did wrong or how I'm overreacting. It's difficult to find peace when all you really want is to be left alone.
(2) You don't have any "me" time - I don't want to sound silly here but in all seriousness every relationship does need it's alone time. When you work with your partner you really don't have that, you feel like you are with them all the damn time!
(3) Management disapproves - it's not breaking the rules since we are in separate departments, but it's obvious certain members of management aren't happy with us dating. Others could care less, but there are a few who find it irritating. We had to discover who those are and try not to appear together at work around them as juvenile as that may sound.
(1) You're constantly horny - OMG YES! Like most women I like a nicely dressed man, and my boyfriend really enjoys nicely dressed women. We are that and more everyday in our office; seeing the person you are most attracted to dressed so handsomely, well it's difficult not to want to undress them lol. Honestly I think no one is better at the "clothes half on-clothes half off" fuck than we are.
(2) Co-workers stick up for you - now the flip side to everyone knowing your business is, when you have a bad day they naturally assume it's his fault, and when he comes by they will give him grief for not treating me better. It's actually fun to watch him squirm, and it's even managed to secure me flowers on one occasion - even when he did nothing wrong lol
(3) I get to spend quality time with my man - I mentioned not feeling like you have alone time, but the plus to that is I do get a lot of quality time with my boyfriend. I get lunch with him whenever I want. When it's slow we take a long coffee break at a nearby Starbucks and spend time just being together. It's little intimate moments like that I couldn't have if I worked elsewhere.
It's challenging everyday, but with the right person - and the right situation - it can be worthwhile.