Why You Shouldn't Bother Being Creative With Your Gifts

There's no point in being creative or thoughtful when giving a gift to someone. Let me tell you a story as to why I believe that.

For a whole week, I kept searching for a Doraemon teddy but I couldn't find one for the life of me. During our late night conversation, I came to know that she likes and watches Doraemon so I thought it would be cute if I can get her a Doraemon teddy for her birthday.

She's my crush; we're not dating, just friends. She's single. She knows I like her but she wanted to be single as she broke up with her ex recently. She talks to her ex as well. He still likes her but she doesn't feel the same way, as she told me.

Finally the day before her birthday, I found a Doraemon teddy. It was almost midnight and the shop was getting closed, so they asked me to come the next day and I had to beg them for the teddy. I don't watch Doraemon, nor do I have any idea what it is, but that teddy meant a lot to me, more than it meant to her (more of that in a second), because I believed she'd love it.

So the day came. There was no party she told me; she may give her 2 best friends (both female) a treat but that's it. I handed her the gift and told her to open it once she gets home.

Later that night, she uploaded pics on Facebook of her and her friends and also her ex celebrating her birthday. I was a bit shocked because she told me there was no party. During our conversation later, she told me her ex planned the party and she had no idea about it.

Cool, I guess. She even wrote an essay about how great he is and how lucky she is to have him in his life. She didn't write anything about me except for a thank you. No problem, I did it to make her happy, nothing else. :/ But here's the thing: Her ex bought her a cake and gave her a teddy as well but a random one (nothing thoughtful or special), and gave her a necklace. All of them are typical random gifts that guys gift to girls. None of them hold any special meaning or have any story behind them. But she loved his gifts and my gift was okay-ish it seemed.

I'm not whining or bitching about it. :p I'm just saying that all that time and effort I spent to give her a gift that I thought would mean something amounted to absolutely nothing, in the sense that it didn't mean anything to her. If I would have given her a random teddy or a watch or a perfume, it would have been the same, I guess.

So therefore, don't make the same mistake I did. Don't spend your time and energy trying to be thoughtful/creative/meaningful with gifts. Doesn't really matter.

Thank you for reading. :)

Take care! And have fun!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

Save the creativeness when your in a realashionship, girls would really enjoy that kind of effort. She didn't want to get with you since she didn't seem to know if she still liked her ex. I'm sorry to say it, but you're the extra the guy on the side or backup.

:) 👍👍

I don't think your mistake was being creative with your gift, it was who you gave the gift to.

What Guys Said 6

Right idea, wrong girl.

Not everyone will refuse to appreciate such effort, I promise. ;)

I'm not creative, so I would be doomed if I had to be creative with gifts.

Sorry to hear that buddy. Hope you find someone who will appreciate your efforts, they are out there I'm sure :)

I don''t think any of your story has anything to do with being creative about a gift. And buying a stuffed animal isn't very creative of a gift idea. When you think about it, buying a stuffed animal that you know a girl likes, is about as generic of a gift as one can get.

Not in this case. It wasn't just some random teddy. Her ex gave her a random teddy that you can find in any shop. Mine's not the same thing if you read the story :)

Thank you for your 2 cents by the way.

Yeah sorry that happened that must feel real bad but the problem was the girl. If you have someone that cares and loves you they would appreciate what you did a lot.

I agree :)