Need Some Tried But True Dating Advice?

Need Some Tried But True Dating Advice?

1. GET OUT!

If you're spending half your time complaining about how no one ever loves, likes you, thinks you're attractive, and on and on, and yet you haven't left the house on a Saturday night in three months, how the hell are people supposed to find you? You have to go out on the scene...to actually...be seen!

2. Know Your Worth

I don't care what anybody says, or what anyone tries to tell you that you are or aren't, the person who knows you best, is you. If someone wants to say you're not this or that, or you're too much or too little of this or that for them, f--k em', or rather don't f--k em' because it's so much better to use your time and energy on guys or girls who get it, and get you, not people who want to change you or want to deny your sheer awesomeness.

3. Say Something

Ever stood there thinking...well, the book says, I should wait 3 days to text her if I like her, or maybe he'll think I'm too needy if I call him. What are you five? If you like someone and it seemed like you both had a good time on a date, then call or text or email them. Why do you need to wait? Are you a ghost? Why are you trying to act all mysterious!?! If someone is offended or turned off by you letting them know you had a good time with them and subsequently want to have more good times with them in a timely fashion, maybe they're an idiot, and you should move on.

4. Time Waits For No One

So let's say, you did call/text after the date and it's a week later, no response, and you call again, and get one line of text about how he or she is soooo busy. Then they reschedule, and reschedule, and...okay, yup, now is the time to say, nope.com. This is especially true if it's now 6 weeks later and you get a text asking if you're available. Um, you were....six weeks ago...but you know, now you're soooo busy with trying to meet new people who actually value your time.

5. Don't Take Advice From People Who Have Terrible Relationships (or none at all)

It's so weird how some of your friends who have the worst relationships have something to say about yours or how you should date. It's cool if someone wants to tell you to learn from their mistakes, but not cool if that person continuously ends up in the same bad patterns, but then wants to sit you down and tell it like it is. How can they tell it like it is if they can't even tell what their own it, is?!?

6. Keep An Open Mind

We all have the list of one through twenty things we must have in someone we want to date long term, and heaven forbid, if that other person does not check off all those boxes, oh boy! Yes, there are going to be non-negotiables for you...she hates dogs and you have four of them...he's a smoker, and you're sooo not...but you know you're not perfect, you can't expect others to be. Have that list in mind, but relax it up a little otherwise you may be missing out on some really good people.

7. Don't Lie About Yourself

If you go into a relationship lying about yourself, making up stuff, and denying certain truths about who you are, what happens when the person you're dating falls in love or like..with the lie? You can't then be mad down the road when they don't like "the real you," because they never knew who that person was to begin with.

8. Don't Spend All Your Money

If you're serial dating, it can be exhausting, and expensive. Really think about why you think it's important to continuously blow all your cash on people, many of whom, you never see again. If a person seems to be after your cash, avoid, avoid, avoid. Do some free stuff. Cook a meal. Take a walk on a beach.

9. If you're not having fun, take a break

So many dates, so much of your time, no keepers...take a break. Sometimes you do need to be able to say, I need some me time, and then take it. Dating can be really fun. It can be fun to meet up with new people, with new interests, that seem interested in you, but it can be a lot too, especially if you're dating a lot. Just remember, not to stay in this place for too long.

10. Do Something Different

Dating can get a little formulaic and routine, but if you've fallen into a dating slump, do something different. Try something out of the box, and out of your comport zone, even if that something is upgrading yourself. You'd be surprised what a new hair color, and different type of dress, or going to a different type of concert can do to shake things up.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

Such privilege...

It's true you have to go out but my issue is that I'm short. Standing at 5'3 even women that are close to that height or even shorter like 5'0 have disqualified me. So I often feel it doesn't matter if they think I'm good looking as my height will always prevail over anything else. Society has been cruel to me.

Trust me when I say, I believe you in that the struggle is real for those that fall into your position, but at the end of the day, if you want sex, if you want to date, if you want a relationship, or marriage, you, like everyone else, has to keep trying and keep going out. You can face a hundred rejections, but you just need one really good yes.

As a single dad that works FT , dating is not for me... to be honest , as often too tired , simply can't be bothered , not bitterness , just plain frazzled !! Also I do prefer my own company & crave alone time.

Great advice in that take

Great take. Another point you might wanna add is don't date someone on the rebound or is newly single. I made that mistake again recently but didn't find out she was newly single till after our first date.

It relates to points 3 and 4 but it was weird because we kept in contact through texting and social media between our first 2 dates, that had a 3 week gap in between, but when I'd ask to meet up, she'd say she's busy and wouldn't reschedule. Hot and cold behavior can really mess with you.

But being rebounded can mess you up especially of you're looking for a relationship and are genuinely interested in the person.

Rebounds are so hard especially if, as you've said, you feel so invested in the other person, but they are still behind on their last relationships feelings. It's definitely wrong place, wrong time.

She didn't really mention or complain about her ex like the first girl who rebounded on me but she was acting hot and cold. It made me over analyze a lot. Then She started showing more interest and asking to hang out more and then after sex on our last date, she ditched me and plans to go to a concert afterwards got cancelled.

It's like while I might have gotten laid, I still felt used and even though I saw a few women after her, I didn't really felt like I clicked with them outside of physical attraction.

I also think being rebounded, even if it only lasts a short amount of time, can put you in the rebounders shoes. They'll drag you down with them except they'll move on to the ex or someone they find better then you become sad, angry, jealous and bitter then try to find someone else to get over them and it sucks being in that position.

Have any human being ever thought of taking advice from those who don'y have bad relationship and how did they make it work?
    Logically you can't just fall in love and live happily after with no efforts or ups and downs.
    I have a very happy relationship with my wife and most people who asked us roll their eyes when we tell them to put a plan B on your relationship and not on how to escape or where. But meh people don't have the time to have a real talk and open up to understand how really a relationship works

So only people who are currently in relationships understand what they're talking about? I've had plenty of relationships. My experience doesn't just go away because I'm not currently braindead from oxytocin. That's another thing. People in relationships are basically high on love. They're inebriated, so their advice will be biased often.

That's like saying don't take advice from a nonsmoker (who may or may not have been a huge smoker) about smoking. I also know a lot about drugs, but is my advice and experience about drugs worthless, because I don't do them anymore?

People in *bad* relationships, okay. But experience doesn't become irrelevant the moment you're single.

Let's go back up there and re-read that shall we. If you've been single your whole life, what advice can you give someone who's dated and wants dating advice. That's one. Two, that bullet point is about people who are continuously in bad relationships. We all know those people who stay in bad relationships, and move from one bad to the next. Doesn't seem prudent to seek advice from people like that.

Good take. *thumbs up*

>_>
      <_<
      :)

#5 says in plain English, "Don't Take Advice From People Who Have Terrible Relationships (or none at all)" It's literally right there in the title. And secondly, to quote myself again, "It's cool if someone wants to tell you to learn from their mistakes, but not cool if that person continuously ends up in the same bad patterns, but then wants to sit you down and tell it like it is. How can they tell it like it is if they can't even tell what their own it, is?" It's pretty clear. How can someone give you good advice if they, themselves end up in repeated bad patterns... meaning always date an abuser, a user, a loser.

11. Don't take any advice from articles like these

12. Don't take dating advice from a woman.

Both tried but true.

Interesting😇 but ummm yea

I like this it's very well written and honest haha.

What Girls Said 5

sound advice

This is all excellent advice! Great Take! :D

I agree that youshould keep your options open, and be willing to compromise which is why I think that dating more than one person at a time (no sex until a relationship is established) can be very sensible. Your only finding out who is and isn't compatible with you. I agree with everything else apart from part of number 5. Just because people haven't had a relationship doesn't necessarily mean that they will give you bad advice. We can empathize with others. It maybe true about people who have had terrible relationships, some of them learn from their mistakes.

#1--Decades of experience kind of trumps 3 months, you know?

After a while, you just give up. Normal and average people don't understand this, though--they can't really relate.

I use to date but I wasted my time on so many assholes so I have not dated in 3 years and the only person I care about is myself.

dito, m, 45

If that makes you happy, then so be it. It's your life, and you've got to live it the best way you know how.

Yep i have officially stopped giving a fuck