Everyone should try dating someone of a different race, faith, or culture.

Everybody has a type, and the vast majority of us will end up dating several if not multiple people to varying degrees before meeting the person that we'd potentially spend the rest of our lives with. As times continue to change and mutual acceptance between different groups of people increases it is becoming increasingly common to see relationships develop between people who are of a different background from one another. Even in this day and age there are still many challenges that this brings, but at the same time dating outside your background can be a very rewarding experience that can teach us all several very important lessons.

You will become more accepting of others

This one is a given. To make any relationship work, you'll first have to accept the other person for who they are. For many people, accepting someone of a different background is fairly easy, but to be able to pursue romance with that specific someone can be a whole new step outside one's comfort zone.

You learn to not care so much about what other people think

Even though in modern times the vast majority of Western civilization is open and accepting of interracial relationships, there is still a vocal minority of people who still find it difficult to adjust to. Heads still turn, and in my personal experience I've even been spat at for holding hands with a dark skinned girl. Over time one learns to not let things like this get to them, at the end of the day only your opinion matters to you.

You broaden your horizons

Not everyone in the world is the from the same background as you. Opening yourself up to people of different backgrounds increases the amount of options you have, and in turn increases your chances of finding the right person.

You give yourself the opportunity to explore a new culture

Exploring and learning about a different culture is always a positive experience that is not only interesting, but makes you a better and more well rounded person in many ways.

You realize that at the end of day, love is all that matters

When you truly love someone, it's the individual that you fell in love with. Not what they own, not where they come from, not their skin color, but who they are and their raw personality.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 25

• People shouldn't date someone of a different race just because they're of a different race, though. That would be stupid, While I do agree that interracial dating is a positive thing that nobody should feel ashamed of/judged for, it's really not like everyone HAS to date someone who's of a different race. I think you could have worded that better, since interracial dating shouldn't be forced onto other people (just like any other form of dating).

• I don't believe any specific type of relationship should be pushed onto other people. Therefore, my only disagreement with you here is your wording that everyone "should" date someone different. I think people should have the freedom to date whomever they choose whether it's someone of the same background or someone of a different race, religion, culture, etc. There's nothing wrong with dating people who are similar to oneself and there's nothing wrong with dating people who are different either. It's a personal decision.

• I've always been open to other races but like you've said, people have their types. Most people go for their own race or assume other races wouldn't be interested in other races. No black or Asian guy has ever been interested in me whilst it's always white guys who are interested!

I liked your take though.

• can i still categorize my sex tapes as interracial if i'm half white? does that count?

• I'm not really a fan of cheeseburgers and mayonnaise

• I dated an Indian guy for nearly a year... I loved him for who he was. He told me I could not be in a proper relationship with him because of his culture... I never met his family. I am heartbroken and all because I can never 'fit in' to his way of life... actually mixed race/faith relationships can be incredibly difficult.

• I am a white woman dating a black man. you can't help who you fall in love

• Though I greatly understand your thought, I'd hate to be used as someone's "experiment". I happen to mostly interracial date solely because most of the guys I meet and happen to mesh with aren't my race, not becauae they are of a different race or culture. I do believe everyone should be open to dating others

• Agree. I wasn't open to it. Out of pure fear. Then I met a perfect match on eharmony (not an ad) but he was Latino. I'm Black. I was like- no. "they" don't like "us". So I clicked by his profile for 2 weeks. While I chatted with fail after fail. Finally my 20 year old said mommie - just say hi. I did. We went through a whirlwind of emails. Then calls. A Few months later he flew out here. A year later he moved here. I've met his whole immediate family. Love them. It's the best relationship I've had. It's not *because * of his culture or race, but feel despite it and my pre conceived notions. So just be open to someone outside your race who yes----- you vibe with.

• Disagree. It won't work out.
    Let's be real about this.

• That's honesty! Not a lot of people want to admit, it won't work out because the differences are too great.

• They work out. There are plenty of interracial relationships that work. The difference is they were started because the people had things in common. Not "just because" they were this or that race. Me and my boyfriend's differences as well as commonalities are what make our relationship great.

• or some animal like cow, horse, dog or cat. I could date some virus. just become a monk or nun will ya?

• The only problem is when it gets serious and a few years down the track you find out they don't want to ever marry you because their family doesn't approve. Both myself and 2 of my friends have experienced this with interracial dating, so I would be very weary of recommending it to people who are looking for a long term partner.

• I have to agree with this only because of what I've seen with my own eyes. My good friend is Caucasian, and she married a man from Haiti. His family doesn't really accept her and she always feels left out or not wanted because they don't accept her.

• But, that isn't everyone's reality! If you really live someone, no one can stop you from committing, family included!

• Or they could have a friend or a coworker or a neighbor or a roommate...

• Why do you need to date? How about you just start broadening your social circle and including people from all backgrounds? You don't need to date someone in order to love them. I love my friends. I just don't have sex with them.

• Date who you want. Nobody gets hurt.

• I don't see the problem with interracial dating. I'm a white girl and I'm really attracted to hispanic men. Interfaith dating, I wouldn't recommend tbh, unless you're willing to compromise your beliefs. I fell in love with a guy who's religious views were like the polar opposite of mine.. it was very complicated.

• No. Nobody "should" try dating anyone they aren't interested in. Nobody "should" date at all unless they want to.

• Oh please, can we please stop with this brainwashing nonsense. This is the path to misery, and these couples don't last and are not happy. Black guys want white girls to treat them badly and take out their hate on - I've seen it over and over. White girls want black guys so they can feel evolved and benevolent and always act better than them. Get REAL.

• I wouldn't necessarily say people should date people of a different race, faith, or culture though it wouldn't be bad if more people were open to it.

Some people just have a preference and want to stick to their roots and ther is nothing wrong with that. The only time when it becomes a bad thing is of someone was to actually turn you down because you are a specific race whether you're white, black, Asian, hispanic, Indian, etc or if they tunred you down becuase they think they are better than you and your racial background. We can't force people to date outside their tace becuase we all like what we like however it wouldn't be a bad thing.

As for faith for some people it goes with their culture and many people are very religious. Some people are accepting of their significant other having a different belief than them, but like I said some people are cultural and they just can't be satisfied in a relationship or life commitment to someone that different beliefs than them. Some people would expect their partner to change their beliefs and you just can't fight fire with fire. Not to mention once their parents get envolved it will really heat up. While some people have been convinced to change their religion but obviously they were aware that they had doffereent beliefs from the start and put that aside.

Now with different cultures that is actually a good one and I could name a million good things about discovering and understanding someone else's hitstory, racial background, adapting things from one another's cutlure, etc but some people just aren't open to it, stuck in their ways, possibly racist, or someone else is accepting of them to teach them or let them experience this with them.

Like I said it would be great if we could just get all of this racial stuff out in the open so we can eliminate it for good and all get along and find the person that's truly right for us, but we can't force it on people.

• I did dated Tunisian, American, My Race, Turkish etc but I did find dating is just a wast of time

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 30

• "Everyone should try dating someone of a different race or faith..."

Nah.

• For those who don't want to date interracially for some reason... one can have friends of other ethnic groups and get similar cultural benefits.

• I've got no intention of purposely dating from people I have 0 attraction whats so ever, its not that I don't like them or anything I just have never been attracted to anything other then white women. If someday I am attracted to a more exotic women I'll be sure to explore that but until then I don't see the point.

• I would have no problem dating someone of different ethnic origin. I am a white male, but I find women of color quite attractive!

• Look you shouldn't date someone for their race alone. Just like you shouldn't date someone for their looks only. What he's/she's trying to say is don't let their be barriers to potential partners. If you're not attracted to black people cool no problem. but if you're basing that off the fact that they're black then you're doing yourself and them an injustice. "Political correctness" has made it so that anybody even talking about race becomes racist, which is retarded. We should be able to discuss these issues without the fear of being labeled.

• People should date people they are attracted to and enjoy being around. That's it. Dating someone else because they are of a different race, religion, etc. is demeaning--it treats them like some*thing* to experience, not a person to be loved. Cultural tourism at its worst.

• There's nothing wrong with my race or my culture so I don't understand this mentality. I can be accepting of other races and cultures without destroying my own.

• How is dating someone outside of your race destroying anything?

• @Red_Doctor - well when more people have mixed race kids and people change your culture to accommodate others, eventually your race and your culture will be unrecognisable. For example in Britain white British people are a minority in their own capital city, and the culture is unrecognisable to what it used to be.

• No! People should date who they mesh well with. I'm so tired of this preoccupation people have with race, culture, religion, etc.

Nobody should intentionally date a person with a particular trait, JUST to experience that person. This can be done in one's everyday life just by not closing themselves off to people that are different from them. But you're actually suggesting a forced relationship like this? Come on, man. I really hope you haven't treated someone like this- as if they're some kind of novelty?

• @capncool You make some good points, I think a more appropriate title could be "Everyone should be open to dating..."

• So basically I should waste my time with a girl I know I'm not interested it?

• I agree with all this, always thought Asian and African/black women were veeeeery intriguing.

• A better title would have been date someone you like regardless race, culture, or religion.

• Right. That would have avoided all the comments about the semantics of the article title.

• First, everyone is different, or more precisely, everyone cannot be totally the same with any other one, so it is up to you to determine how is "different". Someone think different religious faith means different, someone think different political affiliation means it, maybe someone think different sport hobbies means different, maybe someone think different view on arts means different, etc. It is a totally personal affair to determine that scale.
    Second, I am from East Asia, and White girls are my preference, because I love European-Israeli culture/Judeo-Christian faith. I may also date non-White girls with same opinions on culture, but I will never date any girl who have different views on faith or culture, even if she is a White.

• Too bad. Iam too ugly to have a gf. Enjoy your life while your looks last.

• People shouldn't have to try anything if they don't want to.

• I wish to see more white males-black female couples more. But looks like it's mostly white females-black males, and that looks to be increasing as days pass.

• I see the point you're trying to make and it's great, but it just doesn't work for me who really need partners that share a lot in common with us. Especially for people with my personality type (ISTJ), compatibility and keeping everything the way we are comfortable with is a very high priority. So while it would be interesting to try something uncharted, it wouldn't work well for someone like me in reality.

• I'm chinese and I love dating outside of my race and culture. In fact, I couldn't picture myself with a chinese girl, something about it just seems weird to me, it's like I already know half of what about she's about. I wanna have someone that 'completes' the other half of me. All the girls I've dated were non Asians and I have no problems meshing with religious girls as long as they're not westboro baptist crazy. I can respect everything she does for her religion but the real obstacle would come with our childs. I wouldn't want my child to be grown up religious.

• People tend to date people who have things in common. Dating someone from a different culture would be difficult. Of course, there are exceptions.

• I'm giving this a word. "Diversi-fuking." Years ago it was said to learn of other cultures you travel the world. Now we're telling girls to learn about culture spread your legs and hope he uses a condom. what the hell kind of things are we trying to convey here?

Don't sleep with people you're not into isn't a bad rule, it's not racism and it's not prejudice. Having sex with someone you're not into doesn't help you learn their culture. It helps you learn their orgasm.

I had sex with a Russian girl a while back and I can honestly say I didn't learn one word of her language. She yelled my name in English quite fine.

• But in the title he said "try dating" not fucking but yea I once fucked an cuban
      /Puerto Rican and the only word I learned was "ohh papi" *dusts off shoulder* 😏

• HAHAHA But why "try" dating if you're already certain you're not going to like it. For me the dream girl would look like snow white. With the dress! The creamy yellow white face, big eyes, bangs and short hair and a huge rack. So given the fact that if I'm with a girl I wouldn't want to keep it's just unfair for me to keep tapping that knowing as soon as anyone with any of those features can get me to drop her cold.

Seriously this is all just brainwashing the people welcome conflicts and problems instead of advancing by knowing what they want.

• More from Guys
    10