10 Ways to Ruin a First Date

A first date is an opportunity to get to know someone better. It’s an introduction of sorts - an interview in which the questions go both ways. Therefore, to make a good first impression, it is imperative that you are on your best behavior, so never, ever do the following on a first date:

10 Ways to Ruin a First Date

1. Show Up Late

You don’t want to show up too early on a date, but showing up late is much, much worse. Unless you are stuck at work or have a family emergency, show up on time. If you have a valid reason for showing up late, at least have the decency to call your date ahead of time and give him or her an ETA. No one likes to wait.

2. Talk about the Ex

Your date may wonder what type of boyfriend or girlfriend you would be; however, he or she does not want to hear about your past relationships. Don’t mention what your ex did for a living, or how he or she broke your heart. And, if you have any regrets, definitely keep mum about them. The only thing your date will take away from a conversation about your ex is that you are not ready to move on.

3. Delve into Your Financial Situation

Talking about your huge salary is as bad as talking about your huge debt. Although it’s often inaccurate, people tend to make assumptions about a person based on his or her financial situation. You’ll either end up looking like a braggy asshole or an irresponsible loser.

4. Complain Too Much

Your first date isn’t a therapy session, so don’t treat it like one. No one wants to listen to a whiner. If you sit there and complain about your job, your meal, the waiter, your date will label you as someone who’s hard to please.

5. Drink Too Much

Having a drink can help you loosen up, but you don’t want to drink so much that you lose all your inhibitions. If you are drunk, you will most likely end up saying and doing something you will regret. You don’t want your date to see all of your faults in one night.

6. Lie

Yes, you want to impress your date, but don’t exaggerate or embellish. Your date wants to know more about you, the real you. If you want to impress, simply let him or her see you at your best. You can only carry on a lie for so long.

7. Look at Your Cellphone

Put your phone away. Checking your phone messages during a date is rude. By doing so, you are telling your date that he or she doesn’t deserve your full attention.

8. Forget to Ask Questions

It’s good to open up and let your date learn more about you, but you should also ask questions. You are there to learn more about your date, as well.

9. Talk about Anything Gross

Diseases, rashes, bowel movements - these are all topics you should avoid during a first date. They all come with horrific mental images that are difficult to erase, especially when you don’t know someone that well.

10. Discuss the Distant Future

As stated before, the first date is an introduction. The goal is to leave the date feeling like you know the person a little bit more than you did at the beginning of the date and vise versa. However, even if your date is going well, stay in the moment. Enjoy yourself. Remember, you aren’t even an item yet. Serious discussion topics like marriage and children are meant for serious couples.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• sounds spot on, but what happens when they are overly shy?

• Shit yourself?

• Thank God. I just had a first date, I was nervous as hell, but I didn't do any of those! Just had a sigh of relief after reading this haha

• Thank you. I'll be sure to try some of these out

• I went on a date with a girl who kept pulling out her cellphone and kept saying, "I really have to take this, it's my best guy friend." I found tat really annoying and disrespectful.

• lol not gonna lie iv'e done #1,4,& 9.

• couple of months ago i went to go meet a girl for coffee. she ended up sitting there and texting a lot. So bored out of my mind I said I had to get going and apparently she wanted to meet up again and I told her no thanks. I know to keep my phone away in my pocket. never did I once check it while I was there but she kept seeming to do so every minute so that a bad impression in my mind lol

• Thanks good take. I'll try these tricks in future. ;)

• This is actually a pretty useless take.

• You nailed it!

• Solid advice. I would add one. Groom yourself like you are doing a scene in a movie with a close - up for nomination for best leading male actor, because you are.
    Nails clean and trimmed evenly. Eyebrows separated and trimmed evenly. Sideburns equal length.
    Hygiene is an indication of character. She will see anything out of place. A wild nose hair, dry skin, uni brow, an uneven nail and so on. She can't help herself. She does the same thing looking at herself 24/7 365.
    Don't worry yourself about little imperfections though do try to make an impression that you care.

• "24/7 365"

There aren't 365 weeks in a year... you can say 24/365 or 24/7/52

• Don't shower for a week
    Don't brush your teeth for 2 weeks
    Talk about your x and all the drama while explaining you hate drama
    Pick your nose and eat it
    Explain how most of your family members are current members of the KKK
    Instead of laughing say "lol"
    Pick your feet
    Tell them you think George W Bush was the greatest president America ever had
    Tell them you breast fed till you were 14 years old

• Breastfeed til 14. Good one.

• Yeah, those would ruin a date, too. Yuck!

• I usually save all this good stuff for the 3rd or 4th date.

• Another one... don't fart in the middle of a conversation.

@Ihave2fart

• can i somehow save this take to come to it when i need it? is here a favorites list or something?

• You can follow it. Just clock on the yellow Follow button above. You can find your Follows on your Profile/Follows pages.

• Awesome Take!
    i will keep all of these in mind on my next date!

• ALL Women Lie

• Sometimes it's fun to talk about gross stuff. Girls with a sense of humor are attractive. But I do agree you have to gauge it carefully.

• never actually went on a formal date date type date before

What Girls Said 6

• See, this why I do not fit in anywhere. Though, I am an avid rule follower.
    I don't think it's right that there's always these do's and don'ts on what to do or not to do on a first date (or any date for that matter). I think a lot of the stuff on these lists are just common knowledge. It's just stuff you should know not to do anyway. Like 5, 6 and 7. You shouldn't have to tell people not to drink too much, lie about stuff and look at their cell phone constantly. This just common knowledge things they should know not to do anyway.

And, what you said in 2 and 10. I don't agree with. You said a first date is to get to know someone better. So, don't you think it's best to ask the tough questions to help you accomplish that goal. I mean, how would me knowing he had a dog name skip who chased his tail all the time, help me know if were compatible or not? I think, you should ask about marriage and children and ex's and broken hearts. That's the stuff that matters. Why waste your time or their time or risk a broken heart by avoiding the tough stuff. The person having a broken heart, is apart of there life journey and I'm going to want to know that. Them wanting to marry and have kids, I'm going to want to know that too. It's something I want and if they don't want that, why would waste my time on a date number 2. Makes no sense. Guess I'm just weird lol.

• You're actually onto something with those tough questions.

Turns out, that's one of the biggest ways to fall in love fast. You start off with light impersonal questions and then you delve deeper.

www.nytimes.com/.../...ve-with-anyone-do-this.html

• That's good stuff

• I totally agree with you that these are the kinds of questions that you want to find out the answers to on a date. BUT... I think that it "plays" better if you wait for the other person to ask you for the details rather than just spilling everything forth. You could make a brief mention, and let them ask for details. You also want to keep things fairly matter-of-fact and not get overly emotional about it, and definitely don't gush about someone else while you're on a date!

I'm sure you already know this, being pragmatic about wanting information for compatibility (yay! I talk about this ALL the time!), but others may not know...

• That's not a date. More like a mates' hangout.

• Good advice lol

• Waaaah I always bring up #10

• These points are pretty spot on. I once went on a date with a guy who wouldn't stop talking about his ex. It completely killed whatever interest I had in him. I also went on a date with a guy who was pretty desperate and was talking about taking a trip together on the first date when he barely knew me. Needless to say I let him down after that.

• Hate it when guys start ask for another date, almost immediately!!!