Have you ever gotten emotionally close to someone you only know from the internet? Did you ever meet?

Have you ever made an online friend you've gotten emotionally close to? How far away did they live, and did you ever meet?

I've been talking to this guy from the uk. I'm from the us. He is definitely who he says he is but until we meet, if ever, I don't truly know him. It's quite risky I'm finding to be emotionally close to him with so much unknown about him in person. We video chat but it's just not enough.

Most Helpful Guy

• Two times for me, both girls i loved.

The first girl i met by accident. I often watched video's from certain lets players and discovered they had a teamspeak. In the teamspeak i met her and we became very close very fast. She was the first girl i ever fell for. In fact we where so close so similar in our personality that i could read her mind just by thinking what i would do. Sadly her behavior changed and she started pushing me away i have never spoken to her since.

The second girl i met in an online chat room. Since i got used to meeting girls online in geeky chatrooms at this point it wasn't as much of a surprise as with the first girl. With her i grew an emotional bond so strong that even though we didn't knew each other for that long it felt like i have known her my entire life. Like she is my lost sister. This girl i have actually met in real life after wards. And with her (and assume with most genuine people you meet online) there was no difference as to talking to her online trough voice or video chat (Not feeling wise , not subject wise , not behavior wise). Even though we figured out it wouldn't work because of the distance and the fact she already has a boyfriend i still deeply love her and our bond remains strong. She is the best friend i could have had but i did have to let my feelings and hopeful expectations go of ever having a shot at becoming her boyfriend.

The first girl was harder to reach then the second. The second being around 4 hours away from me. The first would have been impossible to reach without a plane or a boat.

From my experiences if your used to chatting to him online, you know him very well and you have a realistic image of what to expect there is no reason why you have to stop feeling close to him. Just know that on the internet things can go faster then you would like (I lost friends very rapidly and gained other ones just as fast) and that the distance could make a relationship impossible in case you fall in love.

What Guys Said 2

• Ironic really, as I have an online girl who chats most evenings, and she is American, Texas to be precise. And I am from the UK. We have never met, and probably won't, but we do have a giggle, and she is so pleasant, it would be hard not to have emotions about her, but as far as meeting, we both agree that it will happen if its meant to. x

• Lots of times. Never met.

What Girls Said 5

• Though I have gotten pretty close to some people online it's basically just on a friend level nothing more.

And even if u began to have emotions for anyone online I'm a bit scared to meet them I'll probably end up on Catfish...

• Deffo! I think someone's words are enough to get attached to them even if you don't meet them in live.We basicly are our thoughts, and are toughts we express trough words, which we can write on our keyboards.So yea.

• I don't think i will able to. It doesn't work for me.
    I believe in communication; not virtual communication. Real communication. I need to see the person.
    We are creating characters on internet and they are not even real.

• Nope, I'm not trying to be on the show Catfish.

• I actually have some great friends from the net world.

While I've never met any of them, I wouldn't be against meeting them either... hang out, grab a few drinks, go to a concert, relax on the beach, whatever we can think of.