Anyone ever been told they are "too good to be true?"?

I've been told this and find it very odd as I have spent most of my life single.

Like when I was committed for the short time I was this girl told me that I was too good to be true and she didn't want to screw anything up like even saying the wrong thing or something. She also said she was afraid that I'd leave her for a better girl.

Granted I broke up with her later on because there were too many issues with her. What attributes to someone being "too good to be true?"

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, it's usually a bad thing because they're putting you on a pedestal and will hate you later for not being the perfection they expected you to be even if from the beginning you are honest about who you are etc. I feel like men (and women) who do this are looking for someone to come into their life and just make everything better which is unfair and unrealistic. Not gonna go into boring details but I've been told that I was everything the guy was looking for etc when he knew nothing about me at all, we had had just two polite dates. And countless times I've gotten "No, that's so not like you; you're ____" and it's something I either specifically said I was in the beginning or at least never hid. They just don't want to accept any flaws; I'd run from people like that so probably a good thing you left that girl, as I'm sure it was part of her issues...

What Girls Said 5

• She finally thought she found herself a good guy because of how you presented yourself AT THAT TIME. But in realty she didn't know you well enough to determine that (no pun intended). SHe jus thought you were a genuine good guy that's all.

• I'm not sure why some people are considered too good to be true. I haven't been told those exact words, but I've been told something along the lines of "you seem perfect and I'm trying and failing to find a fault in you".

• You are amazing in every way

• Yes. It just makes me think they don't know me well enough let.

• Yea this was definitely way early into things. In fact, she wanted commitment on date 1 and wanted my dating profile down and we like... just sat down at the table.

• Yea... this wasn't a case of my being commitment-phobe. This was her being commitment-holic.

• Um yes lol. I think if the "too good to be true" line comes out to quick it's one hell of a red flag.

• Yes, but it's hard to believe them because it sounds like some cheesy line to get all rated R. I don't do that.

• Well I don't think she was looking for that. But it did seem like her hopes were high for something.

• Maybe she's been through a lot that she thought "finally a guy that's perfect!" That's what I would think.

What Guys Said 2

• Yep, mainly because I was apparently 'too nice' and never had arguments in relationships... Oddly she was saying it like it was a bad thing, I think she thought I was someone who didn't have firm beliefs or stand up for my own opinions and was basically a 'yes man'. It wasn't that at all, I still had opinions I just wasn't a dick about anything. In the end she seemed to get 'bored' from the lack of drama in the relationship... I also get told by ex girlfriend how I was the nicest guy they ever dated, yet they won't date me again. Odd.

• i was told that too once and yeah it didn't last. but that was because she wanted me to have a kid with her after out first date

• Oh damn... and I thought this girl wanting dating profiles down was rushing things.

• at least you met someonein person fro, m online who was interested in you