What does taking a relationship break mean?

If your significant other told you they needed space to figure things out, what would you think of it? Break-up or break?

Most Helpful Guy

• It means that the requesting partner has met someone who appears more interesting or that partner wishes to seek someone more to their liking. But meanwhile that partner wants insurance against a possible new romantic flame not working out. In other words, the person receiving the request is seen as an emotional cushion and not a serious match, and this person should do some shopping around of his/her own and use the requesting person as an emotional cushion as well.

• Lol, I try to condense things; no one wants to read like for...ever.: )

What Guys Said 7

• Everytime I hear of this it ends up just being a long drawn out breakup.

• in my experience, it meant I was toast

• "I think we should take a break" = "We're done". In my mind at least, that's what it means.

• From personal experience it means break up to me. But everyone is different..

• i'd take it as just a break. if they mean a break-up, they should say it straight up

• I personally would just use it as a time to take a break and spend some alone time.

But for some reason every chick I ever dated who did this was just looking to fuck other people for awhile.

• From personal experience "I think we should take a break" can mean a full on Break Up... or a break.

Usually it's a break up though.

What Girls Said 4

• To me a break in a relationship is just spending less time with eachother to regain the "flame" and if it doesn't work out after that then it's a breakup.
    I think a relationship is only allowed 1 break for ever 2 years of being together.

• It means i just broke up with, but be avaliable just in case i want to come back

• Ask Ross and Rachel. They were on a break.

Sorry, I know this was not helpful :/

I think it means just break, not break up. But yes things also don't look good when they say they want space to figure things out, could mean they are re-thinking the whole relationship.

• It's a cop out.