17 and never had a boyfriend? I can't relate to anyone?

I've never had a boyfriend before. I just feel like I am too mature for guys my age and can't relate to then at all. They like partying, smoking weed and sex, but I'm looking for an actual relationship. I like painting and art, hiking, nature, meditation, listening to grunge music. No one has the same interests as me. Except for this one guy who is and amazing painter, and lives john Lennon and Jimi Hendrix just like me. But I'm too shy to talk to him. I'm pretty introverted and would rather spend time by myself with my thoughts and art. I don't see the fun or benefit in partying until you're sick. I feel like such an outcast. I'm not though, I have friends but they don't really know the real me. I think I'm such a freak and I don't know what to do. I know I'm young and shouldn't be worrying about this, but I feel like everyone has been in a relationship but me. I feel like something is wrong with me. I guess I'll just wait until the right guy comes around...

Ya I'm graduating in June. I'm taking a year off to save up money and work on my art portfolio. My mom wants me to travel Asia or Europe but I don't think that's going to happen. I want to be an art teacher, or something to do with art.

Most Helpful Girl

• Welcome to reality. You're in high school, so it may seem like everyone around you is infatuated with relationships, but that will all go away once everyone grows up.

I didn't have a boyfriend until I was 21. I had such self esteem issues in high school because I felt like no one liked me. I was attractive, but shy and hated myself.

Then I went to college and realized nobody cares about the drama of high school. What's more: a lot of people have never been in a relationship and feel the same way.

Long story short: don't be so hard on yourself. What you're going through is normal.

• Thank you! This helps a lot, I just have to try and remember this. I just really hate high school and can't wait to leave this town.

• Believe me, I know. In high school, everyone is raging with hormones and it's all about guys and girls and who's dating whom. As soon as you get out of high school, though, you realize nobody cares. I know it's hard now, but soon enough it won't be a big deal.

And thanks for MH! I'm glad I could help :)

What Guys Said 7

• I wasn't in the same boat, but was in the same sea as you before. I wasn't like a lot of other guys. I was well rounded. I didn't want sex. I wanted a real relationship. Once I got over my shyness and went after a girl I found out we had at least some major things in common and boom...relationship.

Now, she turned out to be a cold hearted bitch, but that's a different story than the point in trying to make in this post.

If you don't feel you need a relationship (and trust me, they take A LOT of time and effort to maintain, even if both partners aren't actually in love like in my case). Pursue your passion first, then relationship after of that's what you want.

• As you hinted, you don't see much in common with the majority of people around you - so to find someone compatible, you have to just find those who match your likes...it will be harder, but not impossible. The shyness won't really ever help, though.

• First off, go talk to people you like.

Second, are you in high school? What are your plans for next year?

• First, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnAa7rqtBM

Then, giggle.

Just lose your shit until you get tired of it and it's no longer fun.

• it happens to men and women... there is no need to hurry

• first world problems, tell me about it

• 24 and never had a gf

What Girls Said 2

• I got my first real boyfriend at 17. So don't worry.

• I have never had a bf either and I'm 18 almost 19. But I am very shy and don't like to socialize.