Why would my dad be hostile towards me dating a guy from a different race?

I don't like racist people and it breaks my heart that my dad is showing his true colors. I don't want my dad to be ashamed or mad at me. But I can't decide for my heart. If i fall for a guy that's not white I can't help it? It just happens. Skin color shouldn't be an issue. Why does it have to be like this, it's 20014 for gods sake! :/

2014* lol
I do have my own place, I share an apartment with a roommate. I just love my dad, and I don't want him to be mad at me.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's funny how some people can have friends of other races and ethnicities but as soon as someone they know dates someone of another race then they have something to say about it. People who have problems with interracial relationships obviously think of other races as being of inferior genetic stock. There really is no way around that reality.

What Guys Said 11

• Maybe because he wants you to date someone from the same race and he doesn't want person from a different race in his family. He may also want the keep the traditional pure race that he thinks he has in the family going on and your breaking it by doing that. Some people don't like how other races think, feel and act or how there known for thinking, feeling and acting. Even though this is 2014 a lot of people wasn't born in 2014 so they get there way of feeling and thinking from in the past when things were different. And just because things change don't mean they do. Its considered taboo to think and feel a certain way now but it wasn't in the past. To them it may still be right or okay to think or feel that way. Not justifying it just giving food for thought. Just like your way of thinking and feeling is going to be different from your children in the future unless you change with the times. I would try to say race is one of many differences that some of has with each other but we call are human. Which goes without saying but some people don't think that way. When we think that we have really changed, just think of how people who think there not racist think when they see a bi racial couple. Does that person just glimpse like it isn't anything wrong or do they stare for a moment and or look at there children to see which child has which races features. In my opinion if the person stares or does anything then just glimpse like it is anyone else then there is still something wrong going on. In my opinion we are so ready to judge but we are not purely innocent ourselves. We need to be a little more sympathic to other people and but at the same time not justify it.

• Well I think you answered your own question. Apparently your dad has some racist feelings inside him...especially when it comes to who's with his daughter.

• He prolly believes in the "white genocide" agenda.

Read about it online and you'll see what i'm talking about.

• Well, you like the guy it's your business who you date
    your not dating a certain guy to make your dad happy
    your doing it cause your happy, your 18-24 age range
    move out of your house, get your own place, live your
    own life as long as it's healthy living

• Date a guy whose making you happy, no matter what the guys race is, your dad should butt out of your life cause your age 18-24, if your life style and relationship is healthy that's all the matters.

• it's called racism. Ever read a thing called U.S. history?

• I need more to go on. Has he always been against interracial couple or just you. Dads do believe that no one is good enough for their little girl.

• He has black and Hispanic friends so I don't know wth is up with him.

• I don't think race should be a problem. But for sure, religion is. Also, even if religions are same, some cultures are way too far apart and difficult to adapt to or accommodate. Not sure where u fall in this scenario.

• Just understand its hard for people who grew up a certain way to change late. Pity him instead of being mad. But don't cripple your experience with diversity.

• your dad might be hostile toward every guy, have you ever brought a white guy home? my friend date a girl and thought her dad was racist but it turns out he just don't want any guy near her. i suggest talking to your dad about it.

• Ignoramus!

• if the same guy came along, but was white, would you date him...who's actually the racist in this situation here, eh?

• Physical preference isn't racism. Is not wanting to date someone of your gender homophobia?

• Perhaps if there was another guy who had the exact same personality as the guy she's dating she would date him. Or perhaps she just prefers the physical appearance of the guy she's dating over the physical appearance of other's.

• but why though is the question, im not asking how

What Girls Said 2

• A lot of people simply believe that people should only date within their own race. Your dad is probably just one of those people. I can relate. My boyfriend is black and I've experienced more than my fair share of negative responses from family members.

It sucks but in the end, it's your life and you should do what makes you happy. I understand that you may want his acceptance but in some cases, that is unrealistic. It's unlikely that his opinion will change so you'll just have to accept that and either date only white men or be prepared to handle the consequences that could arise from dating someone of a different race.

Believe me, I know it sucks. But you just need to do what is best for you. I am a firm believer that people should date who they want regardless of outside influences. It may be more difficult to do that though. So, it just depends on how you truly feel and what you want.

• The guy I'm dating is Mexican American and he's sweet, tall and handsome, he's very family oriented and his family treats me amazing! Maybe my dad should get to know them better before judging.

• Because I find him attractive, I like him and he likes me. Him being Mexican has nothing to do with it. Like honeybee says, it's my life and if my dad doesn't approve then too bad. Because that won't stop me from being happy.

• im just saying, if you have the same exact guy, one is white, one is mexican, one is black, one is native American etc..why does it HAVE to be mexican to you...what's wrong with the other races?

• Some people just are