GIRLS: I asked a girl to go to a movie and got "turned down" - I was 95% sure she liked me, BUT she is from a CULTURE which does NOT ALLOW DATING?

I like a girl and am 95% sure that she likes me. Only problem - her culture/religion does not allow dating AT ALL (and no spending time alone with guys). She is 24, and her parents yelled at her because she wasn't home by 10:00PM last night. It is QUITE "repressive" in some ways.

I texted her the next day and I asked how things went with her parents... she opened up to me and told me how it sucks to be yelled at as an adult, and that she cried last night. I consoled her and told her that she is awesome... after a couple texts I made the suggestion to go to a movie that we had both expressed interest in. She took a while longer than usual to respond and said "I'm going to keep it the going out to a minimum for the next little while so that I get back on my mom's good side :P" to which I replied "That's probably a good idea, good luck :)", and she said "haha thanks :)".

I initially got super bummed and took it as "rejection", but started thinking that - it REALLY felt like there were feelings there between us, and that most likely it was just the serious religious/cultural stuff surrounding it... does the fact that she returned the smiley face :) in that last text hold significance at all?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it is her culture so I don't think that there is anything you could change about that. I would just get to know her more and she how much she follows her culture. Like if it is her or her parents that want her to do things the way of that culture. Really all you can do is learn about it, I'm sure you will learn a ton of interesting things so either way it could be a great experience! :)

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• In the majority of cases where a nice looking girl is single there is a reason she is single, this is why she was single when you met her and why she will remain single for the un forseen future. The majority of good looking girls that are single are single because they have issues and too much drama in their lives, or instances like in your case. There are very rare instances where a girl is single because she chooses to be maybe because she has been in a past relationship that went to shit and wants some time to herself or because she wants to just focus on her life, plans and goals.

• The smiley face means... I'm not going to cynical. No. She probably likes you but is devoted to her cause and will not shift for that.

• Does it matter? In the end, you're not going out with her.