GUYS AND GIRLS : Would you stick by a guy that is addicted to weed?

The guy I am seeing is 27 and addicted to weed.

Managed to finish his bachelor degree in accounting and looking to get his CPA. I like him, we get along very well...we have so many things in common...upbringing, life experiences, musical taste, food taste, etc.

He knows that smoking weed isn't good and he wants to stop...but not until he has learned to deal with the issues he faces everyday without crutching on weed.

Should I bother sticking around? Have some of you gone through similar phases? How would you deal with someone like that?

Most Helpful Guy

• ok...I don't smoke anymore. But, through further research, it's absolutely NOT addicting. Anyone that says it is, they are full of it. The reason people get "addicted" to something, is through the actual substance your body mistakes for it's actual hormone, or through the substance itself. Nicotine. Nicotine is stored, in the body, and brain, without the perpetual habitual use of it, the body craves the nicotine, since its source, that's stored from using, is depleted, your body wants the cigarette/nicotine. Drugs, such as cocaine. While using cocaine (as with other drugs similar) endorphins in your brain are secreted. The moment your endorphins are gone, your body craves the substance it substituted for the actual hormone. Once you replenish it with the pseudo substance (the drug) an addiction is formed, for the body can't recognize the difference between the natural hormone or the substituted drug.

Weed. Absolutely non habit forming. There's no substitute in the body for it to recognize the natural material. it's like going outside and eating wild onions. it's found naturally in the soil, your body doesn't have any misconception of the nutrients from the plant to any other thing found. So, he likes weed, because of it's calming nature. He's NOT, I repeat NOT addicted to it. He may show signs of an addicted personality, and needs it because he THINKS he needs it, but if her were to stop cold turkey, there will be no adverse effect, or withdrawls without it.

• Hey. I really appreciate your feedback, it meant a lot for me. He is a good guy looking for his path in life. I wouldn't want his smoking habits to be a deal breaker. I guess I just need to know that he could stop and that whatever the underlying cause is for reaching out to weed will get better/fixed.

What Guys Said 6

• its not addictive, I definitely know that, tried it a few times, it isn't great but not addictive. this means that he just really likes it, A LOT!

the problem lies in "who" are you with, him or someone who is just high or wants to be or would rather be high than sober. is he being who he really is, do you know who he really is yet?

I had a lot of friends who got high all the time, they stopped doing fun things like skateboarding and music and smoked weed. it changed them. they were never the same

• I wouldn't date a girl that was always high, if she did it maybe once a week and nobody in my family knew then I'd be ok

• It actually is addictive I was addicted to it for years smoking it everyday, wanted to quit but couldn't.

• it's a crutch

• I get prescribed weed now by a doctor. I doubt he'd sign me up for anything harmful. The culture is changing, weed is moving away from being grouped with traditional "drugs." Definitely not something to leave someone over as long as he handles his business.

• Where we live, you can go to jail for possession of weed...so I am worried for him...especially since he is just getting his life back together.

• Hello my Dear,
    How are you today?
    I appreciate your reply to honor my request, I hope you are in perfect peace and health with your family, my heart is filed with gladness that you honor my request because relationship do not care for age, color, distance or tribe if we like each other, rather, we shall make impossible to become possible to meet together no matter the distance or tribe.i want to share things in common with you, compare our past life, present and future experiences to exercise joy and happiness all the days of our life.

• Yes I'd stick around it's probably the only drug that isn't really a big deal. And if you two really like each other I'm sure he will stop it eventually if you make him happy enough:))

• He need an incentive really. If pot is his way of winding down, he needs a new way that doesn't get him hooked to a substance. I am not usually in favour of controlling people, but maybe you should let him know that you don't want a relationship if he has to use pot as his crutch. Then when he agrees to slow it down, make sure he does.

People use alcohol as a crutch in the same way, and you wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who solves their problems with alcohol.

• Addicted is bad. Nothing wrong with smoking weed, but no addiction is a good thing

• I know. It's sad when people don't realize their worth and need an addiction to hide behind...

• I guess the only wrong about it is that in drives under the influence of weed...and well...that's dangerous.

• Yeah I've done that. Bad idea.

What Girls Said 5

• I would, sadly. And trust me, I didn't use to think so. But I would, only if I believe in his ability to quit. I've helped someone quit before.

• Well the good thing is that he isn't in denial and knows that it isn't good for me...for his career...he is at the stage where he is afraid to not be high...because he feels like he will not be happy if he isn't happy...so definitely issues to deal with! What was your situation...how did you help that guy...are you still with that guy?

• We want only the best for one another. So...while we work on ourselves to be able to make a better decision and get to know each other...we're simply...there for each other and supportive. When I'm looking for work, when I hit my car, when I need arms to fall into...it's him. And vice versa. We talk once a day, even if only to check in and flirt. Other than that, no. We've put it out there, we've discussed our potential...but neither of us are ready for that yet. It's not personal to one another and it's something we're both in the same boat on. I'm not ready to believe we'll end up together yet though. Neither is he. We're just sticking around and letting things happen. It can seem a flawed thing, but for us...we're exactly what we need...someone who understands and someone who fills a role no one else has ever been able to.

• Wow that's amazing. it's crazy...we have the same thing going on...we are both at sensitive periods of our lives...I think right now we are just enjoying getting to know each other more and just enjoying each other's feedback and we support each other...it's weird because I have never felt as connected to someone as I do to him...and that's because he makes me feel comfortable...and he is very much honest about all of his struggles and overall life...thank you for your message...it is inspiring and encouraging.

• Maybe he's going through a hard time with his pass... and maybe that's how he relaxes his mind... he needs to get therapy. .. he needs to talk to someone. .. or maybe you should sit down with him and ask him what's the reason for him doing it
    it could be stress...
    i had sort of the same problem but i stick around and i found out his parents was stressing him out and i help him solve the problem but take him fun places... A vacation in another country... just for him to relax and he stop ♡♥

• I am aware of the trigger points in his life and I am doing everything possible to help steer him in the right direction but at the same time, I am his gf first, not his mother or sister...and ultimately it is his decision to make as to when he would be ready to quit...and if life goes on without him quitting or at least finding a healthy way of dealing with his issues, then I might go on without him...thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!

• Accounting is a TON of stress. He chooses to deal with it using weed. It's not addiction; weed is non addictive.

No I wouldn't date someone who chose to cope with their problems like that though.

• Have you ever smoked weed before? I don't think that you should just pass on a wonderful relationship because a person smokes weed. He has gone to school and made something of himself so weed hasn't caused any problems. If it were something like meth or painkillers I could see how it may be a problem. Honestly i don't think that the use of weed should hold you back from having a potentially wonderful relationship. But i also don't think you should continue with the relationship if you will continue to see it as a problem because it would just be dragging out the relationship.

• I smoked with him and probably could use more often as I am generally a high strung person who talks a lot and weed just shuts me down completely...but I just don't like the feeling of being high. As for him...I know that he is fucking smart because most often than not, I am completely sober and he is high...and so I can tell. What saddens me is that he has a huge lack of confidence...which I know is enabling his addiction to weed...I wouldn't want to drop him just because of that. I think that he is a good person that has had a harder time coming into his own...I would just be worried that he never did recover from his lack of confidence and therefore, used weed as a crutch to getting through life.

• As long as it doesn't disturb his daily activities or your relationship I don't see why you wouldn't stick with him. No addiction is good, but there are various addictions that aren't frowned upon like the drug addiction.

• Yeah. The only thing I am worried about is his commitment to work and life in general...his addiction is sort of hiding a depression...a quarter life crisis...