Do you really need to date around to figure out what you like and what you don't? To find your tastes and whatnot?

I disagree because I feel some people just don't need that kind of experience to know what they want.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes people should date around to figure out what they like and dislike. Otherwise your opinion ends up coming from a place of ignorance. You might get lucky and end up with someone you are a good match for, but chances are you would end up with someone that has traits you will hate, but didn't realize at the time was going to be so bad. Likewise you are going to miss out on traits, you didn't realize was important to you.

What Guys Said 6

• YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
    AND it makes you appreciate the finest attributes of those you've loved
    I should have shopped around much more than I did... to avoid that Titanic experience back then

• some do, some don't
    personally i think everybody knows what they like and want from a relationship, many just settle because what they want seems out of reach

• I would day most people do most of the time.
    We think we know what we want but then we get it and we're like meh.
    Its like seeing something that looks like it taste really good but then biting into it and not liking it.
    Some people get lucky and find their special person on the first try, but that's very rare.

• Most people are are mainstream. If you're mainstream, you can fit well with almost anyone. If you start getting into freaky shit, you're fucked.

• Dating helps you work out how a relationship works and what it demands to work and of course how people react when in a relationship, because once your in a relationship, things are no longer the same, x

• Yes, I think you do.

I remember I disagreed with that sentiment when I hadn't really gone on any dates or anything. Then as time went on I realized there's so much more to relationships than what I thought in terms of finding the right person. It's all the little things you don't think about that end up really mattering.

What Girls Said 5

• If I didn't date then... I don't know how else I'd go about it doing it. Dating seems logical to me. You basically try someone out and see if there's a spark and chemistry. I know more or less what I like in a guy and what my taste is but the problem is some guys might initially create the impression that they are everything but then later on you realize you weren't as compatible with them as you thought you were and conflicts in personalities can arise. You need time to get to know someone and to see if they are really the ideal partner for you in the long run.

• I'm not talking about daum long term but more so dating multiple people at the same time. What you are describing sounds like a relationship.

• Dating several people makes sense. What if you end up investing all your time and energy into someone and then only a few weeks down the line realize it isn't meant to be. Then you could have potentially lost out on someone great for you. Time is precious!

• At first, I had the same train of thought as yours. Why do you need to go through heartaches in order to know what you like in others? But it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to answer that question without testing the waters. People are unique and everyone is different. I remember very well when I thought I could only date a guy if he had characteristics of my mental checklist. Was he funny? Intelligent? Did he enjoy the same hobbies as me? Well, later I threw that checklist to hell because it's so unrealistic! What you like in one person, you might not like in the other. For example, if I liked a boy's sense of humor and later met another person, maybe that other person could be too awkward to throw jokes all the time. Some characteristics fit better some people.

• if you've only had 1 flavor of ice cream how do u know strawberry's your favorite? get some experience

• Well, I dated a certain number of guys. After all the dating process, I got to know myself better, I got to find out that I might or might not like this or that behaviour, etc.
    I don't think that you "need" to date to figure out what you like, as in it is not a necessary stage, but it can enlighten you and teach you things you weren't aware of.

• I feel like I know myself and what I like but I'm also 24 and completely inexperienced. But I also know that finding a fit for me may prove to be challenging. Or not, if I look in the right places. But probably.