Is it weird that I'm 20 and I like a guy who is 36?

Last weekend I went out to a very close friends house for a graduation party. This guy, Josh, and I hit it off. I'm a little shy when it comes to the opposite sex and attraction. Not to mention he's 36 and I'm 20. As the weekend went on everyone egged it on and encouraged us to get to know each other. Well the weekend ended and I went back home. I came back this weekend to see my Goddaughter and visit, secretly hoping to see him as well. Unfortunately it was brief. Yesterday this guy my age started talking to me and he really likes me. He's a nice guy and very cute, but I have no feelings. My mind is fixated on this grown man. I can't shake him. Any advice or opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not common (you're part of a minority), but it's not weird.It might look more normal if you were 25 and him 36.
    You can't choose when you were born, and sometimes you just get along with people and age doesn't matter.If he's in good condition, he'll do anything as well or better than men your age.It's understandable that you like him, and I don't think it's weird.

When you're an adult, condition and ability matters more than age.If anything, he's taking the bigger risk here.If it makes you happy, go for it.

I've had some good times with women 20 years younger, give or take a few.Age wasn't a problem, if they had their head together.

What Guys Said 7

• I think most girls your age don't like men my age, but a significant minority do.

However expect to get a certain amount of surprise from women your age, hate from women his age, and complaining from guys your age.

But its your life, so screw them.

• no its not weird girls are notoriously more mature then guys and often prefer older men. i would say go for it but be aware you will still mature more and he will not so you may grow apart. and even tho thats true you may still learn enough about love and yourself to make it worth it. so do what you feel is right but take care of yourself

• no its not

• Any romantic thoughts that linger for one particular person suggests you need closure, or a reality check (no, don't post a Rate Me question!).

• Oh, completely weird and happens to no girls. Now go peruse the 10k other threads on here by young girls asking why they like guys 10, 15 years older than them.

If men take care of themselves, they get more attractive around 30. They've got confidence, experience, probably money in their pocket.

• I didn't ask why I like him, I know why. I'm asking for opinions or advice.

• Ok. Opinion. Well, it's not weird. There's tons of girls posting on this website alone that like older guys.

Advice: before you get all emotionally involved, do you really think there's room for something serious between you two? Or are you going to be his friends with benefits or something, an ego booster?

• 16 years is a pretty large gap, and you're probably at totally different stages in life.

Just be aware that he may be using you. A 36 year old guy bagging a 20 year old sounds like standard guy-bragging fodder.

• I've considered the using part. And that's what really throws me off. Like what does a grown man want with me? Besides the obvious. Sex hasn't come up yet, but it's definitely lurking around. The way I see it, when I'm 30, he will be 46. Now that doesn't seem so weird, right?

• found out if he is with some one that knows him and go from there

What Girls Said 5

• It's only weird if you're not used to dating older men.
    If he treats you right, I think you should go for it.

You are both adults.

• Yes. That's only 6 years younger than my dad a.k.a my dad has friends that young. But whatever, it's your preferences. Do what you want, it's legal. He was 18 when you were a toddler but it's ok. It's fine. He can drink and gamble and hold a gun, you can't. I'm not trying discourage you.

• You make very good points. But his age doesn't bother me. What he did twenty years ago doesn't bother me. Is being at two very different points in our lives, bothers me. When I'm 40 and he's 56, will that even matter?

• I think as long as you both are comfortable with the age difference, it's not a big deal. If you guys have things in common and get along is the bigger issue.

• Yes its weird honestly ://

• Considering he is almost twice your age a little bit