Love or Religion? Which would you choose?

My sister had a Muslim boyfriend who was quite religious. By dating him, my sister lost a lot of her freedom, such as the clothes that she wanted to wear might have been too short for him and he even controlled what she could and could not eat. To me, this is going too far but my sister was blinded by love until he threw the question onto her. "If you want to be with me forever, you will have to convert for me." What would you do in this circumstance? In my opinion, i think there are other factors that need to be considered such as one's own personal values and beliefs. Personally, I would never convert for anyone as I believe converting for someone is another way of them asking me to change my identity and who i am for them. I could probably write a whole essay on this topic haha, but what would you do? :)

Okay so by 'religion' I mean more as in someone's own personal beliefs and not literally like Christianity or Muslim. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• No if i were to date a religious person they better keep it personal for themselves or we wouldn't date at all.

Also for your sister tell her it's not worth converting because once you convert she's technically binded by their "islamic" laws and depending on what country you are based in its a one way street and leaving it can get you killed.

What Guys Said 7

• This question is moot for me, because I wouldn't date a member of a proselytizing religion (like Christianity and Islam) in the first place.

• What an idiot! The men in your family must be hyper-beta to allow this. In Islam only Muslim men can marry non-Muslims, and only if they raise the kids as Muslims, which makes it clear that marriages like your sisters are all about stealing the women of the enemy. If I was her brother I would have killed both of them, Muslim style.

• Without even thinking about it, love.
    Are we seriously still letting religion interfere with love? It's 2014.

• Sorry, didn't read the whole question. I'm not religious at all, I don't have a religion. I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic. Basically, religion and relationships for me are two COMPLETELY separate things and shouldn't have anything to do with each other in my opinion.

• This one of the moments where one realizes , how religion contradicts or hinders our own instinct or liife..

• Religion Is Bullshit

• I like turtles what should I do? Its her choice if she wants that let it be

• Buy a turtle? :P she didn't agree, just wondered what others would do in this situation, that's all.

• If she doesn't want to do it then find someone else and I can't buy turtle my GF would beat me up :P

• Aw, haha! I've always wanted a turtle. Still planning on getting one someday and naming it Squirtle :) or Franklin!

• I'd never convert to a religion that made me a 2nd class citizen.

What Girls Said 7

• We have to meet half way. I would never be able to do that. My life would be dreadful if I followed any religion without the right motives. I'm not religious at all, and if the person truly loved me he would understand if I rejected it.

• Islam as a religion is fascinating but I would never, ever convert so that it would become my lifestyle. Technically all religions have some good points, then again so does communism and social Darwinism...

• I would take converting religion slowly. But, in general I think the idea should be taken as a new learning experience. Changing in a relationship is inevitable and in this case it effects your religious preferences. I would honestly try it for my SO. I don't think it's an act of control or manipulation but sharing an extremely important passion with someone you care about.

• I wouldn't let him convert me.

• Definitely love.

• I would never convert to another religion.
    And neither would I change my dressing preference. Religion to me doesn't play a part at my personal choices like what I wear who i date etc

• Your sister sould be objective without putting her love the back.