Are there any God fearing people that try to not intentionally do wrong things?

I don't know what you believe or not. What I have come to realize is some people think they can do what they want to do. They think that they govern themselves. Some even think that there is no authority over them, not even laws. I've asked people if a being came to earth where we could see him, touch him and hear him and he proved He was God. Then would you do what He said. If He told you to stop doing wrong things intentionally, stop have sex with the same sex, stop lying, stop killing etc., would you obey. And these people said they wouldn't. I asked even if the consequence was death. They said they wouldn't. When we were children we obeyed our parents. Our parents knew better than us. What is the difference with God? God is all knowing and all powerful. They still said they wouldn't obey Him and still would do what they want to do or what they thought was right. Some even said if they didn't die for doing something they wanted to do, they would keep doing it. That to me is ridiculous. Are people so God less today that if God came here and said I am God and proved it, they wouldn't change. Would you change or what would you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a Christian, and I try to be a good person. I know I'm not the best Christian out there, but I try. In my religion, we believe that if you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, you will be forgiven for your sins. I don't intentionally sin, and I may not follow my religion to a t, but I pray, celebrate religious holidays, and go to church (although I def. should go more than I do). I try my best to treat other people well and I don't treat people badly because I disagree with their beliefs. In the end, I would hope that is what matters.

What Girls Said 11

• If he were a just and kind godlike Christians make him out to be then I would listen. But if he was spiteful and had certain groups of people he hated (like gays) then to me he would just be some higher being that got bored and created us, and not necessarily be divine.
    I would not love a judgmental god, nor would Ifollow cruel 'laws' set by him
    He'd be more like an alien that created us than a true god.

• Thanks for the reply.

• I try to follow the law not because I fear God, but out of love and respect. That is why Jesus said we are to love God and each other it binds all laws together.

• I consider myself God fearing, and I definitely try not to do anything wrong. What I struggle with is standing up to things that are being done that are wrong. I totally understand what you're saying, though. Sadly, it's almost as if people have lost respect for God.

• I struggle with this too, especially at work. At the end of the day I try to keep in mind that:
      1. We are to be light and salt of this earth,
      2. I work in health care so if I don't speak up it may cost someone an injury or death at a later date
      3. God always has my back. Although things may look bad at the moment, with time I have always been vindicated.

Still, I feel you. It's not always easy.

• Agreed

• Thanks! I also struggle with sharing my faith with others; there just never seems to be a chance.

• I think the people who say that are the ones who have not met God at All. And a lot of the times, it's hard for people to accept anything from God if it's impossible for them to even think of the idea that God may possibly be real. And as for the believers, I think once we meet God, we don't follow the laws out of fear, but rather out of love because when we accept God and allow ourselfs to deepen the relationship, the Holy Spirit works in such a way with us that by breaking this laws, we're not only going against God, but also against ourselves since we tend to think like God when we let him work his way with us

• I am a Christian and sadly there are a lot of non believers out there. When you really make an effort to have a relationship with Christ , the love and comfort you feel is wonderful. I do think that there are some people who would not believe...

• Yes, but remember we are not righteous by nature and God understands this. He just wants you to trust him with your issues/happiness.

• He understand but He is also Just and hates sin.

• He understand but He is also Just and hates sin. He gives us the option to choose Him or not choose Him. Choose Him or choose sin.

• Exaaactly. So very true. Justice is fairness and I'd be afraid of him if he wasn't fair.

• God shouldn't have given man free will.

• I kind of consider myself God fearing.

• One half of your question applies to me. :)

• Humans, by nature, are flawed. We all sin. We can try to do good things but there will be times when we mess up.

I try to be a good person. I never do anything illegal. i try to love people like God tells me. But I think you should also try to understand that not everyone agrees with what is "wrong." I'm religious, but I don't think that having sex with the same sex is wrong. And before you say that the Bible says "man shall not lie with another man," consider that the Bible also tells us not to eat shellfish or wear mixed fabrics. Is wearing a cotton/polyester blend also wrong? The Bible is God's word but it was written by men, and men are flawed. I don't think God says that Love is wrong, so I see nothing wrong with gay sex.

• I don't know your faith. But in my faith Christianity, the bible was written by mean that were filled with the Holy Spirit. It was like you using a pen to write, the pen is doing the writing but your working the pen. God used men to write the bible so God actually wrote it. The best way to follow the Christian bible is to understand it and then follow it. If you don't understand it you may misunderstand somethings and not follow it correctly. The bible is God's way of telling us what is right and wrong. He speaks through the bible to us. Almost like you writing a letter to someone. God says many things are wrong in the bible like killing, stealing, sex with the same sex, sex before marriage and etc. People think Christians pick and choose what to follow in the bible. True Christians who understand the bible don't pick and chose, they understand what is says not to do, to do and what is just examples of how to act or they miss the mark because there not perfect.

• @Opinion Owner, like when it says don't do something they think is a command but sounds silly then they compare it to don't do something that doesn't sound silly. I guess that person is like if God said don't do this and it is silly then why should I go by when He says don't do that other thing that does make sense. One way I used before I knew what I know now is I spoke with a person I trusted that was already a true mature Christian that knew a lot about the bible already. I figured that since I trust them, they wouldn't steer me wrong so I spoke with them to see what they said. This was before I even became a Christian. But I do understand that some people need more than that to prove they should or shouldn't do something. So all I can say is learn if you can.

• I am a Christian, I was raised Catholic but I don't follow what the Church says blindly. I have had questions and talked to different people about them. I don't want to just listen to what one person says because everyone can have different interpretations of religion and the Bible. So I listen to what many people have to say and then come to my own conclusions. Personally I think it is better to form your own beliefs rather than blindly following what someone else says. I think your faith is stronger if you personally figure it all out for yourself.

What Guys Said 10

• I guess blind obedience just isn't my strong suit. To turn your own analogy around a bit; it's perfectly natural for children to question their parents rather than blindly obey, and that's why each generation keeps surpassing the last one. It's precisely because we question laws and opinions that we no longer enslave people whose skin color is different, why women can now vote and own property and why the death penalty isn't applied to most breaches of conduct these days.

It's a matter of how we decide if something is right or wrong, what you suggest is that we revoke our right to decide anything at all and leave it into the hands of - pun unavoidable - god knows what. Even if this hypothetical omnipotent being made itself known, would you blindly obey *anything* it commanded? I mean come on, I think we can both agree that some of what scripture tells us on right, wrong and punishment is absolutely bonkers.

Cursing your parents? Death.
    Working on sundays? Death.
    Disobeying your parents? Death.
    Refusing to obey a priest? Death.
    Falsely claiming a woman is a virgin at marriage? Death.
    And the list goes on. Why don't you blindly accept these commandments but bring the hammer down on gay people without question? It seems to me like you've made a choice of your own what you believe is right or wrong, try to see what the process behind that choice was and test it against all your beliefs. You'll probably surprise yourself.

• I understand you go by your thinking and reasoning. But can you compare yourself to a all knowing being and all powerful being. I know my brain is limited. We are finite and God is infinite. Surely He knows better than we do. My analogy was based on a comparison to other humans but not an infinite being. I guess some people will still do what they think even if the being could wipe out the whole planet with just a thought. Sometimes I think it would be different if it was actually happening and not just on the internet. But I'm starting to figure out that some people think they are the top of the food chain.

• Well, the consequence of this reasoning is that breaking whatever laws will be totally fine as long as you repent before you die. Sin away, just keep that in mind?

• @Opinion Owner, That is right if you truly to do repent and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Saying the words or even thinking you do is not good enough. You have to truly believe and have faith that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, rose three days later, for the hope of everlasting life and He is your Lord and Savior. AND also confess this with your mouth. Short of that you will not be okay. Some people don't understand that once you truly do these, you don't want to sin anymore and have someone inside of you (the Holy Spirit) that pushes you not to sin constantly. You even feel bad when you do sin even when not intentional. And if it is intentional, that is really convicting. I hear people say that being "Saved" which is what this is called, gives you a license to sin. Actually when you are truly saved, you don't want to use the license. You want to try to be as righteous, holy and good as Jesus is. You can't reach Jesus's level but you will try.

• Uh..YES. I've had a Deacon of Church (past landlord) Fuck me over on a lease agreement. Dude had no shame, really played up the god angle to get me to sign papers. You'd be surprised how many "god fearing" folks seem to believe god isn't always looking. Important lesson to remember, not all monsters you meet in life look like "monsters".

• Thanks for the reply.

• I always try to do the right thing not just becuase I fear god but becuase it's the right thing to do.

• Thanks for the reply.

• I'm not God fearing, I'm afraid of the law and judgement. To quote Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, I'm "the sort of person who's not afraid of doing wrong, but rather afraid of being caught."

• I've read the Great Divorce, and I feel that even experiencing God is not enough to get people to look past their own noses.

• Thanks for your reply.

• Yup im one of those people that always tries to do good. :)

• Thanks for the reply.

• But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it.

• I'd probably obey. I mean proving it would take something pretty extreme as just injecting that knowledge so why act up? Defiance without reason is just a tantrum.

• Yep if I knew more sure I would change

• Thanks for the reply.

• I wouldn't change, no. If there is a god, I was made this way, and experienced what I experienced, to derive my sense of right and wrong to be as such. My existence would have been this Gods intention. It wasn't an accident I belief something is right or wrong. So I follow what I believe to be right because either A. it is the only right there really is or B. God intended me to see it as right. The only way I could have this sense of right and wrong and it WASN'T intended by God is if God made a mistake, causing my sense of right and wrong to be flawed- not as God intended.

If that's the case, why the hell would I listen to that God now? God fucked up the whole plan, who knows how many times God fell asleep at the wheel but now I'm just supposed to take this God's word for it, to trust God's word that this time there's no fuck ups? Nope. I am who I am either because God intended it or because God is a fuck up or because there's no God dictating any of this.

In all three scenarios, I follow my sense of right and wrong.

• That's interesting how you say that. If a all knowing and all powerful being created me and told me to do anything, I would try to do it. I know that the way I think and the way I reason is limited but the way he thinks and reason is not. Just considering He could wipe out the whole planet with a thought is enough for me to try to change. I'm not sure where we get our guts for saying the things we say but it might be different if it was to actually happen instead of just talking on the internet. But who knows some people would rather die than let someone tell them what to do, say, think and feel. Even if it is God.

• No, you just believe you know the truth when it comes to the creator of the entire universe. I stick by the word arrogance, it fits pretty well.

• @Opinion Owner, Agree to disagree but thanks for the reply.