Is it ok to go on a date with someone you're not really interested in romantically, just to go out and have good conversation and company?

I had been married (divorced now for a few years) and I married my highschool sweetheart, so I haven't any dating experience.

I'm asked out and have gotten interest from guys lately but I can tell easily they aren't my type, and so I figure it is a waste of our time.

But is this what everyone does? Or do you accept the invitation for a date, go have a good time and leave it at that? I guess I just don't know what to do afterwards. It's not that I see no chance of ever liking someone more, but based off what I assume- that my feelings won't change, is it not too awkward to accept a date when you know it won't go anywhere? Is it wasting their time or leading them on?

I just realize deep down I wouldn't mind meeting guys and seeing what's out there and just making connections, having a good time or good conversation at least.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's wholly wrong to go on a date when you know you have no interest in the guy. That's basically the definition of leading someone on.

now if you tell him 'I'm not really ready to date' OR 'I don't have feelings for you that way but would love to get together sometime as friends' ... then I think it's ok

• Yes this is helpful. I can't stand awkwardness and if they get the wrong idea that will certainly ensue.

• exactly you also don't want a guy trying to make moves or flirting if you have no interest

What Guys Said 3

• you can go out and have fun just let your intentions be known and see if they are okay with that, otherwise they will feel like you just used them for free food and entertainment.

• As long as you make it clear from the beginning that you have no romantic intension, sure go and have fun.

But please don't lead a guy on and make him false hopes, that is just dishonest and cruel.

• It's perfectly fine to go on the date, have a good time, and just not have a second date. It would be nice if you didn't let the guy pay for everything though.

What Girls Said 2

• I think going out on one date with someone when you know you're not interested in them long-term romantically it is okay. Anything past one date might be considered leading them on though. A lot of people do this because they are lonely. If you go out on a date with someone and you know for sure you won't want to see him again, maybe pay for your half of dinner or whatever it is you do? This happened to me once, where I was out on a date with a guy I had met online and during the date I realized there was just no way this would go anywhere, so I tried to enjoy the moment and dinner, paid for my half of drinks and dinner, told him it was nice to meet him and left it at that. When he asked for a second date a week or so later, I told him I had enjoyed meeting him but didn't feel a connection. Never got a response.

• It's more than fine to do that! That way, you can get to know the person more and maybe he might turn out to be more than you thought he was going to be and something great can spark out of it. If not, you can have new friends and just learn more about what your likes and dislikes are when it comes to dating. Experience is always good!